Reviews for Dragon of the West, Phoenix of the West
sugahkane chapter 10 . 9/1/2012
Great chapter. I especially like Ty Lee's metaphor. And how at the end of the chapter, Azula is subtly petting the cat that she just all but cursed out minutes earlier.
Guest chapter 10 . 9/1/2012
love it
Led Feynman M.D. D.D.S. Ph.D chapter 10 . 9/1/2012
Aww kitty
Guest chapter 9 . 8/18/2012
oh i really like your story! its very good, please update soon! :D
Lee Savage chapter 9 . 8/12/2012
I love how you characterize Iroh. He's not just the jolly wise man. He makes mistakes and has his own prejudices. And poor Azula. :( I'm definitely glad that this explores their relationship in a way that is complex. Good work! :)
Aceina chapter 9 . 8/11/2012
wow this fic is good adn i enjoy how ure showing how iroh is not perfect for he never did give azula a chance

even when she was just a child he hated her every 1 well every 1 but ty lee

after all can u blame a her for goign to her father when every 1 else treated her poorly for her advacned fire bendign skills after all a monster who wants to use you as a tool is better than no1 wantign u at all
withoutmarbles chapter 9 . 8/9/2012
I continue to marvel at your brilliant portrayal of Azula. She is a very consistent character through all your works, which is a feat of magnificence on your part considering she is such a complex character.

I also enjoy what you're doing with Iroh's character, even if I'm not a big fan of him right now in light of his treatment of his emotionally unstable niece. Iroh's treatment of Azula in the show always rubbed me the wrong way (specifically that line about Azula being crazy and needing to go down), and I like how you've explored that side of him instead of portraying him as some saint. He would definitely not accept Azula the way he accepted Zuko, and you've shown that wonderfully.

I had to come back and reread that last part of chapter nine several times because it was just so great. You didn't reduce Azula to a blithering mess when she cried (thank you!) and you captured Ty Lee perfectly in the way she avoided Iroh after his treatment of Azula. I think I sensed a subtle change in his perception of her at the end of that last chapter - or maybe I'm just crazy.

Anyways, I can't wait for the next instalment. :D
Stella chapter 9 . 8/8/2012
I enjoy this story so much. Azula is a hard character to portray, but you do a good job at it. I hope you update soon (:
BlueLion chapter 9 . 8/8/2012
Fascinating. You paint a really unfavorable picture of Iroh here. All in all many facts are in favor of Azula here. Azula often is more bark than bite - she threatened her captain, but she didn't harm him at all.
While Iroh is responsible for thousands of lives during the siege of Ba Sing Se, Azula on the other hand took no life - she succeeded to win Ba Sing Se cunning and without any bloodshed. She didn't take the regency herself, but gave the administration to a native Ba Sing Se woman - Joo dee.
She didn't kill the Kyoshi warriors, she just took them prisoner. She enabled Zuko to return home. She didn't kill neither Mai nor Ty Lee, though both committed high treason, instead she just took them prisoner.
Azula's a talented and plucky gal, shows impressive leadership and . The girl has been 14 years old - such is what people, much more teens suffer by war - in the end PTSD broke her.
Summing up all those points, Azula's got a lot to be commended here - I wonder if Iroh will be prepared to repent his errors too. I believe that Azula might not take the throne any longer - but she might be able to prove a staunch supporter for the rights of the colonies' citizen - in some way the desperate situation of the colonies reminds me of Northern Ireland here ...
I'm really looking forward how you'll develop the plot and charas - your story is a thrilling tale, keep up the fascinating plot!
N3phtys chapter 9 . 8/8/2012
Great chapter! Even if some TyZula-comforting is bitter needed now. Both Azula and Iroh seem to have a very difficult temper... and Azula has the physical disadvantage.
Also, her comments on Iroh's sexism seemed... understandable. This was always my theory about Azula's childhood taking the way it took.
Great work!

Also, a summary-review of the entire story so far:
*thumpsup!*
It's already in my Top5 and I'm sure it's going to stay.

But to give some pros and cons:
the mature tone and mood in it. It does make it more realistic while not going into all that angsty stuff
all 3 characters seem completely in-character (while Li and Lo do not, but I'm thinking they're not the main characters, aren't they?)
so far the world seems "in-character" too, especially with the market woman bowing to Azula. She is after all the rightful - and better trained - ruler of the nation.
-We do not get any of Azula's POV or what's on her mind...
...but that's good! Don't change it please.

Also, please don't forget the main assasination plot and everything. So far that's the only thing you could mess up anymore in this awesome story.

Please continue! :) Can't wait for the next chapter
N3phtys chapter 8 . 8/8/2012
soo... a review is needed here, isn't it?

This chapter was a great interlude. Azula gets tempted with the political power she still has; and Iroh notices.

Also, Ty Zula :) who wouldn't like that?
Guest chapter 9 . 8/7/2012
Nice chapter. I'm glad you made Azula call Iroh out on his crap. Most times Iroh gets portrayed as some kind of jolly saint who became disenfranchised with the war after his son died and became a peacemaker. Iroh has flaws like everyone else and I think his treatment of Azula is one of his biggest flaws. I always thought his whole speech on her being "crazy and needing to go down" highlights how blind he can be. Realistically wanting to kill a 14 year old girl, who is a close blood relative and (it has never been implied) has never killed anyone makes the speaker seem crazy. It's the classic "wise good" mentor - underdog hero team versus talented "evil" sibiling trope that doesn't get called out often enough.
Guest chapter 9 . 8/7/2012
Good chapter. I just wanted to mention that Azula isn't actually older than Zuko. She acts like it but she's actually supposed to be two years younger. And I don't really think Iroh resents Azula quite as much as he does here, but still, interesting story.
WARLOCK2552 chapter 9 . 8/7/2012
the situation in this chapter was entirely Iroh's fault. Not much else to say other the old man royaly messed up.
91 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »