Reviews for The Maid and Her Marshall
vanarian chapter 5 . 1/26
AHH real life! RUN! :P I hope your family's all ok now.

This was a nice chunk of story - a conversation with Eileen, a first day of teaching, meeting Sir Bedivere, and a little bit of anticipation. How bad COULD meeting the Palace tailor be? I thought it flowed pretty well, and even though the teaching part was pretty short- especially with the build-up- it seemed appropriate to the story, considering how little a time she actually has with them every day. You captured the sense of time nicely, and it was a good chapter length to get into the story again without being cut off much too soon or having to take a lot of time to read it. Well done!

I like Goody Miranda. I also appreciate that you captured some of the challenges with scholarly people teaching for the first time. A lot of stories that have teacher characters tend to pidgeon-hole the teachers - either they're wonderful, and know everything, and can teach anything to anyone, or they're terrible, and evil, and out to get you. Or smart teaching go together, and unintelligent incompetent go together. Speaking as a university student studying to teach high school, I can say that it's one thing to know something, and another thing entirely to be able to teach it. That was a bit of a rant for just your couple lines of it, sorry, but I really did like that you threw that in.

It makes Dinah more human as well. I think she's turning out to be a well-rounded character. Intelligent, nobility, reasonable, motivated - but also sometimes clumsy, inexperienced with court life and with teaching, sometimes insecure, and questioning her path in life.

I loved the conversation with Eileen, and I also enjoy Dinah's 'outsider' look on Camelot. Another thing I've seen happen, especially in fanfiction, is that only characters in the canon ever show up, meaning even in character-centric pieces, the supporting cast is just... missing. And stories with a large setting- Camelot, Hogwarts, some other big city/community- never have that depth and largeness because you only see a very small cast of characters. But Dinah is constantly surprised by people coming and going that she's never seen in her life, and Camelot as the main city - a center of politics and trade with Rome and other soverign states, not just England - is quite large and busy, with dipomats and traders and messengers and knights and squires etc. all coming and going. You've done a good job of it on a small scale so far - Sophie's sisters and the children running around doing errands - but I think you could tap into this even more as Dinah, from a castle with retainers she's probably known all her life, may be facing a little more culture shock than she's letting on.

It would be interesting as well to see what would happen should Dinah become clan chief versus should she not. Is this steward a good option? Or will this end up a case of 'I don't want it, but I don't trust anyone else not to abuse the power'. I'm very curious to see where that goes. I think seeing Dinah grow into being a clan chief would be fantastic- particularly as it's a case of 'women can inherit' that might tip court life in Camelot a little on its head- but it could be fun to see her grow away from that role and defy social constraints as well.

Thanks for another update! I'm looking forward to seeing where this is headed :)

vanarian chapter 4 . 12/29/2015
Yay! Virtual cookies for you. I really liked your line regarding the mathematical improbability of Squire Terence. It's been a while since I read the books, but I believe Terence is a decent archer as well?

I do like Safir's character so far. He seems to fit pretty well with Morris' typical casts of characters- a little different from the fairy tale myths of Camelot, and a little more of a real person than a set of legendary mythical knights tend to seem. Dinah's character is nicely in line with the 'women are not helpless twits, despite what most court ladies would have you believe' spin of Morris' tales as well.

Eileen's saving the day! And embarrassed Terence :) I also liked your inclusion of Geoffrey last chapter and this one.

Looking forward to your next chapter!

Fantasy Boudicca chapter 4 . 12/29/2015
Is Dinah left-handed? Because I'm an amateur archer myself, and I hold my bow with my weaker hand - my left - which means it's my left arm that needs an armguard and not my right.
Kudos for the bed sharing thing. It wasn't just commonplace, it was practical, because a fire throughout the night wasn't practical or safe and it was cold. If I'm not wrong even unmarried noblewomen shared their beds with their sisters, cousins, or if applicable, maids or ladies.
Also, frankly, back in those days an age gap that large was completely normal. Arthur himself reached adulthood, went off conquering kingdoms, a process which would likely take years, then came back to Camelot and sat on his ass for a bit until he decided to marry the still unwed Guinevere. At best, he's in his late twenties and she's in her early twenties. Most likely, he's somewhere in his early thirties, she's in her late teens.
mary lou chapter 3 . 12/20/2015
thank you!
vanarian chapter 3 . 12/19/2015
Ooh! I spy an update! :)

Wonderful chapter. Nice job throwing in the connection - Safir and Palomides. While I know this story is focused on Dinah, I hope we'll see more Terence? Please? I'll bake you virtual cookies :)

Update again soon!

Fantasy Boudicca chapter 3 . 12/19/2015
Still here. What, the pairing's Dinadan/Dinah?
Guest chapter 2 . 12/15/2015
This is good. i want to hear more
mary lou chapter 2 . 10/24/2015
Are you ever going to finish this? Because I've got to find out what happens!
Fantasy Boudicca chapter 2 . 6/4/2013
Please continue the story! I would love to see how this turns out!
Djinnk chapter 2 . 10/12/2012
Your characters are very likable. Keep writing :D
lil silver fish chapter 2 . 10/2/2012
Interesting so far. I'm curious to see where all of this goes.
Feste the Fool chapter 2 . 8/1/2012
Love the reappearance of Sophie. Enjoying so far. Keep up the good work!
Feste the Fool chapter 1 . 7/23/2012
Looking forward to seeing where this goes!