Reviews for One Noble Function
Rachel Indeed chapter 6 . 8/4/2017
Wow, I'm so happy I happened to come across this today. I love your writing. Your fic "Tracking Time" was one of the first House fics I ever read, and today for the first time in years it came back into my mind and I asked myself, 'Did she write something at the end of the series, too, I wonder?' So I came here to look, and I'm so glad I did. One of the things I most admire about your writing is how three-dimensional and detailed it is, and how you avoid sentiment and any direct expressions of feeling but still make deep emotion ring through your characters and into your readers. I teared up reading the Gettysburg chapter. And Wilson still needing the maps, wanting to know where they're going and where they never will. That later moment when Wilson absently daydreams about living with House and growing chili peppers also hit me hard. I feel like this fic is, in its quiet way, the perfect bookend to "Tracking Time" - I feel like I have traveled so far with these two characters through your stories. They begin in motion and end in motion, side by side, never fully explaining themselves to each other but gliding along on exasperation, nonsense, familiarity, and devotion and somehow they are still stealing happiness from the indifferent world.

I love them. I'm glad they're still there, together. Thank you for your beautiful writing, it has had a real impact on me.
08joanna chapter 6 . 12/10/2012
I love how House is still being his whiny self, yet indulging Wilson in what he wants to do. This trip is for Wilson, after all, and there's no way House will ever forget that. He'll aggravate his leg riding the bike forever and go wherever Wilson wants and do whatever Wilson wants to do (even if he complains about it), because that's the whole point of the sacrifice he's made.
KNITTYWOMAN chapter 6 . 12/9/2012
I can so see House hating caves. Really, they're all kinda the same. And cold. It's good to see another part of the adventure.
OldSFfan chapter 6 . 12/9/2012
Watching Wilson follow his bucket list is fun. The cave sounds interesting.
OldSFfan chapter 4 . 9/16/2012
So what is bothering House, besides a yen for barbecue?
Guest chapter 2 . 8/25/2012
Nice tribute to Neil Armstrong. And yes, I do remember the event vividly. LOL!
OldSFfan chapter 3 . 8/25/2012
Keeping it going. A moving chapter. One Noble Function, indeed.
08joanna chapter 3 . 8/25/2012
Again, this chapter is very much in character, and I love the detail you provide. I went to college in PA Dutch country, so know the area very well. Looking forward to House & Wilson's future stops on this trip.
Visitkarte chapter 2 . 7/26/2012
Wonderful, excitingly uneventful and very IC. I love it!
OldSFfan chapter 2 . 7/26/2012
Very different story. Well done. I look forward to more chapters.
08joanna chapter 2 . 7/26/2012
I like that you're keeping House House, even in this situation (I just can't see him changing his whole personality because of Wilson's illness). It's also good that you're remembering the age difference between them. House definitely was old enough to remember Apollo 11, and it's unlikely that Wilson could've (though not impossible).
freddy chapter 2 . 7/26/2012
Why does House have to be such a killjoy? For just once he should keep his miserable opinions to himself and let others wallow in what they want to! afterall he's been wallowing in self-pity for years.
Hope if this continues we have something to look forward to, other than Wilson's impending demise.
MissBates chapter 2 . 7/25/2012
This is quite some chapter. Memories of what really was, memories of what should have been, pseudo-memories, hallucinations (nice parallel to House's ones in the burning building there). There's also the question of whether House's 'real' memories are any more valid than Wilson's false ones - John House, were he still alive, would remember the same incident differently.

' "They must have been some crazy sons of bitches," he'd said.'
He'd probably say the same of House and Wilson.
MissBates chapter 1 . 7/25/2012
"Classic," House said, "from the Greek, meaning boring."

Very House. I liked the thought of his 'regulars' getting together to buy a wreath, and Wilson instinctively trying to gloss it over for Blythe.
smiddlecn chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
This is marvelous-and all so very believable. House wanting to jazz up the bike...hookers leaving flowers at the funeral...the back and forth exchange about the money (and thanks for explaining how Wilson got that phone in his pocket). I eagerly await the next installment of this series!