Reviews for Wait, What?
Efloresco chapter 16 . 9/19
This scene with ginny actually worked tremendously well for me. It speaks of a depth to the characters that's hardly ever explored but always there, somewhere in the conveluted mess that is Harry Potter. I'd just like to give my appreciation for that.
ShinichiKudoOwnsMySoul chapter 5 . 9/17
Very good and thought-provoking story. You raise a lot of excellent points, even things that I've missed. Rowling is terrible when it comes to her morality. She just does not do a good job beyond painting good and bad.
LtsHrIt4ThBoyz chapter 2 . 8/22
I followed your suggestion, many, many months ago, now and its become one of my favorite stories!
My basic problems, with canon-HP starts and ends with Rowling: As the so-called 'writer' of this series, SHE is ultimately responsible for the 'society' she 'created' and the ideology her characters espouse...THIS wizarding society did not leap, fully formed, from the ether; this lady (or her publisher) had/has a vested interest in presenting certain events in an extremely cavalier and often 'throw away' manner; almost as though she/they hope the readers don't notice the very FACT that what's going on in the pages of this 'fictional world' are either extremely IMMORAL and UNETHICAL and/or highly ILLEGAL, in the REAL WORLD!
These books are purportedly 'Children's' and 'Young Adult' literature and sadly, the old adage holds true: 'If you get a child young enough, to expound your viewpoint to (as a 'magical' fiction) and muddle their thinking enough, you've got them for life.' Now why would someone want to present a basically totalitarian lifestyle to children as 'the way things are'...?
Think about it.
MelJ
Scififan33 chapter 6 . 8/21
you make very good points. The books didn't come out till I was a teenager and even then I thought they were a bit dark in parts for little kids and totally weird in others with their reactions to things like stunning enemies in war
SMantis chapter 7 . 8/13
After re-reading this, I think I'll have to revise what I wrote in an earlier review about this being a great series. Here you're quoting the actual text and yet still pulling out a conclusion that is completely contrary to it. From the moment Snape entered the room the only new thing he would have learned is that the James, Sirus and Peter were illegal Animagi and the Lupin had failed to tell anyone about this. His reaction at the end after hearing this is not surprising at all. Not that of course he would have believed Sirius' claim that Pettygrew was still alive - even Harry didn't believe him until he had been returned to his human form.

As for Snape forgetting the potion, Lupin in a Werewolf form might provide an excuse to be killed but it also greatly increases the danger of Snape since he rushed inside the shack without any reinforcement. Seems more like an oversight by a Snape obsessed with catching Sirius and Lupin helping him (he also forgot to take the map).

And what is it with these petty digs at Ron? What has this to with "taking a step back and asking "Wait, what?""? Here you have him taking over the annoying habit of Hermione of caring too much about the rules and not even helping the attack against Snape. What's the point of this?
SMantis chapter 15 . 8/11
This could have been a great series if it wasn't for the ridiculous bashing, which had nothing to do with logic. Like here, for example. I agree that Rowling handled the Taboo badly, but why would Ron not tell them about the Taboo if he knew about it? He wouldn't need to mention that he accidentally fixed it, it's very plausible that he could have found out about it somewhere in the Ministry. If Ron knew how dangerous saying the name was, I simply don't see him endangering his friends (and himself, of course) by hiding it (he could hardly expect to stop them saying the name 24/7). It's not really in his character. And the bit about him fixing the office despite knowing about the Taboo - which is simply a guess coming true due to authorial fiat - this is nothing more than than malicious pettiness. A Ron that stupid would not have survived his first year.

The part about the Taboo being in force during the First War makes absolutely no sense either. Apart from not being ever mentioned, I can't imagine McGonaggal behaving like the way she did on the first night after eleven years of terror by Voldemort if it had actually been dangerous to say the name. Also there is the contradiction of the taboo being in force during the First War while it requires control of the Ministry which Voldemort didn't have at the time.
Whyhow chapter 6 . 7/29
My assumption about memory charms and Hermione is that it's not necessarily much more difficult to erase a large amount of memory than a small amount, and it might even be easier to just get rid of almost everything than to specifically select for a few memories. It's also possible that personality remains regardless of how much memory does (which would make erasing someone's memory slightly better than killing them). It would also make the mechanics of what Hermione did much easier if the mind naturally filled in the blanks after something was erased. Now I don't know if any of this is true, but it's at least not obviously inconsistent.
batrax chapter 7 . 6/3
About chapter 7: Safer With The Convict. You say that Snape is basically a murderer, but I've read in another fanfiction a point that makes a lot of sense. From his perspective, Black should have been sent to Azkaban for his attempted murder/lycantropy infection when they were kids, so even if Black is innocent of the particular crime he was convicted for, he should still pay a price. Then of course there's the mutual hatred they have for one another, which amplifies their emotions and make Snape behave like a lunatic. It's even possible that he was mentioning the kiss and whatnot just to scare Black and Lupin, and would actually have done the "right" thing once the time to choose had come. I'm not saying it would have happened, I'm only saying it's a possibility.
Katzztar chapter 4 . 5/23
Another point against Hermione and the memory charms... after she admitted to what she did to her parents, then a few chapters later when the trio have a tussle with DEs in a café, the issue of memory charms comes up again. One of the boys mentions needing to use them, Hermione doesn't want to obliviate them because 'she don't know how and may mess up their minds' ... yet she did worse to her own parents. At the café it would have been just a few minutes, but with her parents she took years of memoires (of her) and their very names (so that had to go back even further).
Revliledpembroke chapter 16 . 5/2
I like this one. I just like to point out that Ginny is underage. So if they expect to me casting spells, it might be difficult. Depending on how the Trace works, of course. That's something that's not really understood. I think she mentioned it somewhere, but I don't think it was in the novels.
Revliledpembroke chapter 15 . 5/2
Or, as Voldemort gained more and more power, Ron reverted more and more to old habits. He never really did stop calling them on using Voldeshorts's name. It doesn't seem out of character. And really, your explanation is that Ron accidentally turned on the Taboo after an Order Member (presumably, maybe it just was some regular peon) found a way to turn it off with...rain? Really? That sounds like a fairly complex ritual/spell needed to do something like put a taboo on the name. And if you're using it to track down people trying to lead a resistance against you, you'd probably want to sure it's always working, at all times. Why would you let it be traced to the Ministry, to a specific office, where the potential for who knows what kind of insane magical combination could create some sort of freak weather storm? That's a terrible idea!

Why wouldn't have Voldemort's supporters used the same tactic so their wasn't the Taboo on the Dark Mark?

What if someone spilled a glass of water? What if there was a fight, someone was hit, and the raining blood knocked out the Taboo?

No, Occam's Razor. The Taboo wasn't originally a thing, and the wizarding world is just a bunch of pansy asses. Or the Taboo was a thing, but almost no one ever spoke of the war, ever. The Taboo happens (or comes around again), and with the rising death toll, Ron either half remembers a tale of the war overheard once about "being unable to say the name without bringing death" (possibly mentioning the Prewett Twins) or begins to feel uneasy with the others saying the name with all the death that man is causing, but he doesn't know why he feels uneasy, so he makes up that lame excuse.

Now, why they didn't immediately start calling their opponents Voldey Volde and the Hungry Bunch, I don't know.
Revliledpembroke chapter 14 . 5/2
He was driven to madness because she was there, but he could not touch her. She was alive, but not. That's not the same thing as a one time use of it like Harry did.

We also don't know that Dumbledore had ever used the Stone himself. That's why people thought merely holding it would be enough and why it should be given to Voldeshorts.
Revliledpembroke chapter 13 . 5/2
First off, we know that the wizarding world is old fashioned and parents ordering their kids to cut their own switch only went out of fashion recently enough in OUR world that Bill Engvall was able to do a comedy bit about it (and he's actually close to Lily and James in age than Arthur and Molly, who are a decade older than Harry's parents). Second off, Ron could be exaggerating when he says "walloped." Third, she probably hit her son with the broom's the bristles, which, while likely uncomfortable, is hardly the same, as, say, caning him (which could very well have been what Mrs. Weasley's parents did to her or her brothers when she misbehaved. She was born around 1950).

Also, because I was curious now that this was brought up, I actually smacked myself across the leg (calf) with a modern broom, which tend to have far fewer bristles. My leg stung for like, 45 seconds, and that was after hitting myself with the plastic bit that holds all the bristles. Granted, I am a male in my 20s, but you're severely overemphasizing what happened.

With a broom that's mostly bristles, and hitting anywhere but the face, it would probably hurt less than a literal slap on the wrist. Also note that this is described something that happened once, after that twin played an immensely cruel joke on his younger brother, one he should have been protecting, and also remember that Molly Weasley has a crippling fear of losing those close to her and likely has traumatic flashbacks to seeing brothers with holes in their bodies.

To be honest, it's a wonder she didn't cane him.

Also, "Corporal punishment was outlawed in state-run schools, and also in private schools where at least part of the funding came from government by the British Parliament in other private schools, it was banned in 1998 (England and Wales), 2000 (Scotland) and 2003 (Northern Ireland)." It's certainly not out of character for the region to have some amounts of corporal punishment, some of which included things like caning, slippering, a strap, a belt, a rod, etc.

Mrs. Weasley "walloping" her son with a broom (likely the same type as those that fly, the long handle and the profusion of bristles) once is not child abuse. That's just you seeking to find something wrong about her.
Revliledpembroke chapter 12 . 5/2
Ehh, it sounds more like they flooed the Americans and just asked them to do it (as JK has finally explored the magical US). Or Kingsley, the Prime Minister's Secretary, knew about it in advance and had already made the request through the official channels of his own magical government for the American government to have a chat with the American President.
Revliledpembroke chapter 11 . 5/2
No, the Diary is what launched his suspicion of Horcruxes in the first place. Remember, it is supposed to be either obscure or specifically stamped out knowledge. Slughorn likely knew what they were through either his connections (potentially some researcher who wrote a paper on ancient Dark Lords that used them or something) and put Tom onto the same source.

Notice the "sharing a bit of his powers" doesn't immediately mean that Dumbledore knows that there is a Horcrux in Harry. Since know one knows just what happened to Voldemort's body before he turned into a wraith, maybe some part of his magic could have attached itself to the boy in some way, and this was Dumbledore's running theory until he got more conclusive proof of Horcruxes.

Of course, it could be possible that, seeing the Diary was a Horcrux and Harry destroyed it, and the Death Eaters (Snape) didn't immediately note any differences with their Dark Marks, Dumbledore was able to reason that there were more, and that, potentially Harry was one of them.

You can't honestly believe the Old Man, during the height of the war before the prophecy, would have condoned leaving the soul bits of Voldemort around. Especially since he only has the idea confirmed when Harry gets the memory off of Slughorn.

And even if he did know, what was he going to do? How many people could he trust with the information that "Oh, by the way, there's totally a way to become functionally immortal, and all you have to do is kill a person"? Maybe he's been searching all this time to just find the damn things.
1,230 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »