Reviews for Dragon of the West, Phoenix of the West
Aurelia le chapter 5 . 7/22/2012
Have not been able to review, because for whatever reason my home wireless blocks this story ... but, interesting developments.

Iroh remains almost comically suspicious of Azula, just like I would expect. This also gives her a lot more opportunity to snipe at him, not that she needs it. Still amusing to watch their dynamic, and wonder what changes you plan. So far, he treats her disappointingly like Ursa did, only paying attention to her to show suspicion or criticize. Their brief discussion of Azula's conquest of Ba Sing Se showed promise though; more honest conversation like that, and they might reach a better understanding.

Zuko has been surprisingly reasonable (for him) about allowing Azula some freedoms so far, especially this last chapter. He must realize that Azula has no reason to invest in this rehabilitation scheme unless she can anticipate tangible improvements in her life. He seems to genuinely care for her well-being though, and his kiss on the forehead to her was extremely cute.

I still wonder about the wisdom of sending her to Ember Island though. Yeah, she needs to get away from Zuko, the palace, and bad memories associated with them, but it's an obvious security risk. Hopefully Ty Lee and Iroh will be enough to hold off any attempts on her life, but considering what a concerted effort that is likely to be, I doubt it. Perhaps Azula will break loose of the corset and show them she can use her firebending for legitimate defense (maybe even, dare I speculate, of Ty Lee and/or Iroh themselves) and not just world conquest. That might prove instructive, for Iroh especially.

Not much to say on Ty Lee, except I think your portrayal is pretty accurate. She seemed a lot closer to Azula than anyone else on the show, and her insights into the Fire princess reflect that. Thank you too, for not making Azula degenerate into a raving lunatic around her, but act believably cold and hurtful toward Ty Lee for her betrayal at the Boiling Rock. This is a lot closer to how I think their reunion would happen, and Ty Lee's justification and Azula's rejection felt real to me. We'll just have to see how they proceed.

I'm also really enjoying the short chapters - a nice change from my own style - and quick update speed. I look forward to reading more from you, and thanks!
Guest chapter 1 . 7/22/2012
This is just sad to even read.. You got them treating her like an abused animal.. And ty lee is going on with it like she cares..its sick
WARLOCK2552 chapter 5 . 7/21/2012
Well Frankly I don't blame Azula for being so craby. if I had to where a corset like that all time I'd be angry too. then again im a guy.

Anyway i hope you update soon because this story is realy grabing my curriousity.
WARLOCK2552 chapter 4 . 7/19/2012
hmmm...

things are getting interesting.
Redneck Badger Lord Drizzt chapter 1 . 7/18/2012
Interesting premise, I'll be glad to see where this particular Azula redemption story goes. It's already far surpassed the status-quo for such stories.
WARLOCK2552 chapter 3 . 7/18/2012
Hmmm.. I like this story but the chapters are a little short.

That's not improtant, anyway I suspect humor in this story. Just because it seems that Iroh and Azula might just drive eachother up the wall.
JuststartHere chapter 3 . 7/17/2012
Great story so far. Azula has always been my favorite character. I have recently started working on ideas for an Azula fic and I was just looking at some other stories, just to see what was out there. This one really intrigued me. I will continue reading.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/17/2012
Ok i'm interested. Please continue asap.
N3phtys chapter 2 . 7/15/2012
Okay, its... good.
But something important is missing...
Chapter 3!

:D
liked both chapters, especially the second.
"Fuck you, old fool!" love it.
Also, Azula honest as hell? great. Also like how Iroh is still not trusting any of her.

Good work!
Aurelia le chapter 2 . 7/15/2012
How does this not have any reviews yet? Maybe because it's Sunday morning, and you updated so quickly from yesterday?

Anyway, it's insights into the Fire Nation royal family like these that made me favorite you as an author, beyond any of your individual works (which are also impressive). Not many people realize how many similarities Azula and Iroh share in common, both tactical geniuses and the favored child of their respective parents, both probably the best firebenders of their generation and skilled enough to invent techniques unique to them. And all indications were that before Lu Ten was killed, Iroh might well have been comparable to Azula in mindset (joking about burning Ba Sing Se to the ground), if a good deal jollier.

That Iroh doesn't see these similarities I think stems primarily from his favoritism toward Zuko, which causes him to demonize Azula. I look forward to seeing your interpretation of how they might mend the rift between them, an uncommon premise in post-series Azula fic.

The corset that restricts her firebending is an interesting idea too, and oddly appropriate, since Avatar is set at a technological level equivalent to the 1850's (if Korra is 1920's-esque, seventy years post-series). Azula's obvious trauma and the abuse she suffered at the beginning were sad, but entirely likely for asylums of that general time period.

I do wonder if Zuko will make any effort to help out the rest of the patients there though? If a patient as high-profile as Azula was being abused, how much worse would they treat someone whose family just dropped them there to forget about them? Not the point of the story by a long-shot, but Zuko is compassionate enough that I like to think he might move to reform the asylums, once he realizes how ineffective and harmful they are.

A great start to what I anticipate will be a gripping story. Thanks!
WeirdCouplesLast4ever chapter 1 . 7/15/2012
I like the story and very excited how far it will go!
86 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6