Reviews for Heart of Gold
LandoLady chapter 6 . 6/30/2014
I've been going through DQ stories on this site for about a year now and had avoided your story because it was about Preston, not my favorite person. But after so many about Sully and Michaela, I thought it was time for a change and got curious. As it turned out, this was a great story! And as a beta reader myself, I loved how accurate the language was and how well written it was. It was as plausible a back story for how Preston came to be Preston as I could have imagined. Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write this touching account. I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel!
isabella2004 chapter 6 . 5/14/2014
I had to read this again after seeing that you had posted a sequel (and thank you for your message re my own story!) This story was so bittersweet but really does bring a whole other dimension to Preston (whom you obviously love as much as I do!) Really, really good! Off to read the sequel!

Isabella xx
gsritalance chapter 6 . 5/27/2013
Hi! It's only now that I have read your work, and all I can say is it was written so beautifully! :) Only mistake I did is reading your work in a public place that made me look crazy because I was literally brawling! Hahahaha! :) I couldn't stop my tears from falling! Never knew Preston could be so romantic! Well wish you will write another fan fiction! :) BRAVO! :)
DrQuinnFan chapter 4 . 5/8/2013
This is the Preston I like...And to find out Clara is dying... So sad...
Sheila Tortorici chapter 6 . 8/27/2012
I know after reading this story, I will never look at Preston the same way again. This story has made him much more dimensional .I think that another story of Preston further growing after such loss would make wonderful reading. Great story and great writing..
KaysKitty chapter 6 . 8/23/2012
What a great story along with great writing in detail of Preston's life. I can now see why Preston was the way he was. It brought out my sympathy vote. Kay
Guest chapter 5 . 8/10/2012
OH no !Say it isn't so! Poor Preston. This really gives you a little insight into the Preston that he becomes. He has shown that he is capable of love and tenderness, but this loss for him must have been so devastating that he would not risk that behavior again. Congratulations to this writer for taking the reader on a journey of wonderful romance and love to the depths of despair and loss. :)
Guest chapter 5 . 8/10/2012
Wow! What an dramatical end of this love-story. I liked your Preston, - so different to that one of the series. Your Preston is an endearing, sympathetic man who loves his sweetheart more than all money of the world. I so much had loved to read a long story about their happiness, and I hope, we will get some more about his future life. And his handling this fate. Maybe there is a sister of Clara he meets by chance? Any chance to continue this story about your loveable Preston and keep him alive for some chapters?
Can't wait to read more of this!
Linda4HIM59 chapter 5 . 8/9/2012
Wow! Let me wipe the water out of my eyes so I can see to type. This was powerful! So bittersweet and poignant. I knew it was coming, but was still surprised that she died so soon. Oh man, I feel so sorry for Preston now! LOL. If the folks in CS knew about this, they would surely think differently of him, lol. Excellent chapter.
KaysKitty chapter 5 . 8/9/2012
My 'heart aches' for Preston. :-( A great, but sad chapter. Kay
Sheila Tortorici chapter 4 . 7/28/2012
Now I really do sympathize with mean ole Preston. His family kills a little part of him each time he talks to them and Clara brought life back to him and now her life is threatened. How can you not feel sorry for this situation? I can see the tragedy that is about to unfold in this story, but I can't wait to see if Preston can come out of this with some sort of positive attributes or will he become a bitter old man like his own father? I will look forward to finding out.
Linda4HIM59 chapter 4 . 7/28/2012
Wow this was intense! Very nicely done. And hey, thanks for the shout out. :) You really caught the ball and ran with it. ;) Preston's brother Robert was everything one would expect a brother of his to be like, lol. Poor Preston. You had some great lines in this, loved the one about walking on hot coals. Great job all around. ;)
KaysKitty chapter 4 . 7/27/2012
Oh Jeez, Consumption! :-( And Isabelle has leprosy. :-( I hope they have enough time to enjoy what little time they have together without his family interrupting them. This is so sad for the couple. And what a Bully his brother is, just like Preston ll. Great writing. Kay
When in doubt, don't.
Guest chapter 3 . 7/19/2012
What GREAT writing and story! I love Clara's spitfire and gumption! Just what Preston 3 needs in his sad life. And how 'smart' he is NOT to bank at his father's establishment! What a curve ball this chapter is. LOL Can't wait for the next chapter! Kay Love the Gaelic! LOL
Sheila Tortorici chapter 3 . 7/19/2012
Very romantic chapter. I could feel the love that was growing between these two people with their playfulness and candor with each other. Also, I got a feel for what a real arse that Preston's father was and had always been. This really set up the story of why Preston left Boston eventually. Reading this as a modern day woman, I really love Clara . She did not cow down to the morals of the day. She is her own woman and thinks for herself which is one thing that Preston loves about her. She gives him courage to stand up as a man to what is pressed upon him by his father. She makes him excited about being his own man and having her by his side to do it. I find myself really pulling for this couple. Looking forward to see how this develops.