Reviews for The Banquet of the Brave
wellduh chapter 1 . 5/8/2003
OOh, depressing. Aww.
Dora Mugworts chapter 1 . 9/16/2002
Whoa! That's a pretty dramatic beginning, if I do say so myself. So many people focus on Eowyn's reactions to things, such as the deaths of Eomund and Theodwyn, but neglect Eomer. Please continue this soon! :-)
Woman of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 7/14/2002
How sad...very beautiful, Joan. That would be a terrible thing to realize, especially for a boy. I can't wait for the next chapter!
Nessamelda chapter 1 . 6/26/2002
Lovely fic. It shows just how much Eomer has been influenced by his father and the culture he was brought up in. I liked the bit with the orc helmet too, as what their mother said seemed just right for a mother who is under stress to say.

You can also see the strong relationship between Eomer and Eowyn.

Very curious also that the darkness has 'red eyes'

Great fic! Can't wait to see more!
kezya chapter 1 . 6/25/2002
Oi, I liked that. Continue, please!
Nemis chapter 1 . 6/25/2002
What strikes me from the very beginning of the story is the contrast between what can be considered "real" and what is not (or the lack of contrast)...

The monsters are still hiding under Eowyn's bed, but she does not seem truly afraid of them now, somewhere understanding that her father's death is "real", and the monsters are not (I can't really explain it in a way that makes sense, sorry…).

The monsters and darkness are still around her, but she also very much realises that her father is no more, even though she seems to grasp the exact meaning of death somewhat awkwardly(probably due to her age)…

The darkness seems another reality for Eowyn, where not only the monsters hide, but also her brother's hollow words can be placed. (hollow to her)

At that moment, she perhaps understands the emptiness of death more than he does (or thinks she does anyway, because it can also be understood as Eomer's way to comfort her, protect her)

For a moment she seems older than her brother, but I wonder if this is not merely their different way of dealing with death, of seeing death…

My teachers always say I see to much behind things… You can kick me if I made no sense… *shrugs* I like it... Who cares about teachers...