Reviews for Aviator Shades
Vermilion Steps chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Niceeeeeee
SixFoldDimension chapter 1 . 10/18/2013
i cant even think right now.

how is this so perf.
neverperfect97 chapter 1 . 6/15/2013
trying to review most to show my appreciation of your stories:) i think this one is one of th much nicer stories! and you weave it so nicely around, such that it seems to fit seamlessly tgt. i personally like your endings, such as this one, because th cliffhanger, while i don't generally like to bw left hanging, wraps up the story nicely. like wtv my english teacher said 5-6 years back, th entire thing is developed so well that th cliffhanger seems natural! love it3
Marse Speaks chapter 1 . 5/11/2013
This story almost brought tears out of my eyes. I found it very touching. Once again, I am amazed by your sophisticated writing style. I mean, this is more than eleven thousand words and I managed to finish this in one sitting! You really have the knack of writing long stories that can totally capture the readers' interest and attention. What an amazing writer you are! More respect. **

I actually am not sure where to begin with this one. I still have not gotten over Forever and a Day and I still have some feels because of it then this happened. You have no idea how Aviator Shades threw me into a roller-coaster of emotions. So, maybe, I should just enumerate what I think.

First, there is something in your writing style that makes it easy to follow, understand, and imagine. Plus, you have captured the character of Koko in the narration. I'm glad that you wrote this in his point of view because it's always interesting to see everything in the mind-reader's view; even more so because he's matured here. Also, it is more interesting given the role he has played in the story - the best friend of the girl he has loved.

Second, even though they are all grown up and mature here, you excelled in keeping them all in character. The closeness they all have here is really believable. Their careers are also reasonable for them to have. All of them are lovable, which says something because I really dislike Mikan, but in this story, you have made me like her again. (Just in this one. For now.) I saw how significant she is in this story. You have added depth to their characters and I saw the importance of each one. They seemed so alive while I was reading this. I am particularly happy that you gave Mochu the spotlight in this story. True, he is a side character in the original story, but this story made me crave for more of him. You've made him a very interesting character.

Third, the story is the solid core of everything and it has been told beautifully. It is engaging, indeed. The transitions from present to past and back are well done. It does not make the story feel kind of choppy; it just goes with a smooth flow.

Now, the story of someone loving the girl of his best friend surprisingly worked here. It is surprising for me because the best friends I saw in the series are Koko and Kitsu. Anyway, I realized Koko-Sumire-Mochu works well. (Okay, I may be more incoherent because I still haven't sorted out very well the feelings this story gave me.) Personally, this case of them is heart-wrenching. Oh, the emotions! Their emotions seem so real. Especially Koko's and Mochu's. I really sympathized for Mochu. It actually pained me to read that he just distanced himself to the others. I know how difficult it is to bottle up everything you're feeling. He didn't even punch Koko nor hurt Sumire! I could just imagine him crying himself to sleep after the things that happened. Poor Mochu. Oh! And I'd like to point out that I really liked that you showed in here that even though Koko can read minds, he is not always in the advantage, especially when he's with friends he's with for a long time.

The ending really brought a smile to my face. I actually thought that their parting ways in the airport would be the end, but I'm glad that it isn't. That bomb scene is good. Mochu and Koko actually felt like partners-in-crime to me. Haha. And that scene in the bar is very uplifting after reading everything they have gone through. I love that Mochu got known because of his heroic act and yet he didn't like it. The remark he gave about Natsume probably doing that for a living is clever. I see these two's friendship as a gem now. I also loved that they quoted Sumire and didn't bother about it. And, even though I'm really itching to know who got it, ending this without saying directly who got Sumire's call is effective. It leaves us readers freely imagining whatever happens next. It could be Mochu for those who root for him or it could be Koko for those who, like me, love Komire.

I'm sure that this story is worth hearing - or in our case, reading - over and over again. I hope many more will took time to read this magnificent story. I thank you for sharing this to us. The time I took to read and review this is worth it.

Cheers,
Marse Speaks

P.S. I thought it would took a long time before I'd be able to write a long review again, but I'm clearly wrong. This is even longer than my review in FAaD! Then again, this one is longer than that.
Shai Moe chapter 1 . 5/4/2013
Such a heart warming story C:
MiladyQueenMab chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
Hullo there,

Wow, well, a significant amount of time has passed since I have last left a review on this site, but reading your story, I couldn't help myself. :-) Uhm, considering the time in which this story was published, this review is extremely overdue, but in my defense, I had to read this story over about ten times thoroughly for my thoughts to even begin gaining coherence. Even then, I couldn't seem to find the right combination of words that would properly communicate them. I hope you forgive me if it is disorganized in its delivery, but nevertheless, in what follows I will attempt to elucidate exactly what these thoughts were.

This story is simple- much more so than many of your other stories. While that could be viewed negatively, I wholeheartedly believe it to be a firm positive. Writing in first person, overly descriptive or thought-provoking language has to be limited to the level of the character one is portraying. In this case, you portrayed Koko, a straightforward character, with a simplicity that truly resembles his voice. You limited your usage of complex vocabulary, and, by doing so, developed his voice in a realistic manner. I admire that feat greatly, because I don't believe I could ever do the same. The effect of the simplicity was resonant in the way every thought was articulated, and made clear without a trace of ambivalence. That is not to say, however, that Koko was not a complex story here. There was something so stripped-down and raw about your writing that somehow you managed to develop his character without portraying it in a convoluted manner. This story relied heavily on actions, dialogues and emotions rather than descriptive narratives, and in doing so effectively gestated into a story with which any audience- young, old, male or female- could relate.

What struck me as rather intriguing was the notion that Koko here is such an understandable and, for the lack of a better description, a 'readable' character. He is light, and divests himself of complexity, his emotions seemingly understood by all. Yet it is he who possesses the mind reading alice. The concept is somewhat humorous in that although he knows and hears all, his heart's true thoughts, intentions and desires are seen by others through his obviously overt and non-abstruse personality. Although I have seen Koko portrayed that way before, yours is a story that provided a different light to him by allowing us to step into his shoes and feel the emotions through his first person narrative. Granted, many authors have attempted to create a Koko-centric story that portrayed his character accurately, but the subtlety of yours was what set you apart from the rest to me.

Because this story is told with the benefit of Koko's hindsight, it is all the more effective in that it provides us with an overall tone filled with compunction and contrition- of not being able to be the best friend, of being second best. Also, that notion of being the second best- the 'side character'- is such an interesting idea, and it intrigued me because it addresses directly the lack of regard for side characters and absence of happy endings for such characters in so many stories. Ruka, for instance, saw no happy ending in sight (that is, before Fanfiction metamorphosed him into more of a main character and paired him with Hotaru). That's another point to make, really, because true, genuine, and unadulterated side characters (such as Mochu or Kitsuneme) never do get the spotlight. However, here, you have highlighted this injustice towards side characters in an almost satirical manner, and presented an ambiguous ending with which either such conformity could continue, or not.

This story, simple as it may seem, overflows with themes relevant to today. The first, and blatantly obvious, is that of becoming a mature individual. Maturity is not simply growing up and being able to do the things one has always dreamed of- it is about forgiveness, and the willingness to reconcile. While the two characters of Koko and Mochu were old enough to make their own decisions and pursue their respective lines of work at the beginning of the story, they were still childish and juvenile at heart. They saw each other as enemies in love despite their years of amity, and let a girl cleave their relationship, which capitalizes on the fact that they were unable to become the great adults that they so sought to be. However, as the story progresses, the characters do as well. The bond between Koko and Mochu is rekindled by the end of the story, and lost friendship has finally set sail on their shores.

It is as Gordon B. Hinckley has said: "“The willingness to forgive is a sign of spiritual and emotional maturity. It is one of the great virtues to which we all should aspire. Imagine a world filled with individuals willing both to apologize and to accept an apology. Is there any problem that could not be solved among people who possessed the humility and largeness of spirit and soul to do either - or both - when needed?”

Wow. Now, there is a great deal more I'd like to elaborate on, but this review is getting unnecessarily long, and I do not wish to burden you with all of my ramblings. I truly apologize that this review is all over the place; I haven't reviewed anyone in several months.

Thank you very, very much for posting this story. It has enlightened me and provoked emotions within me that I myself did not know I possessed. There is absolutely not a doubt in the world that your writing and imagination will propel you further in your writing career.

May you keep being an inspiration to the entire Fanfiction community! :-)
MikanMimi-kun chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
Cool
Mishaa chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
After a week of filing complaints, the company finally decided it would heed my pleas and fix my broadband.

I checked my email and this nice little surprise showed up. Wait, what the heck am I saying. Nice little surprise? I'MONMYFEETHYPERVENTILATING. It's not just a surprise. IT'S A, excuse the curse, FRICKING HEART ATTACK.

So I read on, as fast as my heart would allow me - which is to say, not very fast. I couldn't get past a sentence without stopping and savoring each word. I mean, you haven't updated in WEEKS (months?) and seeing your name on my email is a treasure in itself. My body's trained itself to savor every word you post online.

And you even wrote about my favorite character. As if I needed another reason to love you. It's even in his point of view! And it's not the usual two dimensional "koko-is-stupid-and-only-makes-jokes"! You know what you did? You breathed life into some side characters that I would have only otherwise considered as names on paper. You made them into real people with real problems. It's written in Koko's point of view, but I've never read a more life-filled Mochu in my life. Every other fic I know has him as Natsume's blind supporter. Or someone who's just there to fill in the spot of a friend, a bully, a goon.

I love how you tackled the Koko-Sumire-Mochu love story. I didn't get much of an insight of Sumire's point of view of things, but damn, I've never wished to be a GA character before, but now I wish I was her. I'd rather be her than little 2D Mary-Sue Mikan and her Gary-Stu Natsume.

I'm a big SumireKoko supporter, but when you put their story out like this, I just wish she ended up with Mochu instead. I thank you for leaving the cliffy end - making it look like Sumire could be with either of them, and as much as I'd like her to be with Mochu, I know deep down she's with Koko.

While reading the story, I had this nagging feeling in me that I've read something like this before. When you read, there are just some writers that can really amaze you, and bring out some strong feelings from just a few pages. The kinds of emotions this ignited in me... well, it's sort of familiar. I felt like I was reading something of John Green's. JOHN GREEN'S. I don't know how to stress that enough to really show the hugeness of it all. I'm not even sure I'm making sense here. To sum it up: I felt as if I was reading Looking For Alaska or even Paper Towns. I don't know what that implies, except that you're an exceptional writer and you need to write more stuff like this. Or maybe not, I don't think my heart can handle it. It might explode if I put it through more conflicting emotions.

With admiration,
Caratheincoherentblabber
dais chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
YOU'RE BACK! YOU'RE FINALLY BACK!
Prose Vanity chapter 1 . 7/31/2012
I'm going to review properly under a guest handle, but for now I really have to get this out: WHO DID SUMIRE CALL? Either I'm a completely slow idiot and I totally missed it (which means I'll have to reread the entire thing) or you are an awesome albeit eeveel writer (which means I'll have to reread the entire thing again).

I'll wait for this story to sink in first before I can come up with any decent reviews.

Cheers, Ate!
- Ashy
crimsoneyes44 chapter 1 . 7/30/2012
Loved the ending and the entire storyline.
Tension was palpable at some moments of the one-shot.
Dane chapter 1 . 7/26/2012
This is not so much a review of this long, wondrous tale about friends having a fallout and lovers falling out as it is an expression of my admiration. You're the only author in this fandom whose updates thrill me, whose stories I read and re-read regularly, and whose genius for writing even the least fleshed out GA characters and breathing life into them awes me to no end.

May your passion for this craft you certainly excel in never be trumped!
Annabelle Rae chapter 1 . 7/25/2012
I would like to apologize in advance if I my review comes off as incoherent and all over the place. I am fangirling now, you see.

I know that you see this in almost all your every reviews. Still though, I would like to say this: I absolutely adored this fic. I loved it. A lot, actually.

I've always been a fan of side characters. I am one of the few who aspire to shed them some light - to give them the attention they deserve. I am very happy, first of all, that you chose to write something these two characters I admire so much. I believe that they have more to them than how others make them out to be. They just have much more depth, I think.

This fic gave them justice.

You managed to portray Koko in a different manner - a happy person, still, with a memory he could never forget. With a past mistake he gave up on fixing. With a problem he couldn't bear to face. He was not, in any way, out of character. He had his regrets, yes, but he still retained his happy personality. You showed two sides of him, and everything in between. Thank you for that.

I think that a lot of best friends quarrel because of a girl. It's common, yet very beautifully written. I was really able to feel his emotions throughout the piece.

And the ending. Oh god, the ending! It was very... Inception-y. Like, I was left thinking, "Who did Sumire call? Please let it be Koko! I love KoMire! But I sort of feel bad for Mochu. Eh. But still. EHHHHH. :"

Oh, and may I add that I love the title, too? It's just... cool. And unique. And awesome.

This piece, all in all, was definitely touching. It gave us a little dose of reality, that even friendships thought to last forever could fall apart, and the ones responsible for fixing it up are only the people involved truly - no outsiders needed.

In a way, the ending made us sort of hope, but it really made us think. It made us even get more connected with the story, as we even have our own inputs for the ending. A good choice, really. :)

I have nothing else to say, besides the fact that this is very, very beautiful, and is definitely worth the wait. I'm sorry for putting off reviewing for too long; I had lots of things to do, you see. I'm sorry if this is all over the place, but yeah. I loved this. Enough said. Thank you, once again, for sharing such a beautiful piece.

Keep writing! :D
MoonCastic chapter 1 . 7/24/2012
And you said you didn't want to write Mochu and Sumire's break up, heh heh! Just kidding, I can totally see why, breakups are so drama filled and I wouldn't even know how to tackle it. As always, you did an amazing job! I love Koko a lot and I loved how you portrayed his internal struggles with his own Alice. Maybe it's a good thing you don't hear someone else's thoughts, after all.

Anyway! I'm so happy that you updated! I miss reading your work!
Akshatsinghal chapter 1 . 7/22/2012
A bit longer than your one shots but as gratifying as any. Definitely ten minutes well spent !

And the story was so heartwarming. I was nearly in tears by the end. One of your best works so far :')