Reviews for The Precipice of Change
bsods chapter 11 . 4/17
So, this is not technically a review, but I did just read the authors note on your profile. I'm sorry to hear you've been going through such a rough time for the last long while. As an author, you repeatedly put yourself out there and put energy into the stories you write. And I think a lot of us really appreciate the work you do. I just wanted you to know that you still have people who are on this crazy train until the end of the line, whether or not this story ends in one chapter or a hundred. Anyway, here's to hoping your good health continues.
MissKima chapter 12 . 4/12
Hi Wyl,

I have just re-read the entire story after not having caught up with it since chapter 9 of act 2. I do really love this story, I like the realness of the way you write your characters, I like the way they grow and change. I like the way the story makes me grow invested and I have felt myself laugh out loud, shake my head and ever tear up at a few points. All at the characters I already loved but that you have given a new light to.

I thoroughly enjoy your writing style and I hope you are well and haven't given up. You are very -I want to say talented, but I know you would have acquired this skill for word-smithing through countless hours of practicing, editing and re-writing - so let me say I appreciate all the time you have spent to write these chapters. I hope I can read more of your work.

So Thank you!

-Miss K
Eva Galana chapter 12 . 3/23
Glad you hadn't abandoned the story, Wyl. I like this chapter. I think that it's my favorite (okay, notwithstanding it's the last chapter so far...). I like having our friends interacting as friends, at a party, smiling, enjoying themselves. Even Merrill and Fenris got in on the joke, and that was cool, too. It was rather nice to see that racial politics didn't really fall into how they handled their 'roles' at the party, and seeing Merrill having so much fun? That was pretty cool, too.

Best part of the party for me, though, was Miz and Varric's interactions. It's rare to see Miz let her guard down on any level, and she was relaxed and, dare I say it?, happy. I love watching Leandra and Miz become closer; and of course, I love the fact that Varric and Miz are being so painfully obvious to everyone (eventually). Leandra may not be happy about the fact it's Varric, but I can so see her coming 'round to just being happy for Miz, despite it being Varric (although, I can hope for a future where Leandra sees our cuddly, well-endowed with chest hair dwarf as an asset, considering how own choice of mate...). The flashback was skillfully done, pulling into it Miz's usual 'ignore it and it will go away...eventually' mindset. That Varric is there, for her, and is in it for the long haul is also so obvious...Have I told you how much I love Varric? He was one of the saving graces of DA:I, too. *cheeky grin*
RPGgirl514 chapter 12 . 7/4/2015
I've been absent from fanfiction for a few months due to real life getting crazy (new job, new apt, looking into returning to school) but I just came back and was pleased to see you had updated. I'm glad Varric and Misery are finally taking a stab at something more than friendship, even with all the baggage. It warms my heart. Nice job with this chapter.
mille libri chapter 12 . 5/28/2015
Glad to see this updated again - nothing more frustrating than an abandoned story that one really wants to see the end of, so I'm happy you went with this option! And a great update at that - I really like seeing not only Misery so relaxed and comfortable with her companions, but also Donnic's expanded role and Leandra beginning to appreciate her daughter for who she really is rather than who Leandra wanted her to be.
Jadzaea chapter 12 . 5/28/2015
Eeeeeee! I'm so excited for this update! I was hoping you'd continue it. :)

Love the introduction of Quentin. In-game, you never see or hear anything of him until the quest at the end of Act 2, and I feel like there should have been more of a lead-in. Nice touch!

Aveline and Connic . . . yay! I love the elaboration on their relationship. Seeing them at the party was adorable.

And I think it goes without saying, yay for Misery and Varric! I love those two, seriously. And if you're not planning an Act 3, then totally end it with her dueling and Arishok, marrying Varric, and Meredith mysteriously dies, leaving them to start their winery. I'd be totally cool with that. ;)
Marianne Bennet chapter 12 . 5/27/2015
Yay, you're back. Curse you for making me abandon my workout when I got the notification.

I'm very pleased you didn't give up on this. Inquisition too made me walk away from my own work on Origins; suddenly, the darkly political world of Origins and II was gone and I was sad (discouraged by the online audience wanting Inquisition fics also). But I have left too many fics unfinished myself.

On a happier note, I really like what you've done here in this last bit with Misery and Varric. I appreciate that she isn't completely 'over' her horrific experience but is clearly not drowning in them. The last bit of internal commentary about vulnerable emotions is spot on. And before that, there were little things: like Misery 'not knowing how to kiss romantically.' You bring such wonderful humanity to the both of them.

Also ten points for making me snigger in public with the opening of Aveline, Brennan, and Donnic.
Iskandar06 chapter 12 . 5/27/2015
Good chapter...
A Markov chapter 12 . 5/26/2015
I'm going to start off this review by taking full credit for the fact that this chapter was published today. That is correct, all readers and followers of this story have me to thank for the current update.

I know what you're thinking. You're wondering how I can claim credit for this when I did not write the chapter... or beta the chapter... or even offer any kind of constructive criticism to the author of the chapter. Well, just look at the timing of when I posted my first review of this story and when this chapter was published. That's right. This story sat for six months. with no updates. Then I post a review and the next day... BAM! update. So, (fellow readers of this tale) you're welcome. Notes of gratitude and monetary compensation can be directed to me via contact information available on my profile page.

It is a super power I did not know I possessed. But now that I know it exists, I'm willing to whore out my services... I mean, I'm willing to help frustrated readers of other (seemingly) abandoned stories by posting reviews on them and jump-starting them, just like I did with this one.

Also, there was some stuff written about the continuing saga of Misery Hawke and her erstwhile companions and it was engaging and entertaining and well presented, so, good for you... um... Wyl. Good job, Wyl. Nice work. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.

-Alex
(Alex's powers of story reanimation are not to be used lightly or without adequate compensation.)
comradspliff chapter 12 . 5/26/2015
Good to see this back, I've got to agree about DA:I. Characters just feel lifeless compared to DA2. Thanks for giving this fic another go, I do remember reading it and was hankering for more.
Geheim chapter 12 . 5/26/2015
I would have to agree with Serah Markov. Varric would never betray Bianca; and while his love may seem excessive to others, in the games he seems absolute in his devotion. Now if you were to change his personality, he and Hawk might work, but you have done an astounding job thus far of portraying Varric exquisitely I can't think that's what you want.

On a happier note you are a terrific writer and while I may not agree with you about that one major plot point, I'm not about to leave this story for just that reason. You have a fan, Serah Wyl.
Pint-sized She-Bear chapter 12 . 5/26/2015
please don't abandon this. it is one of the only varric/hawke stories out there. i do agree with you that dai is rather dull at times and tedious doesn't begin to cover it for some things.
bsods chapter 12 . 5/26/2015
Wow, I just have to say I'm super excited to see you've updated! I've said before that this is one of my favorite stories- and undoubtedly one of the best Dragon Age ones, and I stand by that. It continues to be a joy to read. It doesn't matter if its one chapter or twenty- I'll enjoy this story for however long it lasts. The V/M bits in this chapter were fantastic. Keep up the good work!
A Markov chapter 11 . 5/26/2015
so...

Three hundred thousand words and then nothing for six months?

Putting this on my alerts... Hoping you'll update it. someday. 'till then, I'll just be over here... in the corner... hoping.

Truly, hope is the greatest evil ever released on the world. (or am I remembering that myth wrong?)

A Markov chapter 7 . 5/26/2015
OK, I just have to gt this off my chest. First, I want to say that your story has been really engaging. It's pulled me through over 250K words, so, good job.

Unfortunately, at this point we have come to a problem area. (Yes, you've been hinting at it from the beginning, yes, it has been obvious that we were heading here, BUT we hadn't actually arrived until now.) Hawke/Verric doesn't work. It just doesn't. They're best friends and Varric is already in a committed relationship with Bianca. Also, Merril/Hawke is now and always shall be the one and only OTP. By all rights I should throw this computer down in disgust and walk away.

However,

Your story is good enough that I don't really mind. Seriously enjoying the ride and willing to go where ever you take me. I love a fic that can make me see the characters from a completely new place and enjoy it. Also, this is a really expensive computer that I would have to pay for if I broke it. So, there's that too.