Reviews for Dragon of the West, Phoenix of the West
Aceina chapter 11 . 9/15/2012
good chapter cant wiat to see where things go will these 2 finaly become friends after so long i realy hope they talk about bai sing sey in ther emiltaty stratgy conversation as azula did what iroh failed to do there
Led Feynman M.D. D.D.S. Ph.D chapter 11 . 9/15/2012
Nice
Touzen chapter 11 . 9/15/2012
Oh gosh, I just had the most horrible pang of guilt when I realized I still hadn't left a review for this fic. It was one of those instances where I was up way too late because I just couldn't stop reading and fell asleep immediately after I was finished. So yeah, this is a pretty short chapter and my response can be summed up as something like: "Oh thank goodness everything's going nicely, no one has their head up their butts, and Azula gets to really act like a smarty-pants again! I can relax because it looks like these lovelies can have a break from the drama for a bit!"

But I also need to tell you how much I love this story as a whole because oh my GOD, the scene in chapter nine had me sniffling like a baby! Have you ever had a moment where you're casually reading something and then the author does some amazing thing that makes you just stop existing for a moment and wholeheartedly love everything about them and their story? Yeah, well, that was what happened. That scene broke my heart, but in the good way because I don't read stories with the intention of NOT being emotionally affected. And then chapter ten almost had me sniffling again, because of the other kind of heartache, where I was just sitting there full of feelings of "Oh you poor sweet babies, please feel better, please be happy, please cuddle more!"

So there you go. Even though I probably should've waited till morning to leave a review because you can probably tell that I'm half delirious with sleep-deprivation right now. But I think forgetting to leave a review would be a worse crime than spamming you with slightly incoherent praise. So, thanks so much for sharing, and I'm looking forward to more!
Guest chapter 10 . 9/10/2012
I absolutely love this story! I can't wait to see what happens next!
withoutmarbles chapter 10 . 9/6/2012
...and I leave a review quite some time after I read the chapter. Anyways, you continue to wow me with your portrayal of all the characters. Azula is spot on in her reaction to last chapter's incident, and Ty Lee had some nice depth added here in her blatant manipulation of Iroh. I also enjoyed Ty Lee's little speech about Azula, especially with the added metaphor.

The kitten was a nice touch, as well. Azula, with her guard up, tossed it away, but in her more relaxed state she began petting it, which was a nice little view into her gentler side even if only for a few sentences.

The Tyzula build-up is eating my feelings. ;-; In a good way. Always a good way.
nihao.muse chapter 10 . 9/3/2012
I really love your interpretation and portrayal of Azula's character. It shows how much insight you have into her mind. I'm enjoying this story so far! I like the mystery with the assassin and the interactions between Azula and Ty Lee. I actually felt sick when you described the "torture device" Azula has to wear to keep from firebending. I suppose it is logical to inhibit her powers, but it sounds so cruel. I really hope Iroh understands what he's doing and what he's been doing to Azula. Didn't he throw her off her ship in the first episode of season two? He doesn't mind taking drastic measures, even though she's his teenage niece. Anyway, I like how your fic makes me think more about Azula's family problems.
Yourowncreeper chapter 10 . 9/2/2012
I can't tell if Azula is actually crazy and in pain or if she just manipulating everyone to murder Zuko
N3phtys chapter 10 . 9/2/2012
It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!

I absolutely love it. It's great to see some TyZula (even though it's not really anything romantic on screen so far), and it's even greater to see some 3-dimensional characters, as in Iroh and Ty Lee. Not Azula.
That's what makes it really great. You can't tell how much coming from Azula is genuine and how much is manipulation.
In each case she gets all sympathy, because of her screwed up life so far.
In the next chapter we'll get Iroh/Azula, and that's gotta be great.
I'm just hoping she gets some leverage on him. Right now she is just a weak, innocent and mistreated girl... and Iroh is so not going to buy that. That he hurt her in the ninth chapter shows that he is so much more physical superior to her right now... and at that point in her life just going to be the obedient little failure of a person is just not an option.

Also, the assassination plot was out far too long. I fear it's gonna come back in the worst possible moment... for Azula.

But hey, as long as TyZula gets some romance and Iroh can watch, everyone's happy, aren't they?
Adeyah chapter 1 . 9/2/2012
This is one of , if not the most realistic interactions of azula and iroh that I have seen on fanfiction. You have definately managed to paint a very hateful picture of iroh here, something which isn't seen very often and not many people are able to do it. I also love the way ty lee stood up to iroh in Azula's defence , and that azula was in fact, treatment in the asylum was worse than that given to prisoners. I am looking forward to the part where iroh realises how unfairly he has treated his niece, and himself makes an attempt to improve their relationship .
LokFan chapter 10 . 9/1/2012
Oh this was an amazing chapter! And the kitty omg kitties always make everything better! Update soon
Aurelia le chapter 10 . 9/1/2012
Ah, a new chapter! And well worth the wait.

I think Azula’s conversation with Ty Lee flowed well and made sense for her character, despite any misgivings you might have on that score. (I’ve kind of started following you on tumblr, to the extent I can follow anyone without an account of my own.) Azula is at first unwilling to talk about what happened, either just now or more recently. And she would be.

But she needs to talk to someone, having no way in her current situation (such as throwing herself into work or training to the point of exhaustion) to deny the effect any of this has on her. (Azula seems more like the type who would internalize all that hurt and anger and mostly only let it out indirectly, maybe channeling it into her firebending, etc.) So Azula keeps thinking about it until she finally can’t help but ask Ty Lee what captivity was like for her, and reflect on her father’s reaction to prison. I think in a way, Azula is indirectly asking Ty Lee how she coped with being imprisoned or trying to determine if captivity was as bad for her as it was for Azula. She needs a new way to cope, and I think she hopes Ty Lee can give that to her.

The fact that Ozai lives in comfort and complains bitterly about it, while his daughter was abused in secret without anyone to visit or check up on her, really highlights the unfairness of Azula’s situation … a fact that doesn’t escape her. (And now Ty Lee makes the connection too.) A lot of the “evil” things Azula did she did at her father’s command or to win the approval that was the closest she could ever come to love from him.

And yet Azula, an emotionally unstable fifteen year old who has never known any reality but serving her father, is punished more harshly for lesser crimes than a sane and fully autonomous Ozai. Why? I think Ty Lee has the right of it here: Because Azula was more of a threat to Zuko’s rule than Ozai. So Iroh essentially lied to Zuko about the conditions of her commitment, to neutralize the threat Azula represented.

(Not that this absolves Zuko either, when he apparently made no effort to visit her from the time she was institutionalized to when he discovered – quite by accident – she was being abused. I kind of have to wonder what even caused him to make that visit, when he could be bothered to drink tea with his genocidal, child-abusing father once a week without once attempting to visit Azula. Shades of the The Promise…)

In all fairness, Iroh seems to have convinced himself there was no other place for Azula to go, and he probably reasoned there was no sense in Zuko angsting about that if it couldn’t be helped. He might have thought he had to protect Zuko from his own soft heart, as well as from his sister. But that is about as fair as I’m willing to be, because none of this makes anything Iroh did less wrong.

Again though, I can imagine Iroh allowing his niece to come to harm through inaction or even willing deception on his part. (We have already witnessed him write her off on the show; it’s sadly believable he might do the same post-war.) To see this acknowledged not just by Azula but by Ty Lee – sweet, bubbly Ty Lee, who always thinks the best of everyone – is immensely satisfying. Ty Lee is smarter than people give her credit for…

“Iroh had always been Azula's nice, funny uncle … if Iroh was going to hurt Azula, Ty Lee wanted to know.” There was so much of Azula’s history and how it continues to impact her contained in this one paragraph, that I am just … in awe of this paragraph. A lot of what you wrote here are possibilities I have considered for Azula and her relationships. But you capture this so well in Ty Lee’s thoughts and tie it in such an organic way to the situation in-story right now that I am really impressed. You have a talent for using your words to maximum impact.

“‘Her dad used to lose his temper and hurt Zuko and Azula all the time, especially when they had firebending accidents.’ She said it in her sweetest, most genuine voice so he would feel especially guilty.” More proof that Ty Lee is smarter than some would give her credit for, especially when it comes to the people she cares about. Also amusing that she has the will and ability to manipulate other people’s emotions, something she shares in common with (and may have even picked up from) Azula.

The kitten seemed kind of random, but then I remembered your plans for TyZula as stated in your Q&A on tumblr, and I began to understand. It still felt a little out of place, but at least Azula’s reaction to cute fuzzy animals is what I would expect.

I look forward to her conversation with Iroh next chapter. That promises to be interesting, and I can’t wait to see how their one-sided fight and the fallout will impact his behavior toward Azula.

Thanks for another great chapter. :)
Guest chapter 10 . 9/1/2012
best chapter yet, love the kitty and azula peting it in the end lol so cute :)
ty lee, keep spillin the truth! ;)
lantur19 chapter 10 . 9/1/2012
This was the best chapter so far, no doubt about it. The emotions in the scene where Azula and Ty Lee were talking about Ozai and Ty Lee's experiences in prison, and Azula's experience in the asylum, made this one of the best scenes in this fic so far. I just love the commentary you made in here. I wanted to give Ty Lee ALL the hugs and awards in this chapter, because she definitely speaks the truth. As always, characterization is flawless, to the point where I can hear Azula and Ty Lee speaking their lines in my mind's eye. I love this, and I can't wait to see what the next chapter has in store. :)
Aceina chapter 10 . 9/1/2012
verry good chapter and i like hte kitty i hope it becomes azulas pet nothign helps a peron trew pain like a pet
Salixj chapter 10 . 9/1/2012
Excellent. Just excellent. I love the kitten entry, and how Azula refuses it, but when she isn't actually thinking about it her truer self comes out and she cuddles it.
91 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »