Reviews for At the Bottom of a Glass
longnite chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
A very good work up on the possible inner dialogue for the respective characters. There is no doubt you caught the Janeway rationalizing in perfect focus. It reflected the difference in the mental scales she views her actions opposed to those that are subordinate to her in her command.

I also think you captured Tom well and this probably would have been his approach to mitigating the rift. They are on a small ship and its hard to operate in a continuous hateful environment. It's just hard not to see this character being more willing to stand his ground and take the hits if necessary. But the series did draw him as the rebellious protege of sorts to Janeway...I just wished he had been "more" outwardly rebellious in this case!
tmntninjaturtlesfan chapter 1 . 7/10/2012
I was the reviewed that talked about the reviewer being casual and so forth. I thought I eas logged in but guest I wasn't.
Twiki99 chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
Great Story. I too took exception to the episode and thought it was too harsh a sentence, but it was an all Tom episode and I loved that. I can see how he would react to his brig time as he is in this story.

I'm sorry though that someone would trash this story over a disagreement on characters. You and I have a different view of Tom Paris, and although I don't review as much as I should, I still love reading your stories on Tom. That's what makes the world go around...different opinions and views. So even though I like to write the more vulnerable Tom, I still will read your version of Tom and enjoy. Thanks for writing and keep up the great stories

Guest chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
I'm loving this story and it figures the crew would have bets going on how Tom and the Captain would get along now! As always, I think you've captured the characters wonderfully and showing how they can't just go back to the way their relationship was before but need to slowly rebuild a new one.
PatsyPat chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
Nice way of resolving the "conflict", but I can't help but feel sorry for Kathryn- being the Captain and making decisions ( some of which may turn out unpopular among some of her crew) others have to follow sets her apart, makes her isolated, estranged from the crew- and the picture of the crew laughing at her with Tom Paris..., and her having to grovel and ingratiate herself with her pilot... seems like emotional blackmail kinda... (even though her taking the high road was a good tactical move for a leader) somehow profoundly sad- but maybe my perspective is too Janeway-skewed, maybe it's because I like her character- yes she was not flawless, but who is ? Can't help but consider how deeply lonely her character was, and how much social and emotional support Paris enjoyed from B'Elanna and Harry; and how potentially damaging to her command persona this "confrontation" might have turned out. And yet the whole situation was actually, ironically, caused by the fact that she had some kind of "personal connection" to Tom in the first place. Can't help but see har as a tragic heroine who no matter what she does is doomed.
But enough of my ramblings- sorry for it- couldn't help myself hehehe ;-)

I like reading your take on Janeway-Paris because it shows me the other side of the spectrum and reassess my own take on the characters- it's almost like therapy but without having to make an appointment- I thank you for that, and hope you keep on writing about this duo.
With kind regards,
MeredithBrody chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
Awww I like this!
CrlkSeasons chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
Admiral Tarantino? Is his first name Quentin?

"He (Tom) is a child of her (Kathryn's) own world ..." I think that matters more than most realize. As you said, it enables him to see her as a multidimensional being, not just as the Captain. That allows the two of them to have a multidimensional relationship with all sorts of emotions in play. The richness of their relationship, and the richness of their shared world, comes through beautifully in the conversation that you have written for the characters in this chapter of your story.
antra chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
I loved that episode, the whole trashiness of it.
And yeah, both Paris and Janeway interacted a lot relaxter than somebody would expet given their history
I grinned at:
"You were the one who asked for it in a Size 4," he replies, his response no more welcome because she knows it is true. Men aren't supposed to know about these things, let alone point them out.
I'm not really female in that regard because I never understood that. Why saying a different size than the correct one. There are so many uncomfortable things, no need to add clothes and shoes to that.
angelscatie chapter 2 . 7/10/2012
Great chapter like usual. Keep up the good work. I really enjoy the universe that you have developed.
Cerulean.Phoenix7 chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Oh, how I love this. There were moments while I was reading this that I felt as if Tom were treading on broken glass, and at times I could hear the crunch of it beneath his feet when he treaded too harshly.

I love the dynamic between Janeway and Paris, because it's true and it's illuminated something to me. If Janeway is so harsh in her reprimanding of him and not others then what does that say about their relationship? There is some subtext there, and I love how you always manage to hint at it.

A few of my favourite lines:

"He would have done exactly the same thing, with bells on..." - somehow, that created one of the most amusing images ever in my mind :P

'"Arbitrary?" Tom had supplied helpfully, not keeping his voice down at all, and enjoying the opportunity to uncork a stream of adjectives he'd rehearsed a few times over the last couple of days. Okay, more than a few times.' - This I can completely see Tom doing, saving his rage for times when no one else can hear his own anger, and in turn wield it against him.

"Janeway lashed him with a grey-eyed glare that mere weeks ago would have turned him to ash, the volcanic version of the absolute zero one she'd given him when she'd ripped off that pip." - ooh that is icy, and such a great image of the aftermath of "Thirty Days."

'"Depends on how well you can swim, Captain. This isn't synthahol."

"I didn't think it was," she says, pulling up a chair.' - For some reason, I just love these two lines. Maybe it's the bitterness swimming between them or just how I can hear their voices so clearly in these lines (and every other one in this piece).

You make a fine point in this piece about how Janeway crossed the line on some occasions, this being one of them. Of course he had to be reprimanded in some way, but why should he be the only one thrown in the brig? I think that he has every right to be furious with Janeway, especially when people like Tuvok and Chakotay just get a slap on the wrist.

This is true and raw, and I love that about it. The more I read of your work the more I wonder how on Earth you are not a published author, because you really should be.

P.S. Thank you for the mention :)
Guest chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Either that one reviewer was a casual observer of voyager or didn't thoroughly watch every episode and think and ask himself how the characters would respond.

I am personally not surprised by Paris reaction. Why? Think about it. Chakotay stole a shuttle and ran off to settle a score with Seska. All he got was a slap on the wrist (though he did realize how deeply he disappointed her) Paris did pretty much the same thing and yet got thrown in the brig. Talk about hypocrisy. If you really look deep in the series, you will find alot of conflict and hypocrisy from Janeway.

Take a look at Severn of Nine. Perfect example of hypocrisy. I think she got off easy too many times. Yet, Paris did something similer and gets thrown in the brig.

I think Janeway did this because she was hurt by Paris actions. It was so sudden. Paris had become a great man and did a 180 and suddenly he does something that completely throws her off and I think she just reacted. I think there are few other reasons as well but let's continue with the story shall we? :-D

And if you want; I'll go have your meanie reviewer assimilated by the Borg. :-D (kidding) :)
Alpha Flyer chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Message to "Voyagertrekker": I am always happy to receive constructive criticism. Some of the friendships I have forged with other writers are built around the urge to make ourselves into better writers, I am also more than happy to engage in discussions with readers who disagree with something I present in my stories - even if they do voice their criticism, as you do, before the entire story is up and can speak for itself.

I am far happier, though, when readers who provide such criticism are willing to provide authors with the same courtesy and do not block use of their PM feature against those whose work they have chosen to attack. You reviewed my little piece twice - once anonymously, and then again with an account that you opened just today. I removed the anonymous review because it constituted verbatim duplication; otherwise I would have left it there in the spirit of open discourse, and because it provides such an interesting contrast to the others this first instalment of the piece received.

I respect differing opinions, in fact much of my professional life revolves around people's right to hold, live by and voice them. But filing a second, identical review after the anonymous one, with an account that has its PM feature first disabled altogether, then when it was added, had me blocked personally - well, that just smacks of someone who lacks the courage of their convictions. I therefore, with some hesitation, must view your review as mere graffiti, left anonymously on a public wall.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
I would so have loved the writing staff of the Voyager to have been bold enough to set up the scene you just did. Janeway's actions deserved to be exposed and have there meaning clarified, but I guess that would have also led to question so many other decisions that came before. I think you captured Tom quite well for the immediate time period portrayed. He would have no doubt been as cynical and distant to the Captain...and your take rang so true!

The later seasons portrayed Janeway as more of an "Ahab" type figure in my view and she lost a great deal of creditability on certain subjects. Her lop sided justice was at an extreme arc at the point 30 days was contrived and I think you also capture how arrogant her point of view is at that point. I would have loved getting B'Elanna's two cents in here as well...but I loved that last parting shot you set Tom up with! Very well played that! ;)
PatsyPat chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Great piece. It is interesting to see how the characters struggle with being themselves and doing their job. I mean it is very hard to delineate the line between the professional and the personal- the Captain did what she had to do, that is discipline an unruly Lieutenant, but where does that leave Kathryn and Tom?
"Tom Paris grudge-o-meter" hhehe love it!
Anyway, I actually like Janeway's character ( not only due to my affection for Kate Mulgrew) for the most part- even if the writers DID make her somewhat bipolar..
A Saurian brandy - can mammals actually drink it? hehe
Runawaymetaphor chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
"The words rattle around in his skull, practically looped, and he realizes she's been waiting for his answer long enough that he's being rude. Now a very angry Tom may be snide, calculating, and vindictive. But he doesn't like being rude, his mother made sure of that."

I love every edge and angle of this emotional mosaic, no less so because of the little tidbit above.

In a perfect world, everyone- including your last reviewer- would have manners lessons. But such a utopia even Roddenberry didn't envision.

55 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »