Reviews for Living Conditions
Bamboo Angel chapter 14 . 1/14/2013
Those idiots! Those stupid, stubborn, irritating - grr! Why can't they see and accept the good thing they have, find a way to make it work for them without it holding them back?
Bamboo Angel chapter 12 . 1/14/2013
"He thinks we had crazy loud sex!" Buffy looked mildly offended.

"We did."

"Oh. We did, didn't we?"

I couldn't stop laughing. I think Spike may have knocked some of her brains loose.
Bamboo Angel chapter 7 . 1/13/2013
The idea of Spike going out of his way to leave the toilet seat up just to annoy Buffy still makes me laugh. Definitely something he would do - and definitely something that would drive her crazy.
Bamboo Angel chapter 3 . 1/13/2013
I'm not sure which of them I should be feeling more sorry for at this point. The presence of the other is clearly bringing up all kinds of bad memories. But whether they realize it or not, they're both behaving with a lot more animation and fire than in previous chapters. They'll drive each other crazy, but they'll bring each other back to life doing it, I think.
Neinka chapter 16 . 1/6/2013
asdkjfhakjf! That was beautiful story! I was prayingfor happy ending and I got one! Thank you so much for sharing!
Suzanne chapter 16 . 1/5/2013
First of all, the idea of putting theses two together als roommates was brilliant. As in your other stories you take the time to let those two characters develop and grow. Thank god they are not jumping into bed in the second chapter already - as much as we like to read that it would be totally implausible. They need to go through stuff and you take the time to let them. The ending is very sweet, nearly too much, but it is logical and hey, why not a happy ending as we didnt get one in the show?
redsatindoll chapter 9 . 12/18/2012
The mutual breakdown in the last chapter? Him telling her what he and Dru shared? AMAZING.

I wondered "how is it that he knows how to treat burns?" and then "well, duh, sunlight..." Your worldbuilding is - again, the word that comes to mind is amazing. A burn is such a specific injury, and FITS the situation, it's not just random "Spike plays the hero and rescues Buffy" for the cute domesticity of it. And again - their internal and external dialogues, shifting back and forth, create a complex and believable portrait of these two crazy kids.
redsatindoll chapter 8 . 12/18/2012
"intact" is one word. (Maybe messed that up? When I had an account here the formatting brought me close to tears sometimes.)
redsatindoll chapter 7 . 12/18/2012
What I love about this so far is almost to numerous to count, but I'll try:
Mostly, the fact that you're very true to canon, as I said in my last review, to the characters as we saw them on the show up to this point.

You don't go the route I've seen so often in Spuffy fics: 1) Spike as perfect lover and perfect gentleman from the outset (as he's really just misunderstood, not evil); 2) Spike as perfectly domestic househusband (also from the outset). 3) Buffy falls in love (or lust) with Spike almost immediately in the story.

Everything that's happened here is believable because your world-building is so good and thorough. This is about a new relationship forming and being built, trust being established over time from the nucleus of their initial truce, and shared misery. I love that because it's more real, it's faithful to the characters, and it's not romanticized. (that's the point of Bangel, that "true love" is an illusion, but I think that point gets missed with Buffy and Spike. I don't want them to be "Bangel".)

The way you get into Buffy's head - and Spike's - astonishes me, because I do love her so much (she's my favorite character in the 'verse.) Funny, wry, self-depricating, sad; you balance them wonderfully, it's like watching a high-wire or tightrope act. (Or juggling? I'm terrible with metaphors.)

There's so many good lines and choice moments I could quote the entire fic. The best lines, the ones that are the funniest or hurt the most, are often the internal ones, and the simplest. (Simplicity and elegance in writing is something else I love.)

i"Buffy felt shame washing over her. She wasn't a thug. She just hadn't liked being felt up."/i

I cheered when she grabbed his arm and shoved the guy against the wall - and then this line. Again with the OUCH. Wonderful.

My only nitpick - am I allowed one nitpick? - is the way the internal POV switches back and forth between Spike and Buffy. I know the way you wrote the first chapter - switching back and forth with lines in spaces separating them - is more correct but can be hard to maintain. Sometimes though when you switch quickly from one paragraph to the next, I get confused at first about whose head I'm supposed to be in. (But then we'd lose lines of internal dialogue that mirror one another, as in the conversation about her killing Angel. So, I'll live. I'd rather have an engaging story like this than a perfectly correct but boring or unbelievable one.)
redsatindoll chapter 1 . 12/17/2012
Firstly - I'm a new reader to your work, thanks to the SunnyD Memorial Awards, and congratulations on your awards this year! Confession - when I say "new reader" I didn't start reading your work until last night, after I saw you'd won. (I think trying to get through the entire list of nominees but it was more than my little brain could plow through.)

I don't know why I didn't read this sooner, especially since I love the episode Anne; I even *shameless plug* wrote meta essays about it. . */end shameless plug* (I'm more of a late-seasons gal, but that's one of the best season openers, IMO)

As a new fan (this year) of the show, I am 1) a huge fan of Buffy herself; she's my BDH, and 2) something of a canon hussy when it comes to characterization, particularly of Buffy but of all the characters. I've started this (and one of your other stories simultaneously) and am in awe of not only how well you write but of how well you achieve both points for me. Your characterization of both of them is spot-on. You don't forget that Spike is still "evil", and you don't whitewash it; you don't shy away from Buffy's closed-off hardness, but don't bash her for it.

Nor do you make Buffy Spike's end-all and be-all or forget that he and Dru were lovers for over a century. At this point in S3 this is exactly what he'd be doing, and what he did in Lover's Walk - mourning her, trying to get her back, feeling sorry for herself. As Buffy herself is.

I don't know if you've been through depression yourself btw but that doesn't matter, because you WRITE about it, from these characters perspectives, so well, in a ways that I recognize in my own life as well. (As well as the tedium and frustrations of dealing with bureaucracy, and dead-end jobs, of life just barely above the bottom rung.)

And I'm in awe of how prolific you are.
skeezixx chapter 16 . 12/2/2012
I see they're using the phone now instead of notes. I picture them progressing from paper bags, to text messages, to actually talking.

I'm glad to see that they've formed a little community and that Joyce and Giles are part of it. It was comforting to see them in the old roles of movie, dinner, etc.

So glad I read this story! Loved every word! ;)
skeezixx chapter 15 . 12/2/2012
The return of the notes here is so perfect!

Great image of Buffy in her pj's eating popcorn and watching Babe. So glad that she finally realized that she misses Spike and that he made her happy. Obviously she needed to return to her "real" life before she could know this, but it must make it a difficult realization to have now. ;(

"still a nice black sedan model with illegally dark windows (he found he had quite a soft spot for the cartels these days)" LOL! Also hilarious when Spike announces to the bar that it wasn't Buffy that died and offered to by everyone drinks!

I could totally picture the expression on that mailman's face when he heard Buffy's remark about the exacto knife!

OMG, I LOVE the note that Spike left Buffy. I like that he mentioned his heart wasn't in it and then went on to describe how their old life was there waiting for them if they wanted it back.

Even though I knew that this would be a Spuffy ending I still have the biggest smile on my face right now because of how you wrote their reunion. ;)
skeezixx chapter 14 . 12/2/2012
I really love the first section of this chapter and how you describe the thoughts they are both having about moving on or not.

This, and the sexual tension that came after it was incredibly sexy: "Iron fingers tightened on her wrist. "Don't." A single word, like silk, but dangerous, right against her ear."

Their discussion about going their separate ways was really sad, but I can understand the need to do it. Otherwise they'll always be wondering what could have been. Spike needs to try one last time with Dru, and Buffy needs to put herself back together.

I like the image this line paints: Funny how neither one of them thought it was strange to be slow dancing in the small, sparsely furnished living room during that discussion.

Sorry to be quoting another line, but this one is so great I can't resist!: Fate screamed as loud as it could, stamped its intangible feet, railed its insubstantial fists, and finally crashed its head into the glass ceiling of the blindness of two beings in front of them.

You had me totally crying during the last part of this chapter. I always have a hard time with change and goodbyes, so the image of them giving the apt one last look, walking down the steps, returning their keys, and kissing one last time was beautifully written and so sad to read. Especially as Buffy made him promise never to see her again (although of course we know how well that seems to work out!)
skeezixx chapter 13 . 12/2/2012
I can't believe it's been a week since I last had time to read this story. In the middle of a major life change right now and haven't had as much time to read as I'd like.

Awww, Spike woke her up for work and called her "baby"!

Note about not painting without him was too cute!
"You wanted to help paint. I have written proof this time." LOL!

Like how you threw in how "Anne" is different at work now and I am so glad that Spike is still out robbing people and hasn't changed his violent ways just because of what happened between them the night before. Felt bad for Buffy that Spike came in with $1000 when she was excited about a $5 tip! I can completely understand where she's coming from though, as I've waitressed myself.

My favorite part of this chapter is seeing how they've fallen into a comfortable routine, asking about each other's day, watching movies, eating wings, shopping laundry, how she undresses in front of him without even thinking about it. Even the fact that they make love some nights and not others, paints a certain comforting picture.

Another favorite part is when Buffy said she didn't have a choice in what they did to save the world and Spike turned it into a "we didn't". It's touching to have the reminder that they're both in this together because of the decision they made to work together.

I wasn't expecting Spike to have those thoughts about love and how he wasn't feeling them for Buffy. I'm glad he did though as I like that things are happening easily for them.
Guest chapter 16 . 11/30/2012
I haven't left a reveiw in years but I just have to now. I loved this and look forward to find other works by you.
The dialog was spot on; Joss would be proud. Nice pace, I hate that it had to end but you ended it well. Great job!
now off to find more.