Reviews for The Buried Life
Mierke chapter 16 . 5/26/2010
I loved the dinner exchange; very light, but with some very subtle hints at things much more darker going on. Gregor not being able to keep his hands off Hermione was a lot of fun to see, even though Hermione probably didn’t feel that way. I think she performed admirably, though!

Chapter 12 (Dead ends)

"Fine, Professor. I hardly consider it a punishment to be deprived of your conversation when you're like this." To prove her point, she picked up a copy of the Prophet that had been left on the table behind her and opened it up so that her view of him was completely blocked. He ordered his breakfast and sipped at his coffee while he waited for his sluggish mind to catch up to his body.

Finally, it did. "Have you met Potter's relatives before?"

Hermione lowered her paper. "Am I allowed to talk now?"

Go Hermione! *giggle*

I love Hermione standing up for Harry, even though the Dursleys won’t remember it. She really is quite impressive in her fury – no doubt a quality that immensely attracts Snape, no matter how Gryffindor she is.

The last part of this chapter certainly makes me glad that the story is finished already!

Chapter 13 (The Arnold Street House)

Harry had no idea who was behind him when he wheeled around with his wand outstretched. He only knew that whoever had thought that he couldn't resist the Imperius curse had made a serious error in judgment.

"Crucio."

The word left his mouth before his brain even knew it was formed, and he watched Peter Pettigrew fall to the ground, writhing and shrieking in pain.

The fact that he so easily resorts to the Unforgivables really worries me. There is no doubt in my mind that every time one uses the unforgivables it’s easier to go over to the dark side completely.

He had followed the commands thinking they might lead him to whoever had killed Sirius. He didn't know if Wormtail had been involved in that, but even if he hadn't, he deserved the torturous pain. Harry exulted in the power he held over the pathetic fool. He thought, on the whole, that he would be content to stand on that street forever, soaking in the sight of Pettigrew's suffering.

The fact that he’s even relishing in bringing pain upon Peter, that he’s almost drowning in the feeling of power, makes it even worse. Enjoying the suffering he’s causing is the crucial aspect that proves that he’s already on the dark side already.

Hermione is dealing with all these incredibly well. She’s a very strong girl, and while working through everything that is thrown upon her can’t be easy, she does it anyway.

Chapter 14 (The potion)

"It would act in much the same manner as a Dementor," he said with a sigh. "Only it does a Dementor one better. A Dementor feeds on happy thoughts; given in its full dosage, this potion would eliminate happy memories and begin eroding the conscience. Since I never completed work on it, I don't know to what extent that would occur, but my theory was that this potion would be a way to create new Death Eaters, even of men who never would have considered serving Voldemort otherwise."

That is extremely creepy. And I suppose exactly the potion the Death Eaters are looking for, now they have lost the persuasiveness of their leader. Especially in trying to get Harry on their side.

"Er, do you know what time you'll be there?" she asked. "I'm not sure I want to face the Headmaster alone."

"Tut tut, Miss Granger, where's that famous Gryffindor courage?" he derided.

"Misplaced, at the moment," she answered crisply. "So what time do you think you'll be there? I'll time my arrival for just after yours."

"Most of your teachers spend their lives arse over elbow," he said snidely. "It's absurd to think students can defend themselves against something they know nothing about. You are certainly intelligent enough to read this material without being damaged by it. If you weren't, I wouldn't have considered having you along."

Well, that was a surprising compliment, she thought, even if it had been delivered in that annoyingly Snape-ish tone and juxtaposed with an insult to her teachers, many of whom she adored. She knew better by now than to thank him or even to comment. "I'll get started on the book while I'm waiting on you."

"Good. We'll meet with Dumbledore when I arrive, and then, assuming he doesn't send you home, you can help me in the laboratory this evening." He gave her a stern look. "Under no circumstances are you to touch the things we removed from that house before I get there. Understand?"

"Of course, Professor. I can't imagine why you feel the need to praise my intelligence one minute and then insult it the next."

He snorted. "It keeps my world in balance, Miss Granger."

Definitely one of my favourite parts of this fic. I love how they can be so at ease at each other, teasing each other and laughing together while keeping an eye on what’s important. Snape doesn’t stop being Snape here; he just has a worthy opponent, and that’s something he really values. I love how his playfulness emerges when he’s around Hermione.

Chapter 15 (Back to Hogwarts)

He reached for his wand and lit a small flame under the cauldron, and she was pleased to note that his movements were smoother. Apparently threatening her was a calming experience.

That doesn’t surprise me one bit! I love how he’s appreciating what she does for him, and admiring her intelligence. I had a minute of doubt when Dumbledore announced that if Snape had enough of her, he would send her home – I think it says a lot that Snape wanted her to stay.

But restlessly coexisting with the unease was the vague thrill of finally working with a student worthy of his attentions. As they went over her notes, turned pages in various books, and discussed the properties of arcane ingredients, he was reminded of his own apprenticeship, of the pleasure that had come with being in the presence of one who shared his interests and understood his motivations. He had spent years isolated from that kind of contact, and he couldn't deny that it was…refreshing. Had there been more Miss Grangers in his classroom, he might not have hated teaching quite so much.

This is a great insight into Snape’s mind. I love how he’s connecting with Hermione over something that he really loves, how he’s surprised by how great it feels to share a passion again after all these years. He’s even willing to step out of his comfort zone, let her into his soul a little bit by talking about something he loves so much, and that in front of an (admittedly very mature) seventeen year old girl.

Hermione reached for the coffeepot and poured a cup of coffee, adding milk as she'd seen him do the previous two days, and then handing it to him.

That’s such a nice touch. I love how observing she is, how she uses her time to study her mentor. It’s so sweet of her (and so Hermione-like) to use it to his advantage, instead of to her own; to use it to show him how much she respects him and to take a little care of him in such small ways.

Chapter 16 (The cottage)

Dumbledore’s cottage was amazing. I can totally picture Dumbledore there, enjoying each and every one of his enchantments and chuckling to himself when he encounters one he had forgotten. Poor, poor Snape though – it is the exact opposite of his own quarters and he must be going out of his mind there.

Snape exhaled as the last of the pain left him. "I am once again happy about the fact that you are an insufferable know-it-all, Miss Granger. I would not have wanted the fate of my leg to rest in the hands of most of your classmates."

"A simple 'thank-you' will suffice, Professor," she answered coldly, his sarcastic drawl landing like a splash of acid on her frayed nerves. She began gathering up the bloody towels without looking at him.

He wrapped long fingers around her wrist, staying her hand. "Thank you."

That was an incredibly sweet moment. Lovely, really. Not saccharine-sweet, but very beautiful-sweet.
Mierke chapter 10 . 5/26/2010
Prologue

I started reading your story because it was recced on epic_recs on livejournal. Your prologue was heartbreaking, but you did a brilliant way of getting us into your story, and telling us everything that went differently here than in the books. I think your Harry is spot-on; he's sad, but loyal, always giving more credit to his friends than to himself. I loved the scene where he's watching the pattern in the ceiling of the hospital wing, where you're subtly telling us that Ron has died, without feeling the need to explore it endlessly. This was my favourite part:

Hmmm. That middle one probably means that Snape is going to give me a detention for not turning in my Potions assignment this morning. I can hear it now: "And I suppose you think saving the world excuses you from your responsibilities as a student at this school, don't you Mr. Potter? Well, the rest of the wizarding population may be impressed with you, but I can assure you that I do not share in their adoration. Twenty points from Gryffindor, and you'll be spending tonight with Mr. Filch."

Chapter 2 (Hogsmeade in the morning)

I like that you've used a magic mirror in your story. I love those things! And he sounds perfect too.

"Forgive me if I don't take the time to give a bloody damn," Snape snapped. "He's seventeen years old, still a student, and we're trying to save his miserable hide. He'll do as he's told."

That definitely sounds like Snape. There is no way he will ever acknowledge that there might be some care or real feelings behind his actions.

Chapter 3 (Hogwarts in the afternoon)

"The library is open should you wish to work on some of your summer assignments," Professor McGonagall said crisply.

"Oh joy," Harry snapped, and he instantly regretted it.

She glared at him over her glasses and immediately reduced him to feeling like a first-year. "I suggest you watch your tone, Mr Potter, unless you'd like to spend your summer break assisting Mr Filch with his duties."

I love your character interactions. Harry who can't hold his tongue and gets himself in trouble for being too brass; McGonagall being strict, but not unreasonable.

"Her room is ready," McGonagall said. "I only said that to Harry because I…I thought I should have Ron Weasley's bed moved out of his room before he went up there." Her face twisted in a brief spasm of grief, but Snape merely nodded.

McGonagall always had that strange mix of strict and above-her-students, but still really caring for them. It's what always made me love her and I'm glad to see that in this story she's got that same mix.

The sobs tore through his body and echoed in the hollow room as he mourned the missing bed and the loyal friendship of the boy who had slept there. The sixth brother, Ron had always fought to stand out in the crowd, to accomplish something significant on his own. He had wanted to matter most to someone - and he had.

He had mattered most to Harry Potter.

That part made me cry.

Chapter 4 (Hermione)

"I've cried off and on all summer," she admitted. "I never know what will set me off. Mum and Dad have been on tiptoes."

"D'you think it ever gets better?"

She shrugged. "I'm still waiting."

I love how they're sharing their grief; how Hermione is just as lost as Harry is. It's a hard time to go through for both of them.

Hermione was second only to Madam Pince when it came to sheer time spent in the library, and she knew the place with the intimacy of a lover.

I love that image, it’s beautiful. And it says so much about who Hermione is.

I always love it when Animagus transformation is used. It’s such a fascinating brand of magic, and I’m curious to see what animal you think Harry would be!

Chapter 5 (Don’t look now, but there’s a girl in your bed)

"How very disappointing," Snape murmured.

"What?"

"I was so looking forward to seeing Professor McGonagall's face when you went down in your underwear."

That made me giggle!

"Honestly?" she said. "My first thought was that they are very complicated, and my second thought was, 'Poor Neville.'"

He looked at her sharply then, and she could have sworn she saw his lips twitch. "Indeed," he said. "Astute observations both, if not precisely the answer I was looking for."

Brilliant. I love Hermione, and here she’s just the right combination of sassy and respectful.

"Just right at first," Harry said. "Mr Weasley came to Hogsmeade right after I went to live with Sirius. We talked a bit and I told him what had happened. He said over and over that they didn't blame me at all, but…"

Harry has always been taking too much of the blame. He will be crushed by his feelings of guilt, if he doesn’t realize soon that it was not his fault what happened to Ron.

Chapter 6 (The Godfather)

This chapter really made me cry. Seeing Harry see Sirius die without being able to do anything about it, it broke my heart.

I’m intrigued by the fact that he would ask Snape to be his godfather. I can’t see any of them really be happy about it, but maybe things will change a little bit over time.

Chapter 7 (Catching the floo)

The others would be leaving the infirmary soon if they hadn't already, and he had to leave the castle before they saw him. He considered taking the hidden passageway to Honeydukes, but since it was still dark outside, he decided to risk one last ride on his Firebolt. It would be much faster, anyway.

Poor Harry, intent on leaving again because he things he’s only getting the people around him in trouble. It hurts to see him going through life like this. To see him so convinced that he’s only bringing people in danger, without realizing how much he means to those people and how lost they’d be without him. Some people would certainly call him stupid and selfish (Snape comes to mind), but I don’t think he is that at all; I think he’s scared and lost, afraid that he will hurt the very persons he loves the most.

I love that Hermione is going after him. I don’t think she would have thought of doing that before Ron died, but there is no way that Ron’s death didn’t change her. I can see why she’d be desperate to hold on to the only friend she has left.

Chapter 8 (The partner, er, assistant)

"Miss Granger, I assure you that had I known how much trouble you and your friends would cause me, I would have resigned my position at Hogwarts the day you were sorted."

"Professor, had we known how much trouble you would cause us, we would have been delighted to help you pack," she answered icily.

Hermione certainly has changed; Ron’s death has made her see the more important things perhaps, or just really threw her off. I can’t imagine what she’s going through right now, with Harry gone.

"First, I am in charge. You are to do what I say, when I say, without asking the endless and annoying questions for which you are so famous. In return, I shall make a genuine attempt to keep you apprised of what we are doing, and why. In short, I will trust you, Miss Granger. I will trust you to act intelligently and to respect the fact that I have more experience at subterfuge than you have."

That actually sounds like a decent offer. Snape really must think high of Hermione if he’s considering taking such a liability with him on his journey.

"What fun," he drawled. "Perhaps afterwards we can discuss makeup and exchange beauty secrets."

She giggled and then clapped a hand to her mouth when she saw his scornful expression. "I'm sorry, Professor," she said. "It's just that I don't expect you to have a sense of humour."

He gave her a look that could have stripped the plaster from the walls. "I have no tolerance for schoolgirl giggles, Miss Granger."

"Then perhaps you shouldn't make jokes," she answered evenly. "For a brief moment, I actually found you funny. I doubt very much that it will be a regular occurrence."

I love their exchanges! I love how Hermione doesn’t budge under Snape’s snide remarks, and how Snape actually seems to like that. It’s probably very unusual for him to meet someone who actually meets him on his own turf, who doesn’t let herself be bullied but just replies. It’s wonderful!

Hermione is incredibly brave. I respect her enormously for being willing to go to a dinner party with Death Eaters. There are so many things that could happen to her there, and none of them will be pleasant. But Hermione has always been incredibly loyal. I just hope things will be okay.

Chapter 9 (His makeover)

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again. Poor Harry. He’s lost everything he has, and now believes he can’t even live with his friends anymore. He’s living a lie, and even though he’s making the choice to do that, he thinks there is no other option and there is no way he would have done this voluntarily. Adjusting to normal human life won’t be easy, not at all.

Chapter 10 (Her makeover)

"Black said the same thing," Snape said, looking down at his hands. "And I agreed with him at the time, but then, last night, when Black died…we both heard the threats Potter made." He looked up and met Hermione's eyes, and he was utterly serious, without a hint of sarcasm or a trace of his usual sneer. "He meant those threats. He has proven that given the right provocation, he has the potential for Dark Magic. It may be because of the transfer of powers that took place when he got his scar. We know that's where he got the ability to speak Parseltongue, anyway. Or it's more likely that he's always had it. I think most witches and wizards do, to one degree or another. Some of us are just more susceptible to its lure. But I think there might be circumstances under which Potter could…change from the boy you know into someone very different."

I actually agree with Snape. I think everyone is capable of doing really bad things (I don’t know if you’ve seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer – but if you have, just look at Willow) when they’re provoked enough. Harry has lost so many people in his l
parisdamour chapter 27 . 4/23/2010
wow, i'm so glad they came back together! i loved that story, it was truly amazing!
watin77 chapter 27 . 4/13/2010
wow.

this is by far one of the most amazing pieces of fanfiction i have ever read. by turns delicate and passionate and intriguing and intricate and... simply breathtaking. this story is a favorite i'm sure i'll return to again and again. (bravo!)
Nerdlee chapter 27 . 3/26/2010
This is perhaps, one of the most well written pieces I've ever written. Very genuine and graceful, unexpected and really, thoroughly entertaining. Thank you so very much for writing this. Took me the better part of two and a half days to read through it. But it was a wonderful escape.

~Mia
Lizzy Gray chapter 27 . 3/13/2010
What a wonderful Story!

I just read it during the last days and I have to admit that I enjoyed every minute of it.

You have a wonderful way of describing people, situations and emotions - I really envy you for that! ;-)

Another thing I really liked about "The Buried Life" was the "threefold" perspective.

The way you pictured Harry as this adolescent, who's really being fed up by being himself - gorgeous. And far more believable than even JKRs own description of the boy.

The whole plot was very creative, from the storyline to the new characters you introduced (I loved the "cassandra" scenes, by the way!) and the places you invented, like Dumbledores Cottage (the chair made me laugh really hard).

To put it in a nutshell: If you're still here on (I noticed you stopped writing like 8 years ago), just go on writing. If you've stopped writing ffs, just because you're now a famous author or something - let me know! ;-)

Lizzy
accphotography chapter 27 . 3/4/2010
This will be the first review I've ever left for a fic. That is saying alot. I feel I would be remiss not leaving one after reading this fic. I've read alot of books and fics in my life and yet never has one so totally captivated me, put me on the edge of my seat, made me fall in love, hurt, yearn, CRY, laugh, wonder how the heck this is going to work out, etc. I have never gotten so totally wrapped up in a piece of fiction before. I read this faster than I've ever read anything. The only negative thing I can possibly say is that I longed for more. I loved your writing style, your vision, the plot, the ending, everything. About the only thing I might have changed is that I was expecting/hoping for some lemons when I picked this story to read and was disappointed when the fic was over that I never got that. However, just within an hour or so of finishing I've come to feel it might have cheapened the story. I am so in love with the feelings you left lingering in my heart and mind that I couldn't say I'd have wanted you to change a thing. I feel emotionally raw and spent... and I'm loving it. Thank you very much for this fic. I know it must have been a long and tiring process for you, but it was brilliant and I truly appreciate your allowing me to read it.

I would like to respectfully request a sequel. I have NEVER even considered reading an "established relationship" HG/SS, but this is one fic I would kill to see continued. I guess I can daydream and make it up in my own mind, but it won't be nearly as good. I regret that it's been 8 years since you posted here as I suspect we'll never see the sequel, but if you ever feel the need to pick up the pen again, I will be here waiting.

Best wishes,

ACC
PiercingArrow chapter 27 . 1/21/2010
Wow this story was incredible! At some points it had me in tears I was laughing so hard at others I was so tense I strained something. It was really hard to walk away. I loved it! The story line was incredible and I'm eager to read more of your stories. only thing I have to suggest is page breaks when you swich scenes, say from Harry and Dumbledore to Hermione and Severus. Oh, and I loved the idea of the cabin and the mirrors, very creative!
Juno.ru chapter 27 . 1/21/2010
Thank for that real feelings. Thank for that light vein of humour. Just thank you for all.

From Russia with love,

Juno.
defyentropy chapter 27 . 1/4/2010
I somehow just recently stumbled across this story, and I know its somewhat outdated now, but despite that I found it absolutely lovely. Though I have a normal aversion to the student/teacher pairing (odd, for someone who adores HG/SS), because of the implied power imbalance (I'm a women's studies major...), I thought you handled this beautifully. You literally had me tearing up at the end.
azzule chapter 27 . 12/18/2009
I read this a long time ago...

Fell in love completely with the story, so much, that after all those years, I remembered it and HAD to find it.

So I spent a few hours just browsing until I recognized the title.

Seriously, amazing and captivating.
Katamabob chapter 27 . 11/15/2009
Amazing story, I really enjoyed it! Just wished it went on longer!

Kate
mannd1068 chapter 27 . 11/9/2009
Good story!
hochexplosiv chapter 27 . 11/3/2009
Really nice plot. I loved reading your story. You have a good hand for humor.
Ishtart chapter 27 . 10/15/2009
Wonderful story I just stumbled across. Quite enjoyed it, thank you for sharing with us.
942 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »