Reviews for At the Bottom of a Glass
Cerulean.Phoenix7 chapter 3 . 7/12/2012
My, my, Saurian brandy is a most potent drink indeed.

I absolutely love this. All of it. Tom and Kathryn's gradual stroll into intoxication and truth, to filling in those little pieces that the episodes never gave us, to even a hint at Tom's future (and tying it in with your post-Endgame universe no less).

I love that you give us the explanations that we've all been craving, from the reasons why Tuvok, Chakotay and Seven weren't thrown in the brig for their own infractions, to the honesty surfaced by a few too many drinks. The idea that each of the violators was punished in their own way was really fascinating, and I LOVE your explanations for each of them.

I like the connection that you develop with Tom being a sort of 'project' of Janeway's, almost like she's prepping him for command. I find that so interesting because they are both of Starfleet backgrounds in terms of family, and I get the sense that Janeway wants him to follow in her footsteps.

"And besides, I'm the Captain, and have vested in me the right and the power to give that kind of order and make it stick when one of my minions misbehaves." - You wrote Janeway saying the word 'minions'; you are one of my favourite people ever :D

'"So I figured that, maybe, if you were able to admit that you were wrong even just once in a blue moon, that we could actually have a discussion about all of this …" he gestures vaguely, but she knows what he means, "… and have it be real. And have it mean something."

He lifts his glass in her direction.

"To imperfection."

She'll drink to that.' - I just love this last section of part VI because of the raw honesty of it, brought about the inebriation. I think that it's incredibly clever of you to have this discussion take place over a drink, because otherwise I don't know if they would have the same honesty while sober.

I loved the last part, with a drunk Janeway and Paris deciding on a game of pool. The image of Janeway watching Tom with her chin in her hand was hilarious to think of, especially since she's had one (or three) too many!

It's good to see that they're back on speaking terms again, but also that there is enough uneven ground remaining for them to compete against one another, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

You've really written a marvel here, AF, and I hope that someday (with a little time and more experience) that I can write with the same precision and skill that you do.

Fantastic work, my friend.

CP7
mabb5 chapter 3 . 7/12/2012
Excellent character study. Not to mention insightful. And logical. Well done. As usual.
CityDurl chapter 3 . 7/12/2012
Some deep, well-thought out character insights, and a good tie-in to your post-Endgame universe. I forgot to mention how much I liked the subtle jealousy in the last chapter for B'Elanna. I think Janeway wouldn't be the only one to regret that Tom is off the market, whatever her intentions or actual interest. Some great visuals in this chapter, too: "He gets up with the deliberate dignity bestowed by just enough alcohol to have had a serious impact, but not so much that he wouldn't want to conceal its effects." and Janeway's reaction - priceless.
angelscatie chapter 3 . 7/12/2012
Great chapter. I like how you incorporated Tom's brig stay into this story with Janeway's explanation. Please update this and After the Ashes please.
CityDurl chapter 2 . 7/12/2012
I like that you work from Janeway's PoV in this. It allows the narrative voice to take some fanciful flights, like the Alice in Wonderland references. And part V has a well-crafted feeling of tension as the crew and the reader wait for more fighting, and release as the two reconcile. Check it out: homonym "She looses her thread..." should be loses. Unless you meant it literally!
beautyofsorrow chapter 3 . 7/12/2012
"Chakotay has already told me that he is wearing the uniform only for the duration of our journey; he wants to follow his heart into anthropology."

I am soo glad that I'm not the only one who sees the impossibility of Chakotay staying in Starfleet once they return. I mean really - after seven years of being steam-rolled every time he voices his opinion, how in the world can one expect him to have a positive view of Starfleet past the family he's found on Voyager? But that's just my Very Vehement Opinion... ;-)

"Kathryn shrugs, again. 'Possibly. Who knows. You ignored my direct order in front of the entire bridge, an entire planet, and I was angry. Does it really matter why?' "

Dax thinks so. Quite strongly, in fact. But she's also delighted that the Queen finally admitted to her identity.

"Obviously, not all is well yet between them; she also realizes she would have been a little disappointed if it had been quite that easy."

Silly me - I was beginning to wonder if you'd let Kathryn off the hook that easily. And of course you wouldn't! I can't tell you how grateful I am for this *real life* look at some of the most troubling episodes of Trek. You have it all here - the bitterness, the broken trust, the hard questions and expected lack of answers and even that darned "Captain's call" line. A wholly satisfying repair job, my friend. Well done.
CrlkSeasons chapter 3 . 7/12/2012
jrrm64 chapter 3 . 7/12/2012
Story is great so far. Captures the dynamic between the characters perfectly.
antra chapter 3 . 7/12/2012
"To Imperfection"
That's something I would drink to as well
BonesBird chapter 3 . 7/12/2012
This was lovely. I love the idea of Drunk Tom and Janeway.
Cerulean.Phoenix7 chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
Another great chapter, AF :)

First of all, when I read the first few lines of this I was very excited because you mentioned the dress from "Bride of Chaotica!" and I immediately thought of the "You're the Queen!" line ;) I found it both amusing and fitting the number of times that Janeway used the word ridiculous to describe the dress in that paragraph.

I'll also echo CrlkSeasons in regards to the name of that Admiral; I was definitely reminded of a certain director in our present time ;)

"Where do you find such a thing at this time, without telling Chakotay you know where he keeps his Antarean cider?" - I do love these little touches that you strategically place in here and there, and this one definitely made me smile.

The tension is still thick between Tom and Kathryn when she returns to Sandrine's, evident by Harry and B'Elanna's reactions and Kathryn's own worry over the topic of discussion. I found it really interesting how as their conversation progressed, Janeway's words seemed to parallel that of Arachnia's, and it made me wonder just what Janeway was trying to do in that respect; was she trying to win Tom back because she cannot stand this void, or does she have other motives? I really, really liked that.

A few lines that I simply must mention for their awesomeness:

"You looked great in that dress. I didn't know holograms could drool." - SO Tom to say that, and equally amusing. Also, it made me imagine that Chakotay would choke on his coffee if her ever heard that comment XD

"When was the last time you asked the replicator for something other than a uniform, Captain?" - That glass I mentioned Tom walking on in my last review? It seems like he's purposely dancing on it here, and I love the crunch that his words create in this as he shatters Janeway's bubble of seperation and distance.

"Or, as Tom himself might say, when he's in a mood to let on just how well-read he is:

The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things - of shoes, and ships, and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings.

Or Queens, as the case may be." - I'd heard that literary line before, but looked it up and read the whole piece, and found some really interesting parallels between it and not only Voyager's situation, but Janeway and Tom's. That was very, very clever of you. And I do love that you had Janeway thinking of Queens ;)

I think it's good that both of them ended up in laughter. To me that signifies the newfound even ground here, and that now they can begin to mend some things, because both of them desperately need to, and I think now, more so, that Janeway's dialogue really empahsizes how she misses Tom.

"There will be no fireworks tonight." - This really stuck out to me the first time I read it, because I wondered what it meant, but the more I think about it, the more I realise that perhaps these rough sees are starting to calm.

One comment though: I noticed that you mentioned the instrument panels as being 'expensive' and I was under the impression that the Federation didn't use currency, so why would Janeway think of them as expensive in that case? This is just a minor nitpick, but I was wondering.

Regardless, this is fantastic and I eagerly await the last installment.

CP7
testpast chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
Tom is getting way too perfect in your stories. So is B'Elanna. It does not help that I do not think B'Elanna has the depth as she has in your world...
beautyofsorrow chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
Sigh. I like the first chapter better.

But that's not to say that this isn't marvelous in its own right. The characters, the moods, the touches and silences and of course the leather jacket you've made me fall in love with. Yes, another *good* chapter.

I'm just not ready to let Janeway off the hook yet... ;-)
Runawaymetaphor chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
"He tugs on his leather jacket and gives a small smile. "Like this thing here. It's grown on me, and I think I'll keep it. Even if I won't run the Proton program again. Besides, B'Elanna likes it." "

Right. . . B'Elanna. . . We'll go with that, sister. ;-)
TheNaggingCube chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
A beginning. Let us see where it goes.
55 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »