Reviews for A Lesson Learned, a Lass Found
Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 7/6/2013
Good gap-filler story.

In agreeing with another reader/reviewer, it's nice to read stories that help fill in the gaps for 'The Scouring of the Shire' chapter. In spite of the Ruffians, I'm glad Merry found Estella at Brockenborings.

Nice work, though.

Aria Breuer
Pidgeon Adrian O'Malley chapter 1 . 4/13/2013
I really enjoyed your story! I love Merry, and I love floggings (!) and I love Merry Estella! This was like something that came out of my head! jk lol
Very nice!
AmazingWriter123 chapter 1 . 4/11/2013
Awesome! And I mean it was so brave of Estella to do that
Lyrical Ballads chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
Wow, this is amazing! I love any kind of fanfiction set during the Scouring of the Shire, since it's my favorite part of the books, and this is one of the best Scouring stories I've ever read. I love hobbit angst, especially when it's well-written hobbit angst, and this story is definitely well-written.

You've done a wonderful job portraying Merry, Pippin, and Estella here. It's fun imagining what Estella might have been like, since we never get to meet her in the books, and I really like the way you've portrayed her. I'm also completely in love with certain details you've added to the story, like this part right here:

- Yet now Merry could almost sense that a threat was lurking nearby. It was this sixth sense that he had had ever since Aragorn had saved him from death.

I just love this so much! I never considered the possibility of Merry developing a "sixth sense" as a result of the Black Breath, so you're a genius for coming up with this. It's just so awesome.

And here's another detail I really love:

- There was the Bolger residence burnt from the inside out, the grassy bank that once served as a roof caved in with the support beams.

Seriously, this is so great. I think I sometimes forget that hobbits literally live UNDER the ground, so the roofs are part of the landscape, and reading about the "grassy bank that once served as a roof" provides such a wonderful image.

My only criticism is that the dialogue is a little hard to read sometimes, because you often have two or three characters speaking to each other in one paragraph. I'll give you an example to show you what I mean. Take this paragraph for example:

- The Man looked around with fright, wondering if this whole "uprising" thing was right after all. He released Estella, who immediately ran over to Merry and started weeping while shielding his body with her own in case anything else would happen. "Tie em up." Pippin ordered one of his hobbits after all Men had relinquished their weapons. "Yes sir, Mr. Peregrin sir! They was quick about it weren't they?" the hobbit asked, savoring the moment of victory. "Indeed." Pippin said absently as he excused himself to go over to his two closest friends. Meanwhile, Estella had been sobbing over Merry as if her life depended on it. "Oh, oh Merry! I thought you were dead! T-they said you, Fatty said that you . . . oh dear!" Merry was only moaning that he felt like he was dead. "Let me see your back." Estella insisted with a snivel, turning her friend over onto his front. "Oh how could they!" she sobbed, barely fingering the bleeding whelps all across Merry's back and shoulders.

In order to make this more readable, I'm going to split the paragraph up so that each character is speaking in his or her own paragraph. It should look something more like this:

I would recommend going back and revising your story, but other than that, I really enjoyed this! Excellent job! :)
imagineandsoar chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Okay, first thought;

HOW DARE THEY WHIP MY PRECIOUS MERRY!

Second thought;

SQUEALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

That was so, so good! Merry and Estella and Pippin warm my heart! I must confess I feel very possessive of these guys and during the whole story I was envying how perfect you made them but the story was still amazing, still perfect! I've been wanting to right a Merry/Estella fic during the Scouring of the Shire for awhile and now you've given me incentive. ;) Thanks a bunch, excellant work!
BrisingrGandalf chapter 1 . 7/18/2012
Great story I think I'll write about Frodo and gandalf since youv'e gotten Merry and Pippin covered splendedly. Then I'll sit back and smoke the best stuff from the southfarthing. :)