Reviews for The Wizard from Earth
Joe Lawyer chapter 9 . 12/4/2012
It’s a very interesting story and very ambitious in scope. You even acknowledged the problems a modern wizard like Harry would have in going back to a far more barbaric time. There was certainly an evolution in his willingness to adapt and to kill and a recognition that his 20th century ideals would do far more harm than good for a culture that wasn’t prepared for it. Unfortunately while there was a lot of talk about Harry being willing to kill and recognizing his errors, it’s mostly talk. This last fight with the rebel leader shows how much of a difference there was between his thoughts and the reality. There’s a disconnect there that feels artificial, like an issue with the writing, rather than just more of Harry’s old world ideals coming out in the plot. Like you’re saying Harry is one way, has come to many startling insights and realizations, yet you’re writing his actions and words contrary to what you described.

I’m also finding it hard to believe Harry according to my reading of the text of the story, or lack of anything to say otherwise, is a 30 year old virgin still. I really don’t understand that. I’m not asking for lemons, but if he is a normal 30 year old man in a position of power and wealth and influence….even natural desires would have seen something happen by now. Unless you’re trying to set up some kind of psychological sexual dysfunction where he still blushes and is embarrassed by sexuality or acts like a shy teenager. I’m not trying to offend here, it just seems really, really strange.

Overall it’s a really interesting story. Harry is just so underwhelming though in intelligence and willingness to adapt to this foreign culture and his starting point is so low that it’s hard to take at times. I know he’s got a ridiculous amount of time to improve, but you’re holding so true to canon Harry’s intelligence and magical knowledge that it’s limiting. What is it over a decade after arriving here and he still can’t read the writing? I’m kind of hoping you pull a rabbit out of your hat have Harry invent the mind arts or a ritual to improve his intelligence to make things better.

Lol, again I like the story. And I’m really curious to see where this is leading.
Ravus chapter 9 . 12/4/2012
I don't think this is obnoxiously long. I think its a perfect filler chapter, wrapping up lots of loose ends as you near the end of the Egyptian saga. Or, at the very least, nearing the end of the Mortal delusion.

I'm still checking your author page every so often for updates to many of your stories. But this one I think is my personal favourite, it is everything I loved about the Man of Earth with even more magic and wonder.
Guest chapter 9 . 12/4/2012
Harry's immortality is starting to show.
N a b s t e R chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
i have read a fic similar to this where harry goes back to the stone age and from there his life as merlin and so on... till his birth. i kept looking for that fic for a long time but never found it. glad to see someone is continuing a fic in that similar track.
Joe Lawyer chapter 8 . 12/4/2012
So much talking and chit chat during a battle with hardened killers. Harry acknowledges that he needs to kill these fools, yet keeps warning them and telling them to stop. I know he’s still new to this whole way of thinking, but good lord, if his female friend getting knocked around and beaten and whatever else can’t make him overcome his weak heartedness in this far harsher world, what will? This is hard time he’s living in. Far harder than you’re writing. Those pyramids that will eventually be built were built by hundreds of thousands of slaves, most of whom were worked to death in the process. That’s the kind of culture Egypt had and that was in the far more prosperous future. What do you think the Egypt he’s currently in would realistically be like?
Joe Lawyer chapter 7 . 12/4/2012
Thunderbirds…now that is an interesting addition to the story. A very rarely seen magical creature in HP fanfiction. I was kind of hoping for Harry to find a familiar in one of these magical creatures, but giving up a feather is no mean feat. I’m looking forward to Harry the wand crafter. Maybe Harry the animagus. It’s just so painful to be continually assaulted with how little Harry actually knows about magic. I suppose it’s a good thing he’s got the next 5,000 years to learn.

The Stargate inspired omake at the end was funny.
george17 chapter 9 . 12/4/2012
Wow, it's going to be interesting to see what you come up with to show why Harry was not yet able to accept what was going on. I know if I were thrown back into ancient Egypt I'd probably be pretty open to believing anything! You must be setting up for something big and not something relatively mundane such as Harry will live thousands of years.
Joe Lawyer chapter 5 . 12/3/2012
If Harry is having problems with magic now, just wait and see how difficult it is when he breaks the only wand his has in his possession. Stuff happens. A fall, an attack, a theft, any number of things could separate his wand from him. Then he’s really screwed! I have never understood the idea of carrying only one wand when it’s the primary tool of a wizard. If I were him I’d borrow a few of those Phoenix feathers his companion has or something off that runespoor and start experimenting with wand crafting. Now would be preferable because he can use his existing wand to fashion wood blanks and use his magic for the fine crafting that requires tools and skills not even invented or conceived of yet. His lack of planning and caution is rather appalling actually. He acknowledges how dangerous being without his wand would be, yet isn’t doing anything to alleviate the danger.

I’m a little disappointed with the lack of culture shock Harry has shown so far. It’s rather hard to conceive of the culture of 5,000 years ago and we’ve seen flashes of culture shock here and there, but nowhere near enough for the incredible breadth of time we’re talking about. And what’s the deal with Harry acting like a celibate priest/monk? He’s been here two years now and he’s what, in his early 20’s? Why on Earth hasn’t he been enjoying the women of this time? Is it Ginny holding him back? When he didn’t even have a formal relationship with her and she’s 5k years in the future? Yeah…that is rather hard to swallow. I’m positive the morals of sexuality would be amazingly divergent from what we’re used to. Surely he knows some contraception magic. As it is, even after a few years now he’s not adapting all that well. Ethnocentric seems to be the best way to describe him. Being somewhat progressive is all right, but he needs to actually assimilate. Lol, ah well.

Different is good. Cultural differences can be really, really interesting. This is the perfect opportunity to showcase some.
Teufel1987 chapter 9 . 12/3/2012
Wow, this is going to be a beast of a story!

You not only have to cover 3Ky, but then a further 2Ky to get to the present!

Keep up the good work, I look forward to more!
Joe Lawyer chapter 4 . 12/3/2012
Slightly weird chapter. I really don’t get why Harry was so worked up by these primitive muggles. Yes, there are a lot of them, but he is a powerful wizard and warrior in his own right. What’s the use of crude spears when he can apparate, or send curses from great distances, or separate heads from shoulders with a word. I don’t think they even have the metal working knowledge to create swords yet. I know that even wild animals can be dangerous, but the level of fear and helplessness as it was described was a little much given his abilities.

Apparition is wandless. What is the deal with it sporadically appearing in various stories as something you require a wand for? I know it serves a purpose in this limited situation, so that he can’t escape from his little test, but I find such self-serving changes of fundamental aspects of HP lore to be self-defeating in the long-run.

“He'd used a time-turner, travelled back to the past and changed things; or so he thought. If this was the same, then everything he remembered would be the same, no matter what he did here. In fact, because of what he did here. He'd always been part of history, and that meant he'd always been destined to end up in the past, walking next to the Pharaoh of Egypt, shaping the future. Would his attempts to recreate the Portkey, crude as they were, be the origin of the spell in the future?” - I had to laugh when he thought this. It only took him two years to figure out this fundamental truth! I know canon Harry was next to retarded, but I think this is a bit much.

You’ve still got my attention.
Urfan chapter 9 . 12/3/2012
I don't think this was obnoxiously long at all. In fact, I'd love to see more like it. I think it hits it about right and resolved some of the issues from the past chapter, addressed plot development, and seeded new developments.
McGeezel chapter 9 . 12/3/2012
Harry the battle Mage. Enjoyed this one. Love it when the old man shows up and lays cryptic knowledge on Harry. The battles were pretty awesome. It's interesting seeing Harry teach other wizards. I'm excited to see how his teaching and knowledge of magic and understanding develop as we progress through the ages. YAY! Thanks for the update
exaigon chapter 9 . 12/3/2012
I can't wait for the next chapter!
Death in a Pink Boa chapter 9 . 12/3/2012
This chapter was not obnoxiously long. I am looking forward to the next one.
aznblackhowling chapter 9 . 12/3/2012
Great update. I do wonder if your idea for Harry not to have children has to do with the bloodline. I am assuming the current people with magic is still wild or evolving. That his blood that is more established over the years will interfere with the current timeline. Similar to how certain animals were domesticated to excel for certain functions.

I look forward to the next update.
823 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »