Reviews for At the Bottom of a Glass
RAGAnne chapter 3 . 5/1/2016
*snort* Yeah, this story demonstrates exactly why a romantic/physical relationship between Kathryn and Tom bothers me. I'm not sure it really did as a teen or in my early-20s but as I got older I recognized that one person having that much power over the other's life/career choices just really doesn't work. Especially in instances when they can "arbitrarily" decide based on their feelings at the time. I love the idea of them being friends even with their differences though.
Photogirl1890 chapter 3 . 9/16/2013
I have read several Thirty Days fics recently, and I realised as I work through your fairly extensive back catalogue that I had not read this one yet.
Anyhow, it's great. This in chapter two especially: "She misses Tom; she really does. He is a child of her own world, more than anyone else aboard Voyager" - I don't think they made enough of that during the series so it's always good to see it mentioned.
Then in chapter three, KJ's explanation: "Because I believe that you are destined to command a starship some day, Tom." and her insights on the other senior staff. It's an interesting explanation, given that she can't know for certain that Tom would be allowed to remain in Starfleet once back in the AQ. Works though very well.
Like how you worked in the "Counterpoint" events, because there is a double-standard on the face of it there to be addressed.
Top class as always.
Delwin chapter 3 . 8/27/2013
Another much delayed review - coming back to this after having spent some quality time with “Thirty Days” makes me appreciate it all the more.
First, your Kathryn and Tom drinking together are irresistible, regardless of the topic of conversation. Perhaps because they so clearly are 'children of the same world'... The moment of their collapsing into laughter together - and the fact that there's a betting pool line on when and if it would happen again - is simply perfect.
I love that the focus of their conversation is on command – both Tom's command potential and Kathryn's command decisions and that the 'resolution' is not an agreement about any particular answer but instead the renewal of the conversation on slightly altered terms ("he knows who he is now") but with the same underlying trust. And knowing that the conversation will be continued through “Choices” and beyond makes it even better.

Absolutely wonderful, as always!
(And, of course, Tom is wearing that leather jacket throughout that last scene which is always a nice little bonus ;))
hester4418 chapter 3 . 5/12/2013
Since you recommended this one to me, I thought I’d start out with it before diving into “Choices”. I read a handful of (non-romantic) J/P stories recently, and their dynamics are really starting to grow on me. Them having grown up in the same circles and thus sharing a familiarity that all the others lack (and probably fail to understand fully) is an interesting point that I never gave any thought before.

Also, I thought the way you reasoned out Janeway's motivations for Tom's demotion and punishment made a lot of sense. It would have been great to see a scene like that on the show, with or without the alcohol (though the slight drunkenness does become them both ;-)).

The most important sentence, in my understanding at least, was Tom’s “I guess I just have to settle for the fact that out here, it *is* your prerogative to make the calls, even if it means one thing one day and another another." In the absence of a “higher Starfleet authority” this is the way it has to be, even if it means that she will contradict earlier orders and actions later.

All in all, I enjoyed this story quite a lot. Loved the word play at the end! :-)
jehc chapter 3 . 11/27/2012
very nice
ancientmaverick chapter 3 . 10/27/2012
First, the review: This episode always bothered me. (Okay, the whole Prime Directive bothers me, but that's never going to be solved.) Part of it is because I'm extremely biased toward Tom Paris. But also because it seemed like such an arbitrary decision for Janeway, who we all know plays a little fast and loose with the rules, sometimes. But I think you managed to get me over my issues and acknowledge that she might have had a point. Excellent writing as always.

Which brings me to this: I'm such a terrible reviewer/reader! I pretty much skipped a summer of fanfic, and am just now catching up. Life, and all that. I'm saving After the Ashes for when I have a decent chunk of time. Probably in another airport, but who knows.

Anyway, much love for this.
JamieRobs chapter 1 . 8/19/2012
I so enjoyed this! I must admit, I read mostly J/C and anything Counterpoint related, and I rarely stray, but something you wrote to someone on VAMB caught my attention, and I wandered over here. And I am so glad I did! This was spot on Paris - Janeway! You captured their voices perfectly, IMHO, and to me that is absolutely essential to my enjoyment of a story. Their exchange was exactly how I imagine it would have been...over a glass of brandy in Sandrines, loved it! I was lost so completely in it that It was as if I was sitting at the table next to theirs listening in! What a great conversation, well written and insightful. I really do love the Paris/Janeway relationship and I realize I need to expand my horizons. I am looking forward to reading more of your work :-)
ME chapter 3 . 7/18/2012
Love it! Especially the ending :-)
Guest chapter 1 . 7/17/2012
It really does warm my fanfiction loving heart to see amazing quality of work still being produced about our 2 most favourate Voyager characters.
Thanks to yourself and the equally talented Runawaymetaphor I can read new J/P to my hearts delight.
I would love to be able to write a lovely prose on how much I've enjoyed this but alas I have to go into R/L and work!
Thanks so much for continuing to share your wonderful stories and please keep it up... you make my day every time you post :-)

Many many thanks

ChrissyTaff
Runawaymetaphor chapter 3 . 7/16/2012
"Yep. Ready to be taken down a notch, My Queen?"

She glares at his impudence, sets down the glass so hard that the remaining contents threaten to slosh over the side, and gets up with somewhat less dignity than he did; or at least so it seems to her. She actually has to grip the sleeve of his leather jacket to steady herself before she can take the cue from his hand.

"Rack 'em, Captain," she says.

. . . . .

Please, dear friend, remind to engineer more of these little trades. I'll just have to make a mental note to get you drunk in between, so you never notice that what you give is of superior quality to what you receive. Saurian brandy I have not. But I happen to know a friend with a wine cellar and a stash of specialty vodka...
Anke chapter 3 . 7/14/2012
Beautifully written – as always. I always wondered how everything went back to normal after “Thirty days” so fast (but not as much as I wondered how Voyager could survive thirty days without or favorite helmsman). And is it only my imagination or did Tuvok wear three pipes at the first episodes?
testpast chapter 3 . 7/14/2012
Beautifully done. I can tell you save the best for the last.
Kerry J chapter 3 . 7/13/2012
Note to self - next time don't forget to log on when you review... duh.

Just to say that this:
"Oh, I finally get around to reading this and I'm actually grateful I got to read it all in one go - it's a great story. I only just watched those episodes recently and have to admit that I avoided 30 Days altogether. I didn't like Janeway very much in it and just didn't feel like watching it, but now after having read your story I think I will. Because I always thought it was slightly unbelievable that after that incident Janeway and Paris would go back to life as it was before just like that. Without clearing the air, so I'm very glad you let that have The Talk and I like even better that it took them two tries to have it. Because I think Tom had a right to be angry at her for a bit longer. I loved the ending though - that it was Chaotica that helped them crack the ice as it were, that made them laugh together again. And the fact that Tom challenged her to a game of pool put a smile on my face. I wonder if this will be the one time he can finally beat her? Great story, thank you!"

was from me.
Guest chapter 3 . 7/13/2012
Guest chapter 3 . 7/12/2012
That was a great ending! From them getting just drunk enough to spill their inner thoughts at last to a not quite mended but a "getting there" sort of end.
56 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »