Reviews for Anniversary
samuraistar chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
That was beautiful! Great job!
Yva J chapter 1 . 8/30/2012
Lovely story. I really enjoyed reading it and loved the way you wrote both characters. A very thought provoking piece. One that you should be very proud of having written.
konarciq chapter 1 . 7/30/2012
Not a lot of fun indeed - but touching and beautiful it certainly is. I was pleasantly surprised by all the subtle but significant consequences of Carolyn's becoming a widow you touched upon. Nothing was ever the same for her again, and the way people were so polite and tried to avoid the elephant in the room sounds awfully true - as does it ending up with her pretty much losing all her friends because they simply don't know how to deal with her, her new situation or her grief.
I particularly liked your insight in her place in the society of Schooner Bay. I had fleetingly been thinking about that myself, but I think you may be very right that she was indeed a bit of an outcast there. Too different from the townsfolk in either one way or another to be able to really fit in with any group. Food for another story perhaps?
And the way the Captain did what he could to keep nightmares away from her was very sweet. I could so see him do that.
In all: thank you for a wonderful story!
GratefullyDead chapter 1 . 7/11/2012
Very nice story. Like, Melchy, i have also reflected of this situation. You have handled it beautifully.
I have to ask if you have read Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking"? You present many questions she explores in her book about death and grief. It is one of the best books written about grief and grieving. Your story was a loving tribute.
gaylesam chapter 1 . 7/11/2012
"Darkness smothered the bay. . ." what a lovely phrase that covers the entire tale. This is one of your very best, I can see and feel the setting and you have captured the characters perfectly. Wonderful insight into a moment they surely discussed one time or another.

Thanks for writing it for everyone!

Gayle
VioletStella chapter 1 . 7/10/2012
Kathy, I don't know if I have really messed up or not. I wanted to respond to your review and it seems this is the only way to do it. Glad to know I am not the only one with issues signing into the site. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on "Anniversary", I always appreciate the time a person takes to read and review. Yes, the Captain has a wonderful tender protectiveness toward Carolyn in this story that surprised even me. He's a keeper.
I'd like to take a moment to thank you for your vids on youtube. When GaMM re-entered my life about a year ago I was so stunningly surprised to find videos. My favorite of yours is, "I, Who Have Nothing", it really does capture the Captain's point of view well, especially the moment when the Captain is staring out the attic window set to the lyric about the window pane.
Thanks, Diane
Melchy chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Darn, this computer. It takes like 20 minutes to log in to fanfic and this time it just wouldn't do it. So, I'm just going to give you a guest review. I loved this story. It was nicely told, and is something I know I've thought of many times concerning Carolyn and her husband. I think my favorite line was "Poor Richard." he thought, he must have been just as bereft of her as she was of him." And thank you for making him a wonderful man she really loved. I get so sick of the husband bashing.

Captain Gregg is so wonderful, isn't he? He truly loves CM so much. Lovely ending.

Kathy.
AnonymousLily chapter 1 . 7/8/2012
Not fun, but beautifully handled. The Saturday night dancing scene evoked a lot of difficult emotions. Oddly enough I had been emailing a friend, wondering if part of the attraction of GAMM as a story was the reassurance of loved ones existing after death. You dealt with this issue in a subtle way. I sincerely hope there are many paths. Thank you for this- and avoiding the all too easy answers.