Reviews for Stepfamily
Ziggy chapter 7 . 12/12/2012
I reviewed the previous chap with a long aside blah blah about an Asimov novel, but somehow I forgot to mention how much I ALSO LOVE this "Stepfamily" fan fiction.
That Sammy Joe kid has always been one of my favourites since I first watched the "QL Trilogy", back in the early 90's. Your portrayal of her feelings in this story, how she discovers the actual truth about who her father really is, how she deals with it thru discussions with various people, well, that's something which could have been written for a TV special entitled "Quantum Leap, 20 years After, the Unexpected Consequences of Sam Beckett's Visits In Our Lives" or something equally stupid.
No... This would surely be crap anyway.
YOU are doing much better... are you a professional in human psychology or smt related, to be able to construct such complex and pertinent dialogues between SJ and Donna, or SJ with Ziggy, or Beth, or whoever, which always sound so TRUE ?
I am slowly discovering this story, haven't read this Chap 7 yet but I really wanted to complete my previous review. Thanks for writing one of the BEST QL stories I've read for many many years : we've had hundreds of fan fictions with "Sam leaps in, does his job and leaps out" - many of those are great and a few would even have made better episodes than some we've seen on TV, but dealing with the "sides" of the Project, and what happens to the supporting characters, secretly hidden under that mysterious blue mountain in the desert, is twice as exciting.
Ziggy chapter 6 . 12/12/2012
The conversation between Donna and S-Joe in first half of this chapter made me remember how much I DO LOVE ANYTHING related to the theme of time travel. Of course, beside the whole QL collection, the Marty McFly 3logy would be in my "desert island" package.
Weirdly, it also made me remember an excellent but most underrated novel by famous sci-fi author Isaac Asimov, which I've had in my bookshelves for decades, and have read at least 5 or 6 times since (it was published in the mid-60s as far as I know) entitled "The end of eternity".
In this story, our beloved Sam Beckett would be represented by a special category of people known (between themselves only) as "The Eternals" because they use the power to go back & forth thru centuries and milleniums, our centuries before the 23rd being described as "the Primitive Times", and a mysterious period in a distant future, past the 100,000th century which seems to be a boundary beyond which are the "Hidden Centuries". The Eternals use their power just like Sam B. did on individuals, but they actually control all Reality. If some Observer notices something which might be dangerous for Eternity, they make "necessary changes" in the concerned century (a "century" is the ordinary "time travel unit" in this novel) so the danger is avoided.
Of course, this perfect organisation will, someday, get into real big, big trouble when a new employee arrives, and tries to manipulate Reality and Eternity for his personal and oh, so common reason : his love for a woman. Then, comes one of our favourites in TT stuff : paradoxes, and how to deal with those.

Please, I beg you to discover or re-read this novel, which has always remained in my Top 10, Desert Island, Nuclear Bunker Supplies or Whatever, To Be Saved At All Costs, Bookshelves : Isaac Asimov's "The end of Eternity". I am positively sure Sam Beckett would love it too ;-)
bemeka chapter 10 . 10/20/2012
good story. Really likes the relationship that developed between Sammy Jo and Donna. A sequel would be great. Say one where Sammy Jo is the leaping for a change and without the complete randomness involved.
ComicalEpiphanies chapter 10 . 9/25/2012
This was an interesting tale. Your philosophical discussions were intriguing. Good job.
madbrad chapter 10 . 9/17/2012
Ah, so that's the end? Cool.

Maybe you could have finished with a remark reflecting the synopsis of the story ... "I *am* her step-mother, after all!". Or a comment from Ziggy about her step-sister.

I was getting a bit worried in the middle of this chapter - and growing annoyed with Sammy Jo - as the theory that Sam was a selfish fellow who was deliberately/callously leaving Donna in the lurch was taking form. I'm very pleased you demolished that theory straight away. Whew.

Okay, I've mentioned the possibility of a HP/QL cross once before, but I flashed on a possible storyline between the two again while reading this chapter, which focused so much on Sam's "saving people thing". It would be great to read a story where Sam leaped into another person with an equally strong "saving people thing", say. And where, in the leap, he broke up the absolute worst pairing in the known universe, Harry/Ginny, say. And, of course, where Sam made eyes at the smartest witch of her generation instead (we all know that Sam likes smart girls), say. And then leapt out leaving Harry and said SWOHG clinched and wide awake to possibilities they'd never seen before, say ...

It'd be a great story, I'm just sayin'.

C'mon Sarah, you've got to write it! Please? :-)

(You could have Sam (and SWOHG) pull Rowling's end game plot to pieces and try and build something from the rubble, too.)

I enjoyed this story very much, I had a great time reading it. Sort of amazing how many clever/cool observations you made on time travel or pulled in from the QL canon. It was thoroughly entertaining and satisfying to read. Thanks!
witowsmp chapter 10 . 9/17/2012
Congratulations on finishing this story. I'll admit I would've enjoyed an awkward dinner with the three but at least it's done. Not many authors do that on this site.
shadowquark chapter 10 . 9/15/2012
So very awesome. LOved it
madbrad chapter 9 . 9/9/2012
- "How can something be 'twice as impossible'?' Sammy Jo inquired. "If it's impossible then won't it just stay impossible?"

Ha ha ha. Good grief. In the middle of a crisis and Sammy Jo's meandering.

I like Sammy Jo. :-)

Like you said way back with your other story Odin was fairly reasonable. And it's not like they could stop him anyway.

I liked the detailed scenarios of a dead Sam, an aging corpse Sam, and so forth, and how all of that musing was fuelled by the episodes of the show.
Mikey chapter 8 . 9/5/2012
Sammy Jo can really make anything a horror movie, can't he?
Guest chapter 8 . 9/5/2012
Way to ruin it at the end there, Al.
The Almost Anonymous One chapter 8 . 9/5/2012
I can really identify with her bus story. I had an early school, too, and being a morning person wasn't really possible for me. Cute clock trick.
madbrad chapter 8 . 9/2/2012
- When one of Sam's leaps resulted in your existence?

Gah. That sort of sentence hits me every time. Reminding me of Sammy Jo's existential dilemma in the first place.
Guest chapter 8 . 9/1/2012
I loved the horror movie discussion.
Anon chapter 8 . 9/1/2012
Nice chapter!
Molly Bergstrom chapter 7 . 8/29/2012
Quite enjoying your take on post-series events, and looking forward to seeing where you're going with this. I like the various random conversations of this chapter, Sammy Jo and Donna feeling each other out.

(I live in perpetual hope that 'they' will finally get around to making 'that' movie/mini-series to sum things up, but more and more time keeps passing. )
52 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »