Reviews for The Buried Life
Miravisu chapter 27 . 7/13/2010
Started dark and glum, with Ron's demise and all, clever way of getting him out of Snape's way too though.. and then, the circumstances leading to the student and teacher finding their roles in uncharted territory.. a very nice read!
sexy-biker-voice chapter 20 . 6/19/2010
Okay, this was the most wonderful, funny, adorable chapter ever. I laughed and I awwed and I didn't stop reading until the end. (I don't think I blinked). This is a wonderful story so far and I look forward to reading the rest. You are amazing.
Mierke chapter 27 . 5/26/2010
Chapter 22 (The chambers of justice)

Harry looked at Fudge in surprise, feeling a rush of embarrassment and anger as he realized that an exception was being made for him, once again, because of his celebrity. He wanted to hand that right back to Fudge, and had the consequences been anything less than time in Azkaban, he probably would have. He was repulsed by his own hypocrisy. He insisted to everyone who would listen that he wanted to be treated like a normal person, but when faced with consequences a normal person would be expected to face, he wore his fame like a suit of armour.

Harry shouldn’t be so hard on himself. No one in his position would voluntarily take the chance to be sent to Azkaban. It’s just not worth it.

I’ve always hated Fudge, and this story isn’t making it any better. I hate how they’re setting Harry up to frame Snape, or, more probably, to frame Dumbledore, so he can finally get his full authority. He never cared much for Dumbledore, precisely because Dumbledore is the better of the two and refuses to back down for Fudge’s almighty power as the Minister of Magic.

NO! Come on, you can’t really send Snape to Azkaban, can you? *rushes on to the next chapter*

Chapter 23 (No medals for service to the light)

"It will be…hard on her at first. Help her, if you can."

"It'll kill her," Harry whispered.

"Don't be ridiculous!" Snape's brows snapped together and he pinned Harry with his most vicious glare. "It most certainly will not do that. Give her some credit. And in the meantime, keep your mouth shut. I'll not have her worrying."

Harry nodded mutely, but privately he wished Snape asked him to take over the teaching of Potions classes – or some equally ridiculous thing - rather than giving him the impossible task of consoling Hermione. And how on earth was he supposed to keep this from her? Wouldn't it be kinder to give her some warning? However, Snape's face said that he would hear of no discussion on the matter, so Harry kept quiet.

Poor Hermione. I actually agree with Harry on this one – it will kill her. The poor thing :( And it’s upon Harry to console her? Poor him too!

Also: poor Snape. He was finally ready to allow himself some love, some friendship, someone to be by his side. And now he’s forced to leave her, thus convincing himself that he was right all the time and shouldn’t have let anyone come close to him.

You are killing me with this chapter! It hurts so much, seeing Hermione react to the news of Severus being escorted away. I love that McGonagall is willing to take care of her. I love how she understands it (it’s a brilliant twist to have her fallen in love with her teacher too – I really see McGonagall doing that), and tries to comfort her without falling back on platitudes.

He held her in his mind as long as he could, all the way from Dumbledore's office and across the Hogwarts grounds. He ignored the Aurors flanking him on either side, every thought focussed on their short time together in Ireland. He remembered the perfect way her head had fit just below his chin and the feel of her curls twined around his fingers. He remembered as much as he could of every conversation, of the way she dared to tease him, of the feel of her fingers when they found the ticklish spot on the tender skin in the crook of his arm and the unfamiliar sound of his own laughter mingling with hers. He clung to the memories until they made the entrance to the Hogwarts grounds, and when they crossed through the portal, he caught sight of the shrouded dementor waiting for him and felt the chill sweep over him as the sound of laughter gave way to the sound of screaming. Her screams at first, as she writhed under Finbar's wand, and then others, nameless victims of his misspent youth who howled their way back into his consciousness as the Aurors stepped away and gave him over into the dementor's decaying hands.

You keep making me cry!

Chapter 24 (The best laid plans)

O. M. G. I can’t say much about this chapter, only that I’m sitting on the edge of my seat and desperate to learn more!

Chapter 25 (The isle of pillars)

"Stella!" Mr. Weasley exclaimed. "I have something here to show you. Really a find, I'll tell you." He unrolled the paper and held it in front of her, completely blocking her view of the room. "It's a Muggle movie poster! Isn't it wonderful? Look at those pictures - how they just sit there on the page! You know, I was just saying to Molly the other day…"

I love how Arthur gets him out of there!

Oh, no, Snape! I can’t believe his happened!

"She was with me because I was searching for Potter," Snape said coldly, willing the other man to believe him. "She is my student, nothing more, and taking her will accomplish nothing."

"Well, perhaps not," Barter said lightly, "but once I have her, there's no reason I shouldn't enjoy her."

Snape's stomach lurched violently; had he eaten anything in the past twenty-four hours, it certainly would have ended up on the floor of the cave. He fought to keep his expression neutral but was unable to speak.

"Perhaps you'd like to watch?" Barter offered.

Poor Snape. He’d probably rather live through the Cruciatus than hear these kind of things!

And so it was that Severus Snape was startled awake by a tiny ball of wriggling fur which transformed, on top of him, into a laughing, crying Hermione. She flung her arms around the astonished man and pressed kisses to his gaunt face, wetting his whiskered cheeks with her tears.

"Hermione…" he whispered, encircling her with his arms. "What are you doing here, foolish girl?"

"I'm rescuing you, of course," she answered, wiping her tears and beaming at him. "But first I'm going to kiss you until Harry figures out a way to get us out of here." She made good on her promise, pressing her lips to his.

That part made my heart lift up in my chest and rejoice!

I’m very, very happy Albus was there to get them out. It’s incredible that he got them out with an Unforgivable. Who would have thought him capable of that? It’s obvious that both Snape and Hermione (and Harry too) mean a great deal to him.

Chapter 26 (Flight)

Hermione wanted to weep with the sense of homecoming and to rush around embracing the charmed furnishings as old friends. She had been whisked from nightmare to fantasy, in a twinkling.

I love that. After all the horror she’s gone through since returning to Hogwarts, Dumbledore’s cottage would seem like the only safe place she knows. It’s where she had the most glorious days of her life.

She didn't expect him to come to her. She thought there was nothing left to add to what had transpired between them outside, and part of her shied away from the thought of any further contact. Even the gentlest touch is painful to an open wound.

But he crossed over to her and pulled her into his arms; though she did feel the pain, it was worth it to feel his touch one last time. "I told you outside that this never should have happened," he murmured into her hair. "And that's true for more reasons than I can count."

He pulled away and framed her face gently with his hands, forcing her to look at him. "But in spite of that…I'm glad it did."

She nodded and bit her lip, unable to speak, and with a brush of dry lips across her brow, he was gone.

I can’t believe he’s really leaving…

Epilogue: The buried life

"You know, Hermione, sometimes the heart makes promises, and no words ever need to be spoken. Go to him, child. Find out."

That is beautiful. And very true. And such a thing for Dumbledore to say.

The day she stood next to a silently triumphant Dumbledore as the new Minister of Magic pardoned Severus Snape and Harry Potter on the Headmaster's evidence was the day she realized that his face had begun to fade from her memory. Some days it was difficult to recall the exact timbre of his voice. He still visited her dreams, though even that was happening less and less often, as if even her subconscious was releasing its hold on him. Hope faded along with the memories when there was no word from him, and in the two years since that day, she had forced herself to 'get on with her life' or at least to perform the expected rituals.

Poor Hermione. Those few days not hardly enough to last for a lifetime, and with no real clue whether they’d ever find each other again. It must have been awful to realize ever her memories had been slipping away.

They discussed Dark magic and Dark wizards at length, but never once called Voldemort by name, a circumstance that Harry found ironic in the extreme. They never called Dumbledore by name either, or any other witch or wizard they had known, though Severus did occasionally make reference to "the Headmaster," "your Head of House," or "those idiots at the Ministry."

Most of all, they never talked about Hermione.

Life must have been incredibly difficult for them. Not only were they fugitives, they had had to leave behind the very people they loved, not even able to mention their names without it hurting too bad.

You really had me scared there that this wouldn’t end happily. I’m very relieved you found a way to give it a happy ending anyway. Thank you for writing this amazing story!
Mierke chapter 21 . 5/26/2010
Chapter 17 (Teacher’s pet)

"I am not throwing a temper tantrum," she snapped. "I just don't know how you can sit there so calmly, not doing anything. Oh I wish Ron were here! He'd go with me without a second thought."

"Which is precisely why he's dead, and I'm alive," Snape answered coldly.

She recoiled as if she'd been slapped. "That was beneath even you," she said, and then she felt the tears sting her eyes and she walked quickly away from him, out the front door.

*huggles Hermione* Poor thing.

"Ah, well. I'm just one of many students, Professor. Soon you'll have a whole new batch of first years to terrify."

"'Tis the only thing that keeps me going," he said lightly.

She giggled and then clapped her hand over her mouth. "Sorry. Forgot how you feel about that."

"Hmm. Perhaps I could relax the rule on giggling, as long as we remain absolutely clear on the need for you to observe silence at the breakfast table."

She laughed again and sipped from her glass. How had he taken her from tears to laughter so quickly?

I love how they’re slowly going from teacher and student, to partners who respect each other, to maybe even more than that. I love how Snape is relaxing in her presence, allowing her to see a little bit of himself and seeing her as more than just the annoying know-it-all.

I love how Snape is frustrated by losing his intimidating factor over Hermione. However much he can relax in her presence, probably not even fully realizing that that’s what he’s doing, there is no way that he is consciously going to allow her to come closer. That sounds… very typical.

Stupid, brave Hermione. I don’t think why Snape thought she would leave Harry there when she had found him – because it’s very obvious that there is no way she could have done that. I’m very glad Snape came to her rescue.

Tea. She had been going to make tea. She headed for the kitchen, but her legs didn't want to cooperate and she faltered, grabbing for the back of a chair to steady herself. She was trembling and ashamed of the fact that she was trembling and wished very much that Snape would just go back to his book and leave her to collapse on the floor in peace.

*huggles the poor girl again* It really hurts seeing her this way.

He crossed the room in long, impatient strides. "Foolish girl," he snapped, catching her, steadying her, and then reaching down and picking her up in strong arms for the second time that day. He carried her to the huge rocking chair, and instead of dropping her unceremoniously into its depths, as she had expected, he lowered himself into the chair and settled her in his lap. "Foolish girl," he repeated, but softly this time, pressing her head into his shoulder and smoothing his hand over her tangle of curls.

She felt the trembling lessen as he began to rock slowly back and forth, continuing to stroke her hair. She relaxed into the soft cotton of his shirt and inhaled the masculine scent that had become a familiar part of her landscape over the last difficult days. It was the most unlikely of positions, and yet she was comfortable. Her muscles unclenched and she drifted off to sleep, lulled by the thudding heart beneath her cheek.

That made me tear up in a good way. So sweet…

Chapter 18 (The man behind the mask)

"I don't recall ever saying I wanted your help, and we seem to do things your way more often than not," he groused, but he summoned his books and papers from inside the house. "Here," he said, handing her a roll of parchment. "The syllabus for the first year class. I've written out the schedule of assignments already. Cross-reference the assignments with the proper sections of the text, and write in the page numbers. Here, Potter. You do the second years'."

I love how Hermione always gets him to do things her way, no matter how much he protests against it. I also love how concerned Snape is for Harry, more affected by the fact that he is now his godfather, than he wants to admit.

That first kiss? Amazing.

"Don't," she whispered urgently. "Don't you dare pull away."

Oh, Hermione, how I love you.

"Oh, I like it when you say my name," she breathed, leaning down to kiss him again.

He stopped her, long fingers gently gripping her jaw. "Then I won't do it again," he said softly. "Please."

She nodded then and lifted herself away from him, awkwardly scrambling away and sitting some distance down on the sofa, biting her lip again. She pulled her hair out of its clip and hid behind the curtain it formed while he leaned forward and put his head in his hands.

Poor girl, falling for someone who is so afraid to be loved. Even for one who wasn’t his student it would be almost impossible to let him love her; for Hermione it’s even a harder struggle.

I loved the conversation between Harry and Snape. Harry realizing what was going on and defending Hermione was beautiful; as was Snape’s realization that Harry didn’t do what he did for selfish reason, but for the exact opposite. Hearing his reasons coming from Harry’s mouth must have hit him really hard.

"I mean it, Hermione. I don't want to be Harry Potter anymore. I'm sick of it. Sick of the whole bloody mess. I'm sick of being the boy who lived while everyone he cared about died."

"It's not your fault." She punctuated her statement with a squeeze to his hand.

"And I'm not going away to punish myself," he insisted. "I'm going away because it's the only way I'll be able to live the life I want to live."

*huggles poor Harry close* I can see why he’s willing to chose to live that way, but it’s an enormous sacrifice he’s making. He’s never felt as at home as he did when he arrived at Hogwarts. Leaving that world to keep the people around him safe, to be able to form friendships without being scared that they’ll die because of it… it’s gonna be really tough.

Chapter 19 (The serpent and the lion)

"I wasn't trying to discuss her," Harry argued. "I was trying to discuss you. But since you brought it up, I don't think she's being imaginative at all. I think you just can't stand the fact that someone actually found something to like about you."

"Shut up, Potter."

"I won't," Harry said, shaking his head defiantly. "You know, I've always had people who liked me, but usually it was for all the wrong reasons. It was because I had a stupid scar on my head and got my picture in the paper. They didn't even know me. But Hermione likes you in spite of how terrible you've been to us over the years. She sees stuff in you that no one else sees at all. Do you know what I would give to have someone like me that way?"

I love how Harry keeps trying to get Snape to see what he’s doing to himself; I love how he, in spite of the fact that he can’t fathom why Hermione would feel something for Snape, still tries to make things right for her.

"I'm sorry, Remus," Harry said, forcing himself to meet Remus's sad eyes.

Remus sighed and shook his head. "I don't know whether to hug you or try to knock some sense into you."

"Um, hug?" Harry ventured, his green eyes begging for forgiveness.

"I hadn't intended to give you a vote," Remus said dryly, but he stepped forward and pulled Harry into his arms. "You scared me to death, Harry." Harry felt the tremor in Remus's voice run through his whole body, and he was horrified to pull away and see tears in the older man's eyes.

That made me cry again.

She was humming with it now, and she buried her face in her pillow and squealed, giving in to a very Lavender-ish expression of joy. Had anyone been around to hear, she would have been mortified; Hermione Granger did not squeal. Her pillow muffled the sound without censure, and she felt better for having gotten it out of her system. She wondered if she'd ever get to sleep that night.

So cute!

Chapter 20 (Conversations)

I love, love, love this chapter! I think these were my favourite parts:

"There is a potion that will permanently straighten your hair."

"Promise me you won't use it."

"You're really beginning to irritate me."

"Just beginning? I thought I'd irritated you for years."

"Oh, you did. Then you stopped for a while. Now you're irritating me in a whole new way."

"Good. I have a reputation to maintain."

"Mmm hmm."

"Do we really have to leave tomorrow?"

"You said we did."

"I'm always right."

Chapter 21 (Time running out)

Poor Snape; still so unsure of whether he is worthy of being loved, that he is desperate to convince Hermione that she is allowed to pick someone else.

He sighed and pulled her close. "I confess, my love, that I am not looking forward to that."

"It's your own fault for being so horrible over the years." She fit her head into its nook beneath his chin, inhaling the clean, masculine scent of him. "Severus?"

"Call me that again, please."

She touched two fingertips to his Adam's apple and felt the slight vibration as he said the words.

"My love."

You’re making me melt. I love how Severus can be both the Snape we know from the books and a person who is able to love and be caring and tender.

Severus’ note brought tears to my eyes. It was so beautiful, so heart-breaking, yet so hopeful. Very powerful.

"Of course, Miss Granger. Our resident know-it-all and recently crowned Head Girl." His voice was like ice and she felt it freezing her heart, making it difficult to breathe. She couldn't do this – she just couldn't. The pain must have shown on her face because she saw the briefest flash of answering pain in his own dark eyes, and that split second was all she needed to recover and step into her role.

Poor Hermione. Poor Snape. It must be so incredibly hard to keep up this pretence; to sleep into the roles of hatred that they’ve lived so long in after having spend such an incredible time together. The pain they’re causing each other (and themselves) must be almost intoler
Mierke chapter 16 . 5/26/2010
I loved the dinner exchange; very light, but with some very subtle hints at things much more darker going on. Gregor not being able to keep his hands off Hermione was a lot of fun to see, even though Hermione probably didn’t feel that way. I think she performed admirably, though!

Chapter 12 (Dead ends)

"Fine, Professor. I hardly consider it a punishment to be deprived of your conversation when you're like this." To prove her point, she picked up a copy of the Prophet that had been left on the table behind her and opened it up so that her view of him was completely blocked. He ordered his breakfast and sipped at his coffee while he waited for his sluggish mind to catch up to his body.

Finally, it did. "Have you met Potter's relatives before?"

Hermione lowered her paper. "Am I allowed to talk now?"

Go Hermione! *giggle*

I love Hermione standing up for Harry, even though the Dursleys won’t remember it. She really is quite impressive in her fury – no doubt a quality that immensely attracts Snape, no matter how Gryffindor she is.

The last part of this chapter certainly makes me glad that the story is finished already!

Chapter 13 (The Arnold Street House)

Harry had no idea who was behind him when he wheeled around with his wand outstretched. He only knew that whoever had thought that he couldn't resist the Imperius curse had made a serious error in judgment.

The word left his mouth before his brain even knew it was formed, and he watched Peter Pettigrew fall to the ground, writhing and shrieking in pain.

The fact that he so easily resorts to the Unforgivables really worries me. There is no doubt in my mind that every time one uses the unforgivables it’s easier to go over to the dark side completely.

He had followed the commands thinking they might lead him to whoever had killed Sirius. He didn't know if Wormtail had been involved in that, but even if he hadn't, he deserved the torturous pain. Harry exulted in the power he held over the pathetic fool. He thought, on the whole, that he would be content to stand on that street forever, soaking in the sight of Pettigrew's suffering.

The fact that he’s even relishing in bringing pain upon Peter, that he’s almost drowning in the feeling of power, makes it even worse. Enjoying the suffering he’s causing is the crucial aspect that proves that he’s already on the dark side already.

Hermione is dealing with all these incredibly well. She’s a very strong girl, and while working through everything that is thrown upon her can’t be easy, she does it anyway.

Chapter 14 (The potion)

"It would act in much the same manner as a Dementor," he said with a sigh. "Only it does a Dementor one better. A Dementor feeds on happy thoughts; given in its full dosage, this potion would eliminate happy memories and begin eroding the conscience. Since I never completed work on it, I don't know to what extent that would occur, but my theory was that this potion would be a way to create new Death Eaters, even of men who never would have considered serving Voldemort otherwise."

That is extremely creepy. And I suppose exactly the potion the Death Eaters are looking for, now they have lost the persuasiveness of their leader. Especially in trying to get Harry on their side.

"Er, do you know what time you'll be there?" she asked. "I'm not sure I want to face the Headmaster alone."

"Tut tut, Miss Granger, where's that famous Gryffindor courage?" he derided.

"Misplaced, at the moment," she answered crisply. "So what time do you think you'll be there? I'll time my arrival for just after yours."

"Most of your teachers spend their lives arse over elbow," he said snidely. "It's absurd to think students can defend themselves against something they know nothing about. You are certainly intelligent enough to read this material without being damaged by it. If you weren't, I wouldn't have considered having you along."

Well, that was a surprising compliment, she thought, even if it had been delivered in that annoyingly Snape-ish tone and juxtaposed with an insult to her teachers, many of whom she adored. She knew better by now than to thank him or even to comment. "I'll get started on the book while I'm waiting on you."

"Good. We'll meet with Dumbledore when I arrive, and then, assuming he doesn't send you home, you can help me in the laboratory this evening." He gave her a stern look. "Under no circumstances are you to touch the things we removed from that house before I get there. Understand?"

"Of course, Professor. I can't imagine why you feel the need to praise my intelligence one minute and then insult it the next."

He snorted. "It keeps my world in balance, Miss Granger."

Definitely one of my favourite parts of this fic. I love how they can be so at ease at each other, teasing each other and laughing together while keeping an eye on what’s important. Snape doesn’t stop being Snape here; he just has a worthy opponent, and that’s something he really values. I love how his playfulness emerges when he’s around Hermione.

Chapter 15 (Back to Hogwarts)

He reached for his wand and lit a small flame under the cauldron, and she was pleased to note that his movements were smoother. Apparently threatening her was a calming experience.

That doesn’t surprise me one bit! I love how he’s appreciating what she does for him, and admiring her intelligence. I had a minute of doubt when Dumbledore announced that if Snape had enough of her, he would send her home – I think it says a lot that Snape wanted her to stay.

But restlessly coexisting with the unease was the vague thrill of finally working with a student worthy of his attentions. As they went over her notes, turned pages in various books, and discussed the properties of arcane ingredients, he was reminded of his own apprenticeship, of the pleasure that had come with being in the presence of one who shared his interests and understood his motivations. He had spent years isolated from that kind of contact, and he couldn't deny that it was…refreshing. Had there been more Miss Grangers in his classroom, he might not have hated teaching quite so much.

This is a great insight into Snape’s mind. I love how he’s connecting with Hermione over something that he really loves, how he’s surprised by how great it feels to share a passion again after all these years. He’s even willing to step out of his comfort zone, let her into his soul a little bit by talking about something he loves so much, and that in front of an (admittedly very mature) seventeen year old girl.

Hermione reached for the coffeepot and poured a cup of coffee, adding milk as she'd seen him do the previous two days, and then handing it to him.

