Reviews for At the Bottom of a Glass
Voyagertreks chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Well, in this fic Tom Paris is rather a bitter bunny, not like the usually sunny, if sometimes emotionally fragile, young man who appreciated the opportunity that Capt. Janeway gave him at the end of Caretaker and throughout Voyager's journey: to use the (admittedly useful) skills he had been trained for. Well, if someone wants to write otherwise so be it, but it isn't that terribly entertaining, or canonically realistic, in this story.

And by the way, yes it was of course Janeway's call to put Tom in the brig after what happened in Thirty Days. She was the appointed commander per Starfleet Command, and Voyager wasn't shown as a democracy. And this captain wasn't perfect, but the weight of the command of the ship was on her shoulders, and she had to do as she saw fit, within regulations. Tom willfully disobeyed her direct orders; he's maybe lucky she didn't confine him longer, and eventually she even gave him his extra pip back.

In the TV series Tom ended up being a fine officer, and someone who could legitimately woo and marry B'Elanna Torres (also a bit of a misfit at the beginning of the episodes but who too ended up living up to Janeway's trust in her), and then became a proud father in Endgame. He might have still had something of a devil-may-care attitude but he wasn't the borderline rude and surly fellow in this story (thank goodness), who would have had such spiteful thoughts about his captain.
TheNaggingCube chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
like nails on a chalk board... wow that was intense and perfect.

please keep it coming.

Did B'Elanna show up to collect Tom or did she know? Did someone alert her?
mabb5 chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Very interesting point of view. I haven't run across it before. Definitely well written and in character. As I say whenever I run across an effort by a writer who actually is a writer, please write more.
antra chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
The aftermath of Monea.
I think we all know that Janeway was totally unfair with that. Not only was Tom not the only crewmember to break the prime directive (the Doctor, Tuvok...), Janeway herself broke it too.
I think the real reason she was so disproportionate angry with him was that, like Seven, Janeway considers Tom as her project. She had higher expectations of him. And since he came on Voyager he was always the dutifull officer firmly on her side.
In that context, him breaking the prime directive made her so angry...
Perhaps she even realized she overreacted after she sentenced him, we will never know.
In my head canon she knew she overreacted, partly because I like the character of Janeway and want to believe it, partly because she is an intelligent woman and should see how hypocrisy that number was
Marie chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
I like the exploration this chapter revolves around. Hope there's more to come.

But Tom's behaving like a rebuked child, so it kind of undermines the premise that the whole incident made him somehow more mature. I guess the worst part here is the hermetic and claustrophobic environment- one lonely ship- he cannot transfer, Janeway could not refer his punishment to Starfleet Command ( and I don't think they would be more lenient ;-) ). But I've always had mixed feelings about Tom's punishment. It seemed perfectly fitting in and of itself, but not in relation to how Janeway handled Seven's, the Doctor's and especially Chakotay's infractions and insubordination, and I thought that maybe she was harsher to Tom because his defiance was so ostentatious and so in her face in front of the crew- I guess she felt like she had to react to it for Tom's sake because she believed he could do better than resorting to maverick tactics and wanted to rein in his rebellious spell. She also made an example of him for the sake of crew morale, so that every and any crew member wouldn't think that the moment they think something needs to get done they will act on their own disregarding the chain of command.

And as much as I, being of libertarian persuasion, resent the fact that one person gets to make all the calls, I can nevertheless understand Janeway's position as the Captain ( with all the responsibilities AND priviliges of the rank) within the militaristic, highly hierarchical organisation and can't help but see Tom's and apparently the crew's resentment as somewhat misplaced, but so very human...- maybe if they don't like Janeway rules, they should start holding annual elections for the Captain position- that way they could have some comparison, and janeway could finally get some action in the bedroom department ( wink, wink)- the could establish Voyager Republic ;-) My vote would go for Tal Celes- she definitely should get her chance at captaining the ship! LOL
Guest chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
"But he knows who he is now, and so he had let it bounce right off, with a reciprocal hard stare."

Thank you, Tom, for not backing down. She really needs... well. Yeah. I'll save that for a PM. ;-) Rest assured, Dax is, well, smirking.
CrlkSeasons chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
The reason this ground has been trodden so many times is that there is so much to react to and to digest in Thirty Days, and in the subsequent episodes. I don't think any single fan story can encompass all the possibilities. It's always fun to examine these events from a new perspective.

What makes this story extra special is that you've captured how this was a turning point for Tom. "But he knows who he is now." For me, no matter how a writer chooses to interpret these events, that self knowledge and new inner confidence about who he is, are what is of central importance in Thirty Days.

Bunnies and brandy - that is one powerful combination!
angelscatie chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Great one shot. I'm glad that Tom got to call the Captain on her punishment of him. Keep up the good work and more After the Ashes please.
CityDurl chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
A heck of a lot of fun is right! Yowza! The conflict practically crackled on the page. Janeway's arbitrary interpretation of the prime directive bugs me, too. Paris is along for the bumpy ride in season 1, but I can see him taking umbrage with her right to ignore it or uphold it at seeming whim by this time.
MeredithBrody chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Ahhhhh this is very true to canon. I think it's fantastic. I like it. Well done.
55 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4