Reviews for Filthy little house elf
Someone aka Me chapter 1 . 5/24/2013
…Wow. Just… wow. The sheer /power/ of this piece is absolutely astounding. It's dark and haunting and it makes my skin crawl and that's beautiful.
First, Sirius. He is so utterly /warped/. It's utterly terrifying. The idea that he is doing what he has seen, that he has learned cruelty by observation — it's scary.
And then Ella. Because I am completely torn between being sympathetic and being horrified — because what happened to her was absolutely in no way okay, but at the same time that doesn't /justify/ who she became, it merely /explains/ it.
You did an extremely fantastic job in creating very dynamic, very /real/ characters, and you did it in a succinct manner. This is truly an exceptional piece of writing, and I can definitely see why you're particularly proud of it.
I almost think the scariest part is that no one notices. They are all /right there/, and they all see the /results/ of this, but they all write it off because… because that's /human/, and… just, wow.
So, overall, this is an absolutely fantastic look at a dark situation and you've made it absolutely raw and real and that's just… beautiful. Well done.
my insides are blue chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
Gosh this is quite intense and dark, but beautifully written. In the first portion, Elladora's innocence contrasted with Sirius's cruelty made their differences more precise. I felt so sorry for Elladora! But I like the fact that you showed how it was a child's game at first, and I like how Sirius' death had changed Elladora. An interesting perspective of how the beheading of house elves started.

The last portion practically gave me shivers, but it was just the beauty and intensity of the whole thing. For such a topic as the Black Family, you've shown exactly the right amount of darkness and cruelty here. Amazing work.
00982374-deactivated chapter 1 . 3/29/2013
Wow. Poor Elladora, having to put up with Sirius treating her that way. It's interesting to think that this was how the tradition of beheading and displaying elf heads started. This is incredibly dark, but really, it's a interesting read. Great job!
the lola chapter 1 . 3/16/2013
Well this was an excellent back story. Poor Elladora! Wow, that is an awful ordeal, but I suppose Sirius got what was coming to him, right? I just knew how hopeless the little toddler was, and that there was really nothing she could do. It portrays that evil streak of the Blacks excellently. I liked that that was her reason for treating house elves the way she did.
The Crownless Queen chapter 1 . 3/13/2013
Poor Elladora :( This was actually pretty horrible to read, but so very well written and Sirius and Elladora were so well characterized I couldn't help but love this. It's an interesting take on the reason why Elladora hated House-Elves and how exactly the heads ended up on that wall.
Good job ;)
whirlwinds of watercolours chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
An interesting look into how Elladora started the tradition of beheading their elves when they were too old to carry the tea tray. Good job!
bluemacaroons chapter 1 . 2/11/2013
This is a fairly dark fic but it makes for a really interesting read. The idea, and how you laid it out worked really well so it flowed nicely, and combined with it having been written very well made it easier to really enjoy, which I did.
Overall, I actually really liked it, as usually I'm one to read more light fics and such but this is really good!
silver-nightstorm chapter 1 . 2/9/2013
Oh my goodness, this was absolutely brilliant! I love your take on why she started to put the heads up on the walls, it's so perfect and the trauma that she endured as a toddler would lead to a conclusion like the one she's drawn. Amazing job :)
lowi chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
This is absolutely amazing. Incredibly interesting, and one of the most intriguing, tantalizing stories I've read in a while! I've never thought much of why Sirius' mother had such a odd dislike for house-elves, but now that I've read this, I've realised that yes, there must have been something (because it would make more sense if she treated them as invisible, or ignored them, than have them decapitated), and your explanation made perfect sense. So I guess I should thank you for my new headcanon, shouldn't I? :)

I also think you wrote both Sirius and Elladora wonderfully well - you established their personalities really well, and I enjoyed how you could see Elladora having grown up (in the end), but that it still was so her, you know?

In short, fantastic work.
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
Holy Merlin's pants. This fic was so dark, but completely believable. Wow. The connection between why Elladora puts House Elves heads on the wall and her childhood is wonderfully portrayed here.

Sirius' cruel treatment of Elladora was so terrible. For a three year old to go through that is absolutely heartbreaking. It does leave me wondering how Phineas and Isla didn't know about Sirius' treatment of Elladora.

The utterly horrible treatment of House Elves was terrible. And then the way that Elladora follows down her family's path of that treatment is believable for a Pureblood, even though she was treated like that as a child. It makes it seem like she was taking out her anger on the House Elves for Sirius treating her like that.

This was fantastically written. Great job!
keeptheotherone chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
I never know what to say when reviewing dark stories; the usual positive adjectives just don't seem right ;) This is well done, especially Sirius's dehumanizing of his sister, and the secrecy that surrounds the game is very ominous. You used subject commas in the beginning but missed a couple at the end (e.g. "Oh, Dozy" etc.) and right after Sirius's death, it should be "after the *death* of her brother..." That's my favorite part, by the way-the way his screams fade away (great word choice of "nothingness" to show his death without telling us) and then his death is just over, you didn't linger or over-describe. This is also very realistic of abuse in the secrecy and the way Elladora transfers her anger to the house-elves and becomes an abuser herself.
Couture Girl chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
OH MY MERLIN! Ralinde this is so awesome! Your headcanon is incredible! :D I always had in mind that Sirius I died because his blood was old but this-this death is much more dark, angsty, painful and so great in that sick way, poor Sirius dying screaming like that but well he was terribly mean to Elladora and I just loved how you interlaced this, explaining why Elladora chopped of the house elves head because she hated them so much thanks to Sirius cruel treatment on her. The explanation of Sirius' death with why Elladora chopped the elves head was splendid, I love when a writer does that, especially when they focus on the Black family and not just Sirius :D Lovely job! I really loved this :)

Much love!

C.G.
ReillyJade chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
This is the kind of fan fiction story I love: one that takes a tiny detail we already know about a character, elaborates on it, and makes it canon-compliant. This really feels like it could be the true backstory of that terrible policy Elladora set forth.

I really don't know whether to feel sorry for Elladora here or not. Initially, I'm inclined to, obviously because of the abuse she faced as a child, but then I have to wonder if she would have turned out this way anyway just because of the family she was born into. It's the age-old nature vs. nurture debate, and I think it adds a sense of mystery to this, which I really like.

Gah. Sirius I. Again, I know his behavior may not be /entirely/ his fault given the way he's brought up, but still. UGH. It makes me very upset that our beloved Marauder was most likely named after this miserable schmuck. :(

It takes a lot to make me truly angry when reading a fic, but you did, and for that I applaud you. It doesn't happen often and I really enjoy getting furious every once in a while. (Sounds a bit weird, I know, but it's a nice change of pace from fluff. XD)

There were a couple minor typos scattered throughout this, but none of them were major and were the kind of errors we all make from time to time. I really did enjoy this, despite how angry it made me, haha. Thanks so much for sharing it with us in the Showcase! :)
Forever Siriusly Sirius chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
At first, I felr so sorry for little Ella, Sirius was just...unspeakable. I love how well you conveyed his reasons for hurting her like that, and you conveyed Ellas fear so well.

Then Ella went on to be horrible to her house elves and while Imfelt bad for 3 year old ella, grown up ella was just as bad as Phin.

Great job, beautifully written :)
autumn midnights chapter 1 . 1/19/2013
Well, I've never really thought about why Elladora started putting house-elf heads on the wall, so it was interesting to see your idea of how and why she started doing that. It really shows how twisted the Black family really is - this fic is disturbing, but it seems so realistic for this family. It's really interesting how it's really just a game to Sirius I in the beginning, because it really emphasizes how the Black family didn't teach their children well, in my opinion. Spelling and grammar were good, a few mistakes like 'dead of her brother' instead of 'death of her brother', but nothing particularly major. So Sirius I died at the age of eight? I didn't know that, actually, but it's interesting. I think you characterized both Sirius and Elladora very well, and you also wrote the dark material excellently. Good job!