Reviews for Dragon of the West, Phoenix of the West
Touzen chapter 12 . 9/16/2012
The cuteness! Aaah, you're gonna kill me! The kitty cat, the apology, the hug, the kitty cat...how is it even allowed to make Azula this adorable?! And Ty Lee's just a complete sweetheart, I really like your depiction of her. She gets a lot of different interpretations, and a lot of them err more on the serious, angst-y side. And those are fine, and some of them are really good, but your Ty Lee is just a huge ball of cuteness and a perfect match for your Azula. I just love reading from her POV.

Oh, and I meant to make a comment about earlier about how cool it is that you write from Iroh's POV. It's frustrating sometimes when authors ignore everyone except the main couple, so I really enjoy how you're also including Iroh as a dynamic character with relevant thoughts and feelings. And instead of playing with a black and white morality field, you've given him his own internal conflicts that keep him from neatly being "with Azula" or "against Azula". He's written like a real person when he could have so easily been just a plot device, and I don't even know why I'm pointing this out to you except to say thank you.

Now I really need to stop getting excited about how cute everything is, so I'll be ready in case next chapter decides to do something horrible to my heart. Thanks for sharing, and I'm looking forward to more!
Aceina chapter 12 . 9/16/2012
smart kitty but then again all kittys are smart :D
Aurelia le chapter 12 . 9/16/2012
Good to see the assassination subplot hasn't fallen by the wayside, though I think you mentioned we'd be seeing more of it. Now we just need to find out something about who is behind this and why. I know you've focused on the fluff so far, but I hope we can see more action soon.

Iroh's plan of starting their relationship over from scratch is ... well, I guess it's the best he can come up with at the moment. But people try this in real life, and honestly, I kind of doubt how well it ever really works. Everyone says "forgive and forget," but short of a blow to the head, people don't tend to forget that they've been wronged or who wronged them.

I guess the trick is just not to dwell on it, or trot it out to blame the other person for. And that seems to be working so far, but then, it's been less than twenty-four hours. I suppose we'll see.

The "introductions" were a little ridiculous, but such a situation is ridiculous by default, so that's nothing to do with your writing. I'm kind of surprised Azula went along with it, but she is rather short of options at the moment. And if Iroh and Azula can get over their mutual dislike long enough to listen to each other, they might each begin to grasp more of the other's perspective.

Iroh's apology was pretty basic, but his thoughts at least seem to indicate he is willing to see Azula's side. "It would be nice if doing the right thing overlapped more often with doing the easy and enjoyable thing." An interesting acknowledgment here that, for all his wisdom, Iroh can be somewhat morally lazy ... a man of many contradictions, and I think you do a good job of capturing that.

The kitten "saving" Azula was ... how to put this? Tastes Like Diabetes. And its presence continues to annoy me. It just feels out of place. But that may be because, despite this being billed as fluff, that's not what I'm reading for. You've delivered on every promise so far though, and I hope you can keep up this pace.

Thanks for the double update.
sugahkane chapter 12 . 9/16/2012
And the plot thickens. And I laughed out loud here, "Of course she likes me." Azula jerked the ribbon away before the cat could pounce on it. "Anyone with an ounce of good taste likes me."

Great job! I especially appreciate the 2 updates in 2 days!
Kim chapter 12 . 9/16/2012
Except TyZula, I love the story!
Salixj chapter 12 . 9/16/2012
FANTASTIC!
Aceina chapter 11 . 9/15/2012
good chapter cant wiat to see where things go will these 2 finaly become friends after so long i realy hope they talk about bai sing sey in ther emiltaty stratgy conversation as azula did what iroh failed to do there
Led Feynman M.D. D.D.S. Ph.D chapter 11 . 9/15/2012
Nice
Touzen chapter 11 . 9/15/2012
Oh gosh, I just had the most horrible pang of guilt when I realized I still hadn't left a review for this fic. It was one of those instances where I was up way too late because I just couldn't stop reading and fell asleep immediately after I was finished. So yeah, this is a pretty short chapter and my response can be summed up as something like: "Oh thank goodness everything's going nicely, no one has their head up their butts, and Azula gets to really act like a smarty-pants again! I can relax because it looks like these lovelies can have a break from the drama for a bit!"

But I also need to tell you how much I love this story as a whole because oh my GOD, the scene in chapter nine had me sniffling like a baby! Have you ever had a moment where you're casually reading something and then the author does some amazing thing that makes you just stop existing for a moment and wholeheartedly love everything about them and their story? Yeah, well, that was what happened. That scene broke my heart, but in the good way because I don't read stories with the intention of NOT being emotionally affected. And then chapter ten almost had me sniffling again, because of the other kind of heartache, where I was just sitting there full of feelings of "Oh you poor sweet babies, please feel better, please be happy, please cuddle more!"

So there you go. Even though I probably should've waited till morning to leave a review because you can probably tell that I'm half delirious with sleep-deprivation right now. But I think forgetting to leave a review would be a worse crime than spamming you with slightly incoherent praise. So, thanks so much for sharing, and I'm looking forward to more!
Guest chapter 10 . 9/10/2012
I absolutely love this story! I can't wait to see what happens next!
withoutmarbles chapter 10 . 9/6/2012
...and I leave a review quite some time after I read the chapter. Anyways, you continue to wow me with your portrayal of all the characters. Azula is spot on in her reaction to last chapter's incident, and Ty Lee had some nice depth added here in her blatant manipulation of Iroh. I also enjoyed Ty Lee's little speech about Azula, especially with the added metaphor.

The kitten was a nice touch, as well. Azula, with her guard up, tossed it away, but in her more relaxed state she began petting it, which was a nice little view into her gentler side even if only for a few sentences.

The Tyzula build-up is eating my feelings. ;-; In a good way. Always a good way.
nihao.muse chapter 10 . 9/3/2012
I really love your interpretation and portrayal of Azula's character. It shows how much insight you have into her mind. I'm enjoying this story so far! I like the mystery with the assassin and the interactions between Azula and Ty Lee. I actually felt sick when you described the "torture device" Azula has to wear to keep from firebending. I suppose it is logical to inhibit her powers, but it sounds so cruel. I really hope Iroh understands what he's doing and what he's been doing to Azula. Didn't he throw her off her ship in the first episode of season two? He doesn't mind taking drastic measures, even though she's his teenage niece. Anyway, I like how your fic makes me think more about Azula's family problems.
Yourowncreeper chapter 10 . 9/2/2012
I can't tell if Azula is actually crazy and in pain or if she just manipulating everyone to murder Zuko
N3phtys chapter 10 . 9/2/2012
It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!

I absolutely love it. It's great to see some TyZula (even though it's not really anything romantic on screen so far), and it's even greater to see some 3-dimensional characters, as in Iroh and Ty Lee. Not Azula.
That's what makes it really great. You can't tell how much coming from Azula is genuine and how much is manipulation.
In each case she gets all sympathy, because of her screwed up life so far.
In the next chapter we'll get Iroh/Azula, and that's gotta be great.
I'm just hoping she gets some leverage on him. Right now she is just a weak, innocent and mistreated girl... and Iroh is so not going to buy that. That he hurt her in the ninth chapter shows that he is so much more physical superior to her right now... and at that point in her life just going to be the obedient little failure of a person is just not an option.

Also, the assassination plot was out far too long. I fear it's gonna come back in the worst possible moment... for Azula.

But hey, as long as TyZula gets some romance and Iroh can watch, everyone's happy, aren't they?
Adeyah chapter 1 . 9/2/2012
This is one of , if not the most realistic interactions of azula and iroh that I have seen on fanfiction. You have definately managed to paint a very hateful picture of iroh here, something which isn't seen very often and not many people are able to do it. I also love the way ty lee stood up to iroh in Azula's defence , and that azula was in fact, treatment in the asylum was worse than that given to prisoners. I am looking forward to the part where iroh realises how unfairly he has treated his niece, and himself makes an attempt to improve their relationship .
97 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »