Reviews for Devolution
fictionalmike chapter 46 . 5/11/2018
A lovely, well-constructed adventure for the Harm-Mac pairing and eventual realisation of what the Dynamic Duo mean to each other.
Guest chapter 46 . 1/21/2016
Great story and very well written.
Anonny chapter 28 . 1/17/2015
The "Acme Assassination Gang" - loved that one being explained to the Admiral - "Well, they kept missing." I can just see and hear the Admiral during that exchange; brilliant bit of writing! :-) :-) :-)
Guest chapter 46 . 1/23/2011
T
alix33 chapter 46 . 1/18/2011
"Harm took over from the corporal and leaned down by her ear, "As you wish." He began rolling her back to the hospital. Mac's grin grew wider, 'The Princess Bride' was a movie they had both enjoyed. She leaned her head back so she could look up at him, "Does this mean you're going to start calling me Buttercup?" Harm smiled, "As you wish." Then he chuckled and added, "Only when there are other jarheads around." Mac arched an eyebrow, "You do and not even Miracle Max will be able to save you." Harm affected a hurt expression, "This is the thanks I get for rescuing you from the R.O.U.S.'s?" The laugh that burst out of Mac quickly turned into a cough as her throat protested. Unable to stop, she leaned forward, her eyes tearing. Harm stopped the wheelchair and came around to kneel beside her. "Oh hell, Mac, I'm sorry," he said contritely, alternately rubbing and patting her back. She shook her head and eventually got herself back under control. Wiping her eyes, she smiled at him, "It's okay, Harm. It was just such a perfect description. If anyone could be Rodents Of Unusual Size, it would be the Jarvises." Her voice came out in a rasping whisper. Harm looked at her in concern and wagged a finger, "No more laughing." Mac batted at his hand, "Stop making me laugh." He held up three fingers, "Solemn as a judge, from here on out." "Which judge?" Mac tried to maintain a bland expression although her eyes were sparkling with suppressed laughter. Harm gave her an exasperated look, it had taken her - what? Seven seconds to ignore his suggestion? Then he grinned - god, he'd missed this! He was suddenly hit with the overwhelming urge to hold her. Despite the success of his ploy, he was fully aware of how quickly it could have gone downhill. Still, this was hardly the place. Harm stood up and folded his arms, "Sebring." Mac gazed up at him, "Solemn is not the word I've used to describe him." "Colonel, Commander?" The Admiral's voice made them both jump a trifle guiltily. He stopped alongside and raised an eyebrow, "If you've lost your way, it's that big building over there." He gestured towards the hospital twenty-five feet away.' - AW! at how cute Harm and Mac were there.

"Chegwidden waved him back down and smiled at Ellie before folding his arms and looking sternly at Mac. "So Colonel, are you finished disrupting this base?" Mac eyed him for a moment before shrugging one shoulder. "Almost, sir," she whispered with a slight grimace. AJ raised both eyebrows, "Almost?" "Lunch is about to be served, sir," Harm offered with a grin." - Hehehe.

"He looked over at Harm and Mac, "Try not to miss the plane, please." Harm grinned at his CO, "No chance of that, sir." He gestured towards Perez, "I think the Captain is here so he provide Commander Mathes with an eyewitness account of our departure." The Admiral snorted with amusement while Mac lightly slapped Harm's forearm. She looked at Ellie and Perez, "You'll have to excuse him, he gets giddy whenever there's aviation fuel around." Her voice, although better than the day before, was still husky. AJ shook his head, turned and walked to the gate while Harm tried to look indignant." - Hehehe.

"Tyler looked at the ground and blushed. Mac looked at the young ensign for a moment and said, "You were wrong, you know." Tyler's head came up in surprise. Mac regarded him with a hint of devilment, "You are 'enthusiastic' enough to be a Marine." Tyler smiled and ran a hand through his hair, "There were times when I'd have to agree, ma'am, but I understand there's a cure." - Hehehe.

"Speak for yourself, Commander," said a deep voice from the doorway. Harm turned to see Sturgis standing there. The former submariner smiled and raised his coffee mug towards Mac, "It's good to have you home, Colonel." Harm eyed the coffee cup and said in a stage whisper, "You might want to lose the mug. One of us isn't allowed to drink coffee yet and she's been pretty cranky about it. I couldn't guarantee your safety." "Shut up Rabb," Mac rolled her eyes and smiled at Sturgis," - Hehehe.
alix33 chapter 43 . 1/18/2011
"Mac looked like a kid working up the nerve to eat brussel sprouts. She glanced over and saw the amusement on his face. In a slightly indignant tone, she said, "It's not that funny, sir." AJ chuckled as he sat down in the chair, "Of course it is, it's not MY breakfast. Go ahead and eat, Colonel, you need to keep up your strength." "I don't think this is going to do it," Mac muttered, looking at a spoonful of lumpy oatmeal. She doggedly worked her way through the uninspiring breakfast and finished with a sigh. "Forty-one meals to go." Chegwidden arched an eyebrow, pulled out a small pocketknife and said blandly, "Want to put an X on the wall?" "I'd rather put one on the doctor who came up with this idea," Mac grumbled. "This puts a whole new spin on 'cruel and unusual'." - Hehehe, poor Mac!
alix33 chapter 42 . 1/18/2011
"She looked back at the doctor, "The fact remains that I struck a fellow officer." "An officer who chose not to review your case file thoroughly and chose to ignore warnings not to startle you. Did you make a conscious effort to flatten that particular officer or did you react to an unidentified threat?" Ellie crossed her arms and waited. Mac sighed and ran her hand through her hair, "I just reacted." Ellie grinned and dropped into the chair, "I'd have made a conscious effort. Lt. Michaels is a royal pain." She paused for a moment, "Who knows? I still might whack her one." - I want to read it when Ellie does, please.

"All professional opinions are required to use incomprehensible words of five syllables or more and be delivered with the appropriate solemnity." At a raised eyebrow from Mac, she held up both hands and grinned, "Honest, it's in the teeny-weeny print under the fine print on my license." "Appropriate solemnity?" Mac said, amusement beginning to show. She could well believe the incomprehensible part. Ellie assumed a serious demeanor although her eyes were dancing, "I have a Greek chorus ready to scramble at a moment's notice. They lend a certain panache to my prognoses." Mac shook her head and chuckled." - Hehehe.

"Ellie rested her chin, "It was partly personal, partly professional. Of course, if I'd known Lt. Michaels was going to be in here, I would have gotten here sooner." She smiled sweetly, "I might have flattened her for you." - Hehehe.
alix33 chapter 41 . 1/18/2011
"The two men turned when the door opened, revealing a nurse carrying a breakfast tray. "She's still asleep," Harm protested quietly. "And she can go right back to sleep after her breakfast," the nurse answered. She placed the tray on the nightstand and started towards Mac to wake her up. "Wait," Harm hurried over, putting out a hand. The nurse looked at him in exasperation. "Look, Lieutenant... ," he peered at her nametag, "... Michaels, the Colonel's been having nightmares and she doesn't know you. You wake her up suddenly and she's liable to react... ummm... strongly." The Lieutenant crossed her arms and arched an eyebrow, "Commander, I don't tell you how to prosecute cases, please don't tell me how to do my job." She glanced over at Mac and said confidently, "I can handle it. Please move out of the way." Harm shrugged and went to stand next to Walters. They turned when the door opened again and popped to attention as the Admiral entered the room. A moment later, there was the sound of flesh hitting flesh, followed by a crash. Harm winced and closed his eyes while AJ let out a startled bellow, "Colonel MacKenzie! Stand Down!" Harm turned to see a somewhat disoriented Mac sitting up and staring at AJ in bewilderment. Gunny Walters was already at the side of Lt. Michaels who was sitting on the floor amid the remains of Mac's breakfast. She had one hand to the side of her face, her expression somewhere between shock and outrage." - Let that be a lesson to you, you wise-ass nurse!

"Finally, she looked over at Lt. Michaels who had climbed to her feet with the Gunny's help. "My goodness Alice, didn't anyone tell you not to startle someone just back from combat?" From the look on her face, Harm suspected Ellie had a good idea of what Lt. Michaels' attitude had been. The Lieutenant looked indignant and Harm decided there was little love lost between the two women. "Women aren't allowed in combat!" Michaels huffed, "How was I to know she was violent? She should be in restraints!" Ellie's voice turned icy, "That 'she' is a Lt. Colonel in the Marine Corps, so I suggest you address her accordingly. Whether or not someone is 'allowed' scarcely matters if they find themselves in a combat situation as the Colonel did. Had you read the case a little more thoroughly, you'd have known that." - YOU GO, Ellie!
alix33 chapter 40 . 1/18/2011
"It's your fault I keep getting gray hairs." "Excuse me? I think the guy you want to blame is Father Time," Mac arched an eyebrow at him. Trust Harm to take the right approach to keep her from being overwhelmed by her memories. Now if he could just keep the nightmares at bay... "Ooo, that hurts, Marine," Harm clapped a hand dramatically to his chest while giving her a wounded look. "Sure that's not rheumatism?" Mac asked innocently, trying not to laugh at his silliness. "Keep it up," he growled with a glint in his eye and just a hint of a smile, "and I'll show you old." "I might just take you up on that," Mac grinned, "I like mature men." "Do tell?" Harm said with a wicked gleam. He leaned in closer. "Actually, I don't tell... " she said softly, watching as he steadily closed the distance between them. He kissed her gently and then pulled back with a smile. Mac looked at him quizzically. "Harm?" He tilted his head to one side and his eyes took on a mischevious look, "Think of it as a security deposit. With the wondrous knowledge of my advanced age, I'm aware of how impulsive you young people can be." He waved his hand at the room, "And in my infinite wisdom, it has occurred to me that A.) this is not the most opportune place and B.) you are not in the optimum shape for prolonged face-sucking." Harm settled back looking pleased with himself. He watched smugly as Mac stared at him, mouthing the words 'face-sucking'. She leaned back into the pillows with a groan, one hand covering her face. After a moment, the fingers spread and one eye peered out, "What if I said I'm a Marine, I can take it?" He shook his head and the hand closed again. She dropped it with a sigh and looked at him, "A security deposit?" Harm smiled and then said more seriously, "Well, probably more of a token of good faith. I think once we're back in D.C., it's time we had that talk. Preferably, death-threat and injury free." Mac's reply was cut off when there was a knock at the door. It opened to reveal a somewhat nervous-looking, young doctor. Harm stifled a groan, the room was about to be occupied by a very pissed-off Marine Colonel." - Yay! for the upcoming talk, but Mac needs to give this doc a couple of lessons in timing.
alix33 chapter 39 . 1/18/2011
"AJ looked at Bell and then tossed him a pistol. He rose to a crouch and swept his gaze across all three again, "Nobody dies. That's an order." - AW!

"Harm looked back at Mac. Her eyes were again closed. She was drifting in and out every few minutes and still hadn't managed to speak. However, he had the distinct impression she wanted a few words with him. Actually, if Mac had heard half of what he'd said, what she probably wanted was to box his ears. He didn't care. If it meant she had fully recovered, she could take her best shot." - AW!
alix33 chapter 38 . 1/18/2011
"Harm took a cautious breath, "We need to get going." Singer stared at him, "Are you kidding... sir?" She gestured at his midsection, "That lunatic tried to fillet you. We need to stop the bleeding or when we find the Colonel, she'll kill ME." - Yay! for Lt. Singer finalyl having realised that about Mac.
alix33 chapter 29 . 1/18/2011
"Perez smiled as he handed back the phone, "Ellie is on her way there right now. Ramos should be calling us soon." "You don't look too singed, is Ellie okay?" Mac asked with a grin. Perez grinned back and then ducked his head, "She decided to save it until she can get her hands on me. It should be ... interesting." They exchanged guilty glances when the Admiral cleared his throat. AJ gave them a dry look" - Hehehe.

