Reviews for Suave and Sensibility
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 43 . 1/21
I have done little else for the past four days but read this story, and it was so worth it. This is such a beautiful story.
I love the fact that Friedrich took it upon himself to look for Adda's mother, and well as the way she handled it.
The anniversary was wonderful, and really showed how much has changed, but also how little has changed. I love how Elsa in particular has remained in touch with them through the past seven years.
And a secret summer hideaway cabin, and a new baby on the way.
A truly amazing piece of writing.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 42 . 1/21
A world a war, but they all look past it, and this chapter is such a beautiful snapshot of all the happy moments in their life. Georg snapping at Stefan was great, showing the worry and concern is clearly present, and that these moments are rare.
Also loved how you didn't put too much detail on Max and Elsa, leaving their relationship open to interpretation. With them, that is a marvellous idea
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 41 . 1/21
Well I thought the reconciliation in chapter 24 was great, but this was something else entirely. I was seriously tearing up when Maria leaned over to hug Elsa.
Ah oh, I hate it when these two argue, but it was so realistic (loved it when she walked off telling him to clean up breakfast himself), and even later, when things kept interrupting them, their love and need to be with each other was so lovely
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 40 . 1/20
CLIFFHANGER! Oh my goodness!
Happy to see everything went well with Stefan. Georg contemplating the arrival of his eighth child, then seeing Adda and changing his thoughts was especially lovely.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 39 . 1/20
What an ending!
Love the huge mix of emotions in this chapter, with both joy and sadness about everything from the new home, to the baby.
Adda played a great role in this part, from finally getting to plant the flowers, to mentioning that Gretl's excited about the baby and then Maria trusting her to ring Georg. It all really shows how much she's grown with the family
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 38 . 1/20
Another wonderful installment.
Friedrich trying to get them on a boat was wonderful. Love Maria's worry about not getting onto a boat that, but making the best of it even though she's battling seasickness and pregnancy. So glad that it doesn't seem overly serious and the ending with the baby kicking was very cute.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 37 . 1/20
Really enjoyed how the actual days in question in the holiday period were not expressly mentioned and the focus was on the holiday season as a whole.
I love the thought of Maria being reminded of the Reverend Mother with Flora's hug. And Georg and Maria discussing their child was very sweet. I'm sure the baby will be a wonderful blend of them both.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 36 . 1/20
Maria is so sweet with Adda, it's such a wonderful bond. I particularly enjoyed when she saw Brigitta with a book and thought about how some things never change.
I love the idea of them going to Versaille. The fact that Maria doesn't want Georg to see her when she's sick I think shows she's come a long way, and I love how much he loves her.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 35 . 1/20
I'm so glad Adda came with them, and Liesl welcoming her into the family was very touching. Having a supportive family is what everyone needs now.
Poor Maria; but her boiling point was handled perfectly, from everyone. Though I have a feeling there may be something else at play here.
Maria reassuring Adda was also great, and Adda's main focus being the flowers is a beautiful thing being so simple
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 34 . 1/20
Starting the chapter on a train, and ending it on a train. And a phenomenal chapter it was.
You managed to mix the escape in the film with the escape in reality to create one perfect for the storyline.
Love the way the children handled the situation. Even the little ones seemed to realise it was a very serious thing. That scene with Zeller...YIKES, but I did enjoy how it played out, with Georg doing what needed to be done to get away, but no more, and even giving Rolfe some credit.
Also loved the cheeky but bittersweet scene in the bedroom.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 33 . 1/20
Beautiful.
In this story, with the Anschluss having already happened, it is perfectly reasonable that they wouldn't cut the honeymoon short. And you showed the remainder of it wonderfully; at times the harshness leaks through, but they can still find happiness in each other.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 32 . 1/20
Rather short, but so powerful. The trust everyone (not just Maria and Georg) has for everyone else is palpable.
As for historical accuracy, you've kept far closer to the actual historical timeline than the film did. And even if you hadn't, this story is wonderful that I don't mind at all.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 31 . 1/20
Honeymoon moments by the sea are always wonderful. I love how confident Maria is about how much she intends to help him support him through this, he just has to let her. I also loved how you made Georg seem helpless to the situation, but in a way that Captain von Trapp would be.
The ending at Notre Dame was superb.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 30 . 1/20
Georg's reaction to her wearing his clothes is awesome, and he is so wonderful with Maria, doing all he can to make her feel comfortable all the time. I love how welcoming his family are. I hope the talk about the possibility of children happens soon.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 29 . 1/20
Love it when Maria takes charge in these situations, and the playful nature accompanying it here made it all the more awesome.
The discussion about the Anschluss was great; particularly pointing out that Maria is Austrian too (of course we all know that, but I haven't seen her part in it being shown this way before).
And HOT HOT HOT ending