Reviews for Cake and Lies
Guest chapter 13 . 10/2/2016
Wow. This is actually good. Exceed Expectation. Don't get me wrong, Blue Sky might wins the best writing, novel-like description and all, but this is my favorite takes on Wheatley. This is the runner up, the Aperture Science to 'Blue Sky's Black Mesa, but who cares - I love Aperture Science more. Hats off for the plot twist.
RustyBuckets chapter 14 . 9/23/2016
Oh dang, is this Portal or Half-life? With a cliffhanger like that I'm leaning towards the latter.
M chapter 1 . 7/22/2016
This story was Amazing. I cannot put into words how great it was, but i loved reading every word of it.
Devin Trinidad chapter 14 . 5/18/2016
Just.

I have no words.

None.

Absolutely none.

I think that your fabulous writing has completely rendered me speechless

Hold on.

Give me a second.

*breathes*

Oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man! This was INCREDIBLE!

The characters, the alternate universes, the interactions, etc. etc. etc.! Oh my gosh, this is right up there with Blue Sky-better even! Man, this entire story was beautiful. The pacing was perfect, the plot twists were so subtle that they took me by surprise, and Wheatley-

Oh my gosh, Wheatley!

HE

WAS

AMAZING.

Seriously, best Human!Wheatley ever. You retained the mannerisms that he had in canon, but you developed him to the point where I didn't see him as the complete same as Core!Wheatley, but as an entirely different person with his own ambitions, loss, and identity.

You know what, that's what I loved most about this story. Sure, there were different versions of the characters in here, but you were really detailed and careful in how you described the characters. You didn't make paper cutouts out of the same mold, you made them vastly different, but so eerily similar. How do I explain this? You made Human!Wheatley sympathetic by referring to his human life, showing that he's suffering because of what GLaDOS is putting him through, etc. However, in doing so, you also made the audience sympathetic towards Core!Wheatley. You made him so complex and with so many layers.

Wheatley is an idiot, but he's thinking so much faster than most people. He's brash and doesn't think things through, but his plans work in the end! He can be sensitive, jerky, and selfish, but he learns from his mistake. He becomes sympathetic towards Chell, Rick, Craig, and maybe Caroline/GLaDOS and oh my gosh, his growth as a character just hit me.

I think the best part of the story is that we don't get to see much of Chell. I love Chell just like any other Portal fan, but most stories always have him interacting with her. It was nice to see that his story wasn't mainly betrayal and using Chell to achieve his own ends. He was his own character and you just made him so likable.

(Fun fact: loved that everybody keeps poking fun of his lack of luck with girls, his height, the fact that he's a BLOODY TECHNICIAN AND YOU SENT ROBOTS AFTER ME, HA!, and generally...everything. Including the smolder in chapter 4).

Overall, this was highly enjoyable, everyone was in character, the humor and the gore was placed/written beautifully, and and and and...

What else can I say?

This was great and I happily petition for a sequel because guess what? Chell and Wheatley finally meet in the end!

PS That Epilogue, now I understand the summary. What Core!Wheatley really wanted at the end was to apologize and you know what you did at the end? You had Wheatley finally apologize. Holy cow, I'm having a moment because I can clearly tell that everything (details, characterization, plot twists, idea) were all premeditated. That takes serious skill and I happily encourage you to pursue greater projects in the Portal fandom in the future.

Adieu.
hellraven-ovo chapter 14 . 4/7/2016
I read this fic on Ao3
I did not realize it was also here
Instant fave cause I have to read it again!
Duskinator chapter 14 . 4/5/2016
Oh...! Now I want to know what happens between Wheatley and Chell! Can you write another story? Please? About Wheatley and Chell, even if it's a one-shot?
GreyLiliy chapter 13 . 10/12/2015
This was an amazing fic work & was a joy to read (I've finished it, but this was my favorite chapter so I'm commenting here! XD).

I had almost forgotten how fun it could be to see Wheatley interacting with people who aren't Chell, and you really brought some life into Rick & Fact Core, and even a wonderful glimpse into a 'Would Be' other universe. Wonderful blend of AU & Canon, and everyone felt spot on character wise.

Wonderful character development for Wheatley, and great use of his strengths (GLADOS just not being able to wrap her head around the fact he knows things like computers was great, case in point), and Wheatley vs Glados was a great final showdown, both Computer Wise and Caroline wise. Especially that cool down moment where they have a lovely exposition chat - that built up to a great moment.

And of course, that final "I am not a moron" is probably the most bad ass I've ever seen Wheatley, and him pulling her head down to eye level was the icing on the cake.

Fantastic job. Really enjoyed it. Thank you so much for sharing!
Rabbtgirl Portal Fan chapter 14 . 6/12/2015
This is probably the best fanfic that includes Wheatley. I couldn't stop reading no matter what. The way Wheatley interacts with all the characters is amazing and all the plot twists were completely unexpected. I cannot ever imagine Wheatley the same way again, all thanks to this!
Toraso chapter 14 . 5/10/2015
God damn. That was, without a doubt, one of the best Portal stories I've ever read. Can't even really think of anything else to say, here; the literary critic inside me is silenced. And that, that only happens with the very best. Props to you, MVTK42; props to you.
Fishapedvanilla chapter 9 . 3/23/2015
THAT'S DOCTOR MORON TO YOU!
This line was amazing.

Pennies lol

Caroline... Will give me nightmares... Urgh...

Kittens. And. Unicorns.
I. Can't. Even.
Fishapedvanilla chapter 6 . 3/23/2015
This is so GOOD. It's so good!

Like, best. Writing. Concept. Characters. Everything. Ever.
Wanderinghobbit chapter 14 . 1/7/2015
So I found this fic when I was browsing through TV Tropes, and I have to say, you exceeded every expectation I had. I love how you actually worked in so much of Wheatley's canon personality, while adding a slight twist of utter badass. The whole bit with the corpses was really good too, as it was a pet peeve of mine. Don't get me wrong, I love the whole 'miraculous cryogenic freeze' thing, but it was much more realistic to have the bodies not in the best shape.

All in all, this fic was lovely and amazing. Good job you-
Guest chapter 14 . 9/10/2014
I literally have no words. That was...wow. Great work, the portal fic I've been waiting for since getting into the fandom! Will there be a sequel? It seems so... if so, if you still want to, please write it soon! I'd love to read more of your amazing work :)
Yarrow chapter 13 . 9/6/2014
Goddamnit Wheatley! You didn't have to turn her into a quadriplegic!

But you did manage to maintain Wheatley's total bastard-ness.
Silverstreams chapter 4 . 7/21/2014
So I started reading this chapter on my lunch break and ended up forgetting to keep eat about halfway through, ahaha. Stuff went down in this chapter and I wanted to be sure I had everything straight. I really liked the description of Wheatley being like a drunk newborn antelope, and I especially like how you gave him a creative solution to the test chamber with the lab coat. I like that you give him more depth than just an idiot. Also, the appearance of Bendy (I think that's what they call him? I dunno) definitely surprised me. I don't think I've seen him show up in a fic before! And I also liked how GLaDOS monitored the chambers. That was really cool for him to be able to see her and watch her body language.

And the video feed! I was wondering if the mysterious test subject would be someone other than Chell, and WOAH. It's so awesome to see a vengeful Caroline like that. And poor Craig. He didn't know what was coming (though I'm VERY curious to hear more about why she wants to murder Wheatley).

Excellent chapter! This raised a lot of questions that I look forward to seeing answered!