"Ensign?" "Yes sir, we can go whenever you're ready." Tyler looked a little worried at the prospect of sneaking through the underbrush with a two-star in tow. What if something happened? The man was old! "Ummm, sir? Maybe Capt. Perez or Gunny Walters could come along too, just in case." AJ narrowed his gaze, "In case of what, Ensign?" He had a pretty good idea what was bothering the young man and judging from the looks on everyone else's faces, so did they. Tyler floundered about for a moment, how do you tell an Admiral he's a little old to be traipsing through the woods? He looked helplessly at the Colonel who regarded him with thinly veiled amusement. Finally, she relented and said, "Excuse me sir, but I think Ensign Tyler is apprehensive about having someone of your... rank anywhere near any potential trouble." AJ glared at Mac. She'd gotten through that statement with a perfectly straight face, although he could see the laughter in her eyes. Gunny and Perez were studiously avoiding looking at him at all. He transferred his glare to Tyler, who looked ready to wilt. "Thank you for your concern, Ensign. You'll be relieved to know that despite my... rank... I'm more than capable of running a reconnaisance. But, another pair of eyes won't hurt. Captain Perez can come along too... providing that's agreeable to you, Mr. Tyler." Tyler nodded vigorously, glad to be off the hook." - Hehehe.

"Mac and Walters watched them leave and then looked at each other. "Sorry you got stuck on the babysitting detail, Gunny." Mac said apologetically. Gunny waved a hand and smiled, "It's okay, Colonel. God wouldn't have invented Gunnery Sergeants if officers didn't need looking after." Mac raised an eyebrow, "Even the ones that are a pain in the ass?" Walters had the grace to blush, "We never did discuss that, did we ma'am?" "No, but don't worry about it, Gunny. I'm learning not to look a gift rescue in the mouth," Mac said dryly." - Hehehe.
alix33 chapter 23 . 1/18/2011
"Tyler should be checking in soon and Chegwidden was curiously loathe to let Crowley know about it." - "curiously loath".
alix33 chapter 20 . 1/18/2011
"Mac spoke first, "Are you all right, Captain?" "Just thinking about Ellie, ma'am." "Worried about her?" Harm asked, he liked the petite Dr. Perez. Perez grinned half-heartedly, "More worried about the base, sir. When my wife gets mad, she can make a tornado look like a spring breeze." "Feisty, huh?" Harm said blandly, with a sideways glance at Mac. "Opinionated," Mac rejoined, smiling sweetly. "Irish," Perez said, smiling broadly now. When Mac asked how they had met, he launched into a tale of their courtship. He was a good storyteller and time passed quickly as he described the storming of the Army bastion (Ellen's father and three older brothers - all regular Army) to claim his bride. And told, with self-deprecating good humor, of his efforts at a romantic evening so he could surprise her with a marriage proposal. Before he'd been able to launch into his speech, she had turned to him and said, 'This is fun. Let's get married.' By the time he finished the story, it was his turn to watch again." - Hehehe.

The conversation between admiral Chegwidden and ensign Tyler was very funny.
alix33 chapter 19 . 1/18/2011
"Harm took a couple of swallows and handed his back. When he felt Mac do the same, he said, "Hey." "What?" "Drink more, you're the one who's been leaking." "You sweet-talker. Mr. Perez will think I'm incontinent." Mac affected a southern accent. Perez laughed silently and quietly attempted his own southern drawl, "Why Miz MacKenzie, only a Yankee cad would suspect you of leaking anything other than the very finest blood." "If you two are through, " Harm commented dryly. 'Only Marines... ' - Hehehe.