Reviews for Living Conditions
micmoc chapter 16 . 3/29/2013
I read this story in just one sitting. And it made me cry, laugh and i really felt moved by buffy ans spike's love for each other which you captured so beautifully. Thank you for sharing with us your wonderful gift of writing.
Kassy Keil chapter 16 . 1/29/2013
Ok, this-I absolutely loved! It felt very true to the series and the characters. Seriously, bravo!
Bamboo Angel chapter 16 . 1/14/2013
Aw, so sweet. I'm glad they got a happy ending, and that Joyce came around in the end...enough to let them get on with their lives, at least. I also liked the way you kept Angel and Cordy out of the way without separating them, Angel needs someone to keep him in line, and she's by far the best candidate.
Bamboo Angel chapter 14 . 1/14/2013
Those idiots! Those stupid, stubborn, irritating - grr! Why can't they see and accept the good thing they have, find a way to make it work for them without it holding them back?
Bamboo Angel chapter 12 . 1/14/2013
"He thinks we had crazy loud sex!" Buffy looked mildly offended.

"We did."

"Oh. We did, didn't we?"

I couldn't stop laughing. I think Spike may have knocked some of her brains loose.
Bamboo Angel chapter 7 . 1/13/2013
The idea of Spike going out of his way to leave the toilet seat up just to annoy Buffy still makes me laugh. Definitely something he would do - and definitely something that would drive her crazy.
Bamboo Angel chapter 3 . 1/13/2013
I'm not sure which of them I should be feeling more sorry for at this point. The presence of the other is clearly bringing up all kinds of bad memories. But whether they realize it or not, they're both behaving with a lot more animation and fire than in previous chapters. They'll drive each other crazy, but they'll bring each other back to life doing it, I think.
Neinka chapter 16 . 1/6/2013
asdkjfhakjf! That was beautiful story! I was prayingfor happy ending and I got one! Thank you so much for sharing!
Suzanne chapter 16 . 1/5/2013
First of all, the idea of putting theses two together als roommates was brilliant. As in your other stories you take the time to let those two characters develop and grow. Thank god they are not jumping into bed in the second chapter already - as much as we like to read that it would be totally implausible. They need to go through stuff and you take the time to let them. The ending is very sweet, nearly too much, but it is logical and hey, why not a happy ending as we didnt get one in the show?
redsatindoll chapter 9 . 12/18/2012
The mutual breakdown in the last chapter? Him telling her what he and Dru shared? AMAZING.

I wondered "how is it that he knows how to treat burns?" and then "well, duh, sunlight..." Your worldbuilding is - again, the word that comes to mind is amazing. A burn is such a specific injury, and FITS the situation, it's not just random "Spike plays the hero and rescues Buffy" for the cute domesticity of it. And again - their internal and external dialogues, shifting back and forth, create a complex and believable portrait of these two crazy kids.
redsatindoll chapter 8 . 12/18/2012
"intact" is one word. (Maybe messed that up? When I had an account here the formatting brought me close to tears sometimes.)
redsatindoll chapter 7 . 12/18/2012
What I love about this so far is almost to numerous to count, but I'll try:
Mostly, the fact that you're very true to canon, as I said in my last review, to the characters as we saw them on the show up to this point.

You don't go the route I've seen so often in Spuffy fics: 1) Spike as perfect lover and perfect gentleman from the outset (as he's really just misunderstood, not evil); 2) Spike as perfectly domestic househusband (also from the outset). 3) Buffy falls in love (or lust) with Spike almost immediately in the story.

Everything that's happened here is believable because your world-building is so good and thorough. This is about a new relationship forming and being built, trust being established over time from the nucleus of their initial truce, and shared misery. I love that because it's more real, it's faithful to the characters, and it's not romanticized. (that's the point of Bangel, that "true love" is an illusion, but I think that point gets missed with Buffy and Spike. I don't want them to be "Bangel".)

The way you get into Buffy's head - and Spike's - astonishes me, because I do love her so much (she's my favorite character in the 'verse.) Funny, wry, self-depricating, sad; you balance them wonderfully, it's like watching a high-wire or tightrope act. (Or juggling? I'm terrible with metaphors.)

There's so many good lines and choice moments I could quote the entire fic. The best lines, the ones that are the funniest or hurt the most, are often the internal ones, and the simplest. (Simplicity and elegance in writing is something else I love.)

i"Buffy felt shame washing over her. She wasn't a thug. She just hadn't liked being felt up."/i

I cheered when she grabbed his arm and shoved the guy against the wall - and then this line. Again with the OUCH. Wonderful.

My only nitpick - am I allowed one nitpick? - is the way the internal POV switches back and forth between Spike and Buffy. I know the way you wrote the first chapter - switching back and forth with lines in spaces separating them - is more correct but can be hard to maintain. Sometimes though when you switch quickly from one paragraph to the next, I get confused at first about whose head I'm supposed to be in. (But then we'd lose lines of internal dialogue that mirror one another, as in the conversation about her killing Angel. So, I'll live. I'd rather have an engaging story like this than a perfectly correct but boring or unbelievable one.)
redsatindoll chapter 1 . 12/17/2012
Firstly - I'm a new reader to your work, thanks to the SunnyD Memorial Awards, and congratulations on your awards this year! Confession - when I say "new reader" I didn't start reading your work until last night, after I saw you'd won. (I think trying to get through the entire list of nominees but it was more than my little brain could plow through.)

I don't know why I didn't read this sooner, especially since I love the episode Anne; I even *shameless plug* wrote meta essays about it. . */end shameless plug* (I'm more of a late-seasons gal, but that's one of the best season openers, IMO)

As a new fan (this year) of the show, I am 1) a huge fan of Buffy herself; she's my BDH, and 2) something of a canon hussy when it comes to characterization, particularly of Buffy but of all the characters. I've started this (and one of your other stories simultaneously) and am in awe of not only how well you write but of how well you achieve both points for me. Your characterization of both of them is spot-on. You don't forget that Spike is still "evil", and you don't whitewash it; you don't shy away from Buffy's closed-off hardness, but don't bash her for it.

Nor do you make Buffy Spike's end-all and be-all or forget that he and Dru were lovers for over a century. At this point in S3 this is exactly what he'd be doing, and what he did in Lover's Walk - mourning her, trying to get her back, feeling sorry for herself. As Buffy herself is.

I don't know if you've been through depression yourself btw but that doesn't matter, because you WRITE about it, from these characters perspectives, so well, in a ways that I recognize in my own life as well. (As well as the tedium and frustrations of dealing with bureaucracy, and dead-end jobs, of life just barely above the bottom rung.)

And I'm in awe of how prolific you are.
skeezixx chapter 16 . 12/2/2012
I see they're using the phone now instead of notes. I picture them progressing from paper bags, to text messages, to actually talking.

I'm glad to see that they've formed a little community and that Joyce and Giles are part of it. It was comforting to see them in the old roles of movie, dinner, etc.

So glad I read this story! Loved every word! ;)
skeezixx chapter 15 . 12/2/2012
The return of the notes here is so perfect!

Great image of Buffy in her pj's eating popcorn and watching Babe. So glad that she finally realized that she misses Spike and that he made her happy. Obviously she needed to return to her "real" life before she could know this, but it must make it a difficult realization to have now. ;(

"still a nice black sedan model with illegally dark windows (he found he had quite a soft spot for the cartels these days)" LOL! Also hilarious when Spike announces to the bar that it wasn't Buffy that died and offered to by everyone drinks!

I could totally picture the expression on that mailman's face when he heard Buffy's remark about the exacto knife!

OMG, I LOVE the note that Spike left Buffy. I like that he mentioned his heart wasn't in it and then went on to describe how their old life was there waiting for them if they wanted it back.

Even though I knew that this would be a Spuffy ending I still have the biggest smile on my face right now because of how you wrote their reunion. ;)
353 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »