Reviews for One of Our Kind
Ilse17 chapter 1 . 6/18
I like this. I'm sure that was what Mary thought of Tom, at least until he helped so much to sort out the quarrel between her and Matthew just before the wedding. But the "ritual of removing the pins" seems to imply that in your story they are already married ? At this point, I think it becomes a bit OOC and that in canon she doesn't dislike Tom anymore. But you're right anyway about the fact that Mary certainly can't like what Tom said about the Romanovs.
Through that dialogue, though, it seems to me that there is an elephant in the room : Mary rejected Matthew when there was a risk that he would remain a middle class solicitor.
I think Matthew could envy Tom somehow for Sybil's lack of concern about money and social status. The fact that he never seems to think about it is another proof of how kindhearted and forgiving he is. I don't think that Mary deserves him.
And I for one like Tom, by the way. He seems to me rather patient with all the barbs and sarcasms he gets from many members of the family. He just won't be an hypocrite when it comes to his opinions.
millernumber1 chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
Mmmm. Amazingly precise Mary - both halves of her - the consummate aristocrat in the best sense of the word, brilliant, polished, urbane, witty, surface - and the passionate woman, full of vulnerability, love, hate, fear, courage - everything that makes us love her most of all :)

Well, maybe just a few of us.
Allie chapter 1 . 9/29/2012
Hm. Maybe it's because I'm a socialist myself but I rather sided with the absent Branson here because frankly, he's right. His methods need work but the message is on point. Mary's classism is what's to be expected from her but ahh well. *kanye shrug*
hillevi chapter 1 . 8/3/2012
I agree, it would be so boring if suddenly Mary and Branson became pals. He thaught the murder of the tsars daughters was a nessesary sacrifice... What would that notion make Mary feel towards him?
So good writing, thank you for sharing.
Frea O'Scanlin chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
This is exactly how I think Mary would feel. I don't see them all palling around because they're young and Robert is so backwards, either. Mary still has her standards and for all that she didn't get in Branson's way with her parents (she could have, easily, after they tried to elope), she has very real reasons for disliking him. And I'm not just saying that because *I* dislike him, either. After all, "You don't have a chauffeur. I thought I could drive the car." "Preferably over the chauffeur."

This fic did a great job exploring that nuance, and it was a wonderful read. I wish I'd seen it earlier. I don't know why I didn't, but now it's made my day, so thank you for that.
patsan chapter 1 . 7/17/2012
Eh, I find it totally realistic, given Mary and Tom's past, but I think she'll be more teasing that biting for her beloved Sybil's sake and because well... she went to the marriage, she probably saw how Branson makes Sybil happy, I guess. Anyway loved the banter between M/M :)
MuchTooHighACost chapter 1 . 7/17/2012
Quite lovely, as usual. Well done, a portrait of what I hope their marriage is like in S3:)
1life2ROCK chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
Love this! I can't wait to see what happens in S3 when Mary and Matthew get married. Hopefully we see some personal husband-wife moments like this.
SaharaTea chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
Loved this! Very true to character, and I can never get enough of M/M sexual tension.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
This is such a good story with fine insight into Mary.

And I 100% agree Branson and Mary would never, ever get along. He would always think he was better than her, and Mary would likewise be 1000% convinced she would be better than him. And to me that's far more interesting than them being buddy-buddy. I love Mary being all dismissive and "Pipe down" to him.
usafan2 chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
Your writing is really good. Lovely story. Love to read more of married Mary and Matthew from you soon.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
Hear hear.
Anonymous Again chapter 1 . 7/15/2012
Agree completely with your series 3 speculations, it won't all be rosy and wonderful. Good balance of bickering-I hope that m/m don't lose that in series 3-and a tinge of fluff.
Agnes Robinson chapter 1 . 7/15/2012
I've always written Branson and Mary as enemies. They would never get along.