That’s such a nice touch. I love how observing she is, how she uses her time to study her mentor. It’s so sweet of her (and so Hermione-like) to use it to his advantage, instead of to her own; to use it to show him how much she respects him and to take a little care of him in such small ways.

Chapter 16 (The cottage)

Dumbledore’s cottage was amazing. I can totally picture Dumbledore there, enjoying each and every one of his enchantments and chuckling to himself when he encounters one he had forgotten. Poor, poor Snape though – it is the exact opposite of his own quarters and he must be going out of his mind there.

Snape exhaled as the last of the pain left him. "I am once again happy about the fact that you are an insufferable know-it-all, Miss Granger. I would not have wanted the fate of my leg to rest in the hands of most of your classmates."

"A simple 'thank-you' will suffice, Professor," she answered coldly, his sarcastic drawl landing like a splash of acid on her frayed nerves. She began gathering up the bloody towels without looking at him.

He wrapped long fingers around her wrist, staying her hand. "Thank you."

That was an incredibly sweet moment. Lovely, really. Not saccharine-sweet, but very beautiful-sweet.
Mierke chapter 10 . 5/26/2010

I started reading your story because it was recced on epic_recs on livejournal. Your prologue was heartbreaking, but you did a brilliant way of getting us into your story, and telling us everything that went differently here than in the books. I think your Harry is spot-on; he's sad, but loyal, always giving more credit to his friends than to himself. I loved the scene where he's watching the pattern in the ceiling of the hospital wing, where you're subtly telling us that Ron has died, without feeling the need to explore it endlessly. This was my favourite part:

Hmmm. That middle one probably means that Snape is going to give me a detention for not turning in my Potions assignment this morning. I can hear it now: "And I suppose you think saving the world excuses you from your responsibilities as a student at this school, don't you Mr. Potter? Well, the rest of the wizarding population may be impressed with you, but I can assure you that I do not share in their adoration. Twenty points from Gryffindor, and you'll be spending tonight with Mr. Filch."

Chapter 2 (Hogsmeade in the morning)

I like that you've used a magic mirror in your story. I love those things! And he sounds perfect too.

"Forgive me if I don't take the time to give a bloody damn," Snape snapped. "He's seventeen years old, still a student, and we're trying to save his miserable hide. He'll do as he's told."

That definitely sounds like Snape. There is no way he will ever acknowledge that there might be some care or real feelings behind his actions.

Chapter 3 (Hogwarts in the afternoon)

"The library is open should you wish to work on some of your summer assignments," Professor McGonagall said crisply.

"Oh joy," Harry snapped, and he instantly regretted it.

She glared at him over her glasses and immediately reduced him to feeling like a first-year. "I suggest you watch your tone, Mr Potter, unless you'd like to spend your summer break assisting Mr Filch with his duties."

I love your character interactions. Harry who can't hold his tongue and gets himself in trouble for being too brass; McGonagall being strict, but not unreasonable.

"Her room is ready," McGonagall said. "I only said that to Harry because I…I thought I should have Ron Weasley's bed moved out of his room before he went up there." Her face twisted in a brief spasm of grief, but Snape merely nodded.

McGonagall always had that strange mix of strict and above-her-students, but still really caring for them. It's what always made me love her and I'm glad to see that in this story she's got that same mix.

The sobs tore through his body and echoed in the hollow room as he mourned the missing bed and the loyal friendship of the boy who had slept there. The sixth brother, Ron had always fought to stand out in the crowd, to accomplish something significant on his own. He had wanted to matter most to someone - and he had.

He had mattered most to Harry Potter.

That part made me cry.

Chapter 4 (Hermione)

"I've cried off and on all summer," she admitted. "I never know what will set me off. Mum and Dad have been on tiptoes."

"D'you think it ever gets better?"

She shrugged. "I'm still waiting."

I love how they're sharing their grief; how Hermione is just as lost as Harry is. It's a hard time to go through for both of them.

Hermione was second only to Madam Pince when it came to sheer time spent in the library, and she knew the place with the intimacy of a lover.

I love that image, it’s beautiful. And it says so much about who Hermione is.

I always love it when Animagus transformation is used. It’s such a fascinating brand of magic, and I’m curious to see what animal you think Harry would be!

Chapter 5 (Don’t look now, but there’s a girl in your bed)

"How very disappointing," Snape murmured.

"I was so looking forward to seeing Professor McGonagall's face when you went down in your underwear."

That made me giggle!

"Honestly?" she said. "My first thought was that they are very complicated, and my second thought was, 'Poor Neville.'"

He looked at her sharply then, and she could have sworn she saw his lips twitch. "Indeed," he said. "Astute observations both, if not precisely the answer I was looking for."

Brilliant. I love Hermione, and here she’s just the right combination of sassy and respectful.

"Just right at first," Harry said. "Mr Weasley came to Hogsmeade right after I went to live with Sirius. We talked a bit and I told him what had happened. He said over and over that they didn't blame me at all, but…"

Harry has always been taking too much of the blame. He will be crushed by his feelings of guilt, if he doesn’t realize soon that it was not his fault what happened to Ron.

Chapter 6 (The Godfather)

This chapter really made me cry. Seeing Harry see Sirius die without being able to do anything about it, it broke my heart.

I’m intrigued by the fact that he would ask Snape to be his godfather. I can’t see any of them really be happy about it, but maybe things will change a little bit over time.

Chapter 7 (Catching the floo)

The others would be leaving the infirmary soon if they hadn't already, and he had to leave the castle before they saw him. He considered taking the hidden passageway to Honeydukes, but since it was still dark outside, he decided to risk one last ride on his Firebolt. It would be much faster, anyway.

Poor Harry, intent on leaving again because he things he’s only getting the people around him in trouble. It hurts to see him going through life like this. To see him so convinced that he’s only bringing people in danger, without realizing how much he means to those people and how lost they’d be without him. Some people would certainly call him stupid and selfish (Snape comes to mind), but I don’t think he is that at all; I think he’s scared and lost, afraid that he will hurt the very persons he loves the most.

I love that Hermione is going after him. I don’t think she would have thought of doing that before Ron died, but there is no way that Ron’s death didn’t change her. I can see why she’d be desperate to hold on to the only friend she has left.

Chapter 8 (The partner, er, assistant)

"Miss Granger, I assure you that had I known how much trouble you and your friends would cause me, I would have resigned my position at Hogwarts the day you were sorted."

"Professor, had we known how much trouble you would cause us, we would have been delighted to help you pack," she answered icily.

Hermione certainly has changed; Ron’s death has made her see the more important things perhaps, or just really threw her off. I can’t imagine what she’s going through right now, with Harry gone.

"First, I am in charge. You are to do what I say, when I say, without asking the endless and annoying questions for which you are so famous. In return, I shall make a genuine attempt to keep you apprised of what we are doing, and why. In short, I will trust you, Miss Granger. I will trust you to act intelligently and to respect the fact that I have more experience at subterfuge than you have."

That actually sounds like a decent offer. Snape really must think high of Hermione if he’s considering taking such a liability with him on his journey.

"What fun," he drawled. "Perhaps afterwards we can discuss makeup and exchange beauty secrets."

She giggled and then clapped a hand to her mouth when she saw his scornful expression. "I'm sorry, Professor," she said. "It's just that I don't expect you to have a sense of humour."

He gave her a look that could have stripped the plaster from the walls. "I have no tolerance for schoolgirl giggles, Miss Granger."

"Then perhaps you shouldn't make jokes," she answered evenly. "For a brief moment, I actually found you funny. I doubt very much that it will be a regular occurrence."

I love their exchanges! I love how Hermione doesn’t budge under Snape’s snide remarks, and how Snape actually seems to like that. It’s probably very unusual for him to meet someone who actually meets him on his own turf, who doesn’t let herself be bullied but just replies. It’s wonderful!

Hermione is incredibly brave. I respect her enormously for being willing to go to a dinner party with Death Eaters. There are so many things that could happen to her there, and none of them will be pleasant. But Hermione has always been incredibly loyal. I just hope things will be okay.

Chapter 9 (His makeover)

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again. Poor Harry. He’s lost everything he has, and now believes he can’t even live with his friends anymore. He’s living a lie, and even though he’s making the choice to do that, he thinks there is no other option and there is no way he would have done this voluntarily. Adjusting to normal human life won’t be easy, not at all.

Chapter 10 (Her makeover)

"Black said the same thing," Snape said, looking down at his hands. "And I agreed with him at the time, but then, last night, when Black died…we both heard the threats Potter made." He looked up and met Hermione's eyes, and he was utterly serious, without a hint of sarcasm or a trace of his usual sneer. "He meant those threats. He has proven that given the right provocation, he has the potential for Dark Magic. It may be because of the transfer of powers that took place when he got his scar. We know that's where he got the ability to speak Parseltongue, anyway. Or it's more likely that he's always had it. I think most witches and wizards do, to one degree or another. Some of us are just more susceptible to its lure. But I think there might be circumstances under which Potter could…change from the boy you know into someone very different."

I actually agree with Snape. I think everyone is capable of doing really bad things (I don’t know if you’ve seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer – but if you have, just look at Willow) when they’re provoked enough. Harry has lost so many people in his l
parisdamour chapter 27 . 4/23/2010
wow, i'm so glad they came back together! i loved that story, it was truly amazing!
watin77 chapter 27 . 4/13/2010

this is by far one of the most amazing pieces of fanfiction i have ever read. by turns delicate and passionate and intriguing and intricate and... simply breathtaking. this story is a favorite i'm sure i'll return to again and again. (bravo!)
Nerdlee chapter 27 . 3/26/2010
This is perhaps, one of the most well written pieces I've ever written. Very genuine and graceful, unexpected and really, thoroughly entertaining. Thank you so very much for writing this. Took me the better part of two and a half days to read through it. But it was a wonderful escape.

Lizzy Gray chapter 27 . 3/13/2010
What a wonderful Story!

I just read it during the last days and I have to admit that I enjoyed every minute of it.

You have a wonderful way of describing people, situations and emotions - I really envy you for that! ;-)

Another thing I really liked about "The Buried Life" was the "threefold" perspective.

The way you pictured Harry as this adolescent, who's really being fed up by being himself - gorgeous. And far more believable than even JKRs own description of the boy.

The whole plot was very creative, from the storyline to the new characters you introduced (I loved the "cassandra" scenes, by the way!) and the places you invented, like Dumbledores Cottage (the chair made me laugh really hard).

To put it in a nutshell: If you're still here on (I noticed you stopped writing like 8 years ago), just go on writing. If you've stopped writing ffs, just because you're now a famous author or something - let me know! ;-)

accphotography chapter 27 . 3/4/2010
This will be the first review I've ever left for a fic. That is saying alot. I feel I would be remiss not leaving one after reading this fic. I've read alot of books and fics in my life and yet never has one so totally captivated me, put me on the edge of my seat, made me fall in love, hurt, yearn, CRY, laugh, wonder how the heck this is going to work out, etc. I have never gotten so totally wrapped up in a piece of fiction before. I read this faster than I've ever read anything. The only negative thing I can possibly say is that I longed for more. I loved your writing style, your vision, the plot, the ending, everything. About the only thing I might have changed is that I was expecting/hoping for some lemons when I picked this story to read and was disappointed when the fic was over that I never got that. However, just within an hour or so of finishing I've come to feel it might have cheapened the story. I am so in love with the feelings you left lingering in my heart and mind that I couldn't say I'd have wanted you to change a thing. I feel emotionally raw and spent... and I'm loving it. Thank you very much for this fic. I know it must have been a long and tiring process for you, but it was brilliant and I truly appreciate your allowing me to read it.

I would like to respectfully request a sequel. I have NEVER even considered reading an "established relationship" HG/SS, but this is one fic I would kill to see continued. I guess I can daydream and make it up in my own mind, but it won't be nearly as good. I regret that it's been 8 years since you posted here as I suspect we'll never see the sequel, but if you ever feel the need to pick up the pen again, I will be here waiting.

Best wishes,

PiercingArrow chapter 27 . 1/21/2010
Wow this story was incredible! At some points it had me in tears I was laughing so hard at others I was so tense I strained something. It was really hard to walk away. I loved it! The story line was incredible and I'm eager to read more of your stories. only thing I have to suggest is page breaks when you swich scenes, say from Harry and Dumbledore to Hermione and Severus. Oh, and I loved the idea of the cabin and the mirrors, very creative! chapter 27 . 1/21/2010
Thank for that real feelings. Thank for that light vein of humour. Just thank you for all.

From Russia with love,

defyentropy chapter 27 . 1/4/2010
I somehow just recently stumbled across this story, and I know its somewhat outdated now, but despite that I found it absolutely lovely. Though I have a normal aversion to the student/teacher pairing (odd, for someone who adores HG/SS), because of the implied power imbalance (I'm a women's studies major...), I thought you handled this beautifully. You literally had me tearing up at the end.
azzule chapter 27 . 12/18/2009
I read this a long time ago...

Fell in love completely with the story, so much, that after all those years, I remembered it and HAD to find it.

So I spent a few hours just browsing until I recognized the title.

Seriously, amazing and captivating.
946 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »