Reviews for Steel and Blossoms
SantoryuuSalamander chapter 18 . 1/3/2014
*Slow clapping* wow the title of this chapter...not sure whether to laugh or cry. This story seems to tie in perfectly with the actual story and I seem to be regarding it all as canon XD
SantoryuuSalamander chapter 14 . 1/3/2014
Hey there! You probably don't remember but I used to go about my fanfiction business under a different name, I was once bakasalamander22. You helped me out on a project I was doing about the Edo period, well I've just recently finished said project that you sent me a bunch of references for. I dunno what grade I got yet but it was a whole year of researching my favourite time period and Sorachi-sensei's amazing characters in real life. It was a fun project and surprisingly I ended up writing more about Edo itself than the people, because it's just so interesting, thus my dissertation on "How did the Edo Period change culturally and socially?" was born and it was thanks to you! This fanfic is kinda what lead me to make the decision to choose Edo, and a year later I decided to revisit it to see if there had been any updates (I couldn't find it as my old account got deleted and I forgot the name). I found it eventually and I'm delighted to see your still going with it. This is without a doubt the best fanfic I've read, it's just so well written and researched and I deeply admire you for it (I can't write for shit). It's also nice to see someone who likes the Edo Period and Gintama as much as me. So thanks again for your help and thanks for writing such a brilliant story.

SantoryuuSalamander :)
18-Midori-37 chapter 19 . 12/19/2013
(Ah, indeed that was me, seems i didn't log in properly, but well ya figured it out just fine XD)
Woooooow!...really i aint got no words...another great chapter in addition to this already amazing story...I'm, how do I say? I have just like a lot of respect for Nishiko. And the title and dat last line, WOW impact much. Sorry Nada-sama, my reviews aren't much of reviews but in any case I'm glad to have read another chapter and I'm looking forward to more! w
Scot chapter 19 . 11/20/2013
Sup bro! (I'm back to annoy you some-more)

Hmm i don't know what to make of this... there was a severe lack of uno...

On the plus side, plot is progressing and i'm still hooked !
Machi chapter 19 . 11/19/2013
Wow I was right to read your latest chapters because they blew me away really. I can really feel it's the beginning of the end for them. And damn when Nishiko and Katsura will be able to have their conversation in the present ! It's the only thing that bothers me in your fic wich is otherwise very pleasant to read (well by pleasant I mean your fic is soul-crushing and really well written). Keep going Niente !
love at third sight chapter 19 . 11/19/2013
This story is such a gem. Original, fresh, and a great extension of canon material. I would have never thought much about the hole in Takasugi's eye if you had never written about it.

I've enjoyed so much of this. Thank you for the update. I look forward to the next chapter.

P.S. I read a lot of your posts on Yorozuya Soul. I haven't made an account yet. But I love your history posts.
Sakata-San chapter 19 . 11/19/2013
I can't to see Takasugi get back in the action.
ForgottenClown79 chapter 19 . 11/19/2013
Interesting chapter Nada thanks.
Sakata-San chapter 19 . 11/19/2013
Thanks for the update it was a good chapter.
Haitch chapter 19 . 11/18/2013
I am in so much pain right now it's not even funny. I'm not sure what happened to me between this chapter and the one before it that changed my emotional chemistry. You saw my most unedited reactions play out in real-time this time around, so there's no need to go into too much detail there, right?
Let's see. This chapter was really focused on what Takasugi was feeling, unlike most of the rest of the story (since he's been kind of wandering in and out of it, and we're never inside his head), and I think that was what really hit me. Hard. Insert some extended metaphor of pain here. But no, I didn't cry, it wasn't the same kind of feeling. All of the scenes where he was in pain (would it kill these people to not lose all the painkillers like wtf), so basically every time he was mentioned in the chapter or in his entire life after Shouyou-sensei died really, hurt me. Wow I shouldn't be writing a review like this.
The eye scene was more deeply disturbing than squicky in any way, but I have a weak stomach when it comes to medical procedures. You hinted a long time ago that the dagger would be involved here, so I fully expected it, but that didn't make it any less terrible. You have no idea how *real* the whole chapter was to me, it's like I was there and being traumatized by it. I suppose I'd call that good writing. ;)
Nishiko really is developing as a character, while at the same time taking over less of the story. I must say I admire her courage and loyalty, no matter what other people will say.
It was really Gintoki that takes the cake in this chapter. He wins the award of "character who emotionally compromised me most other than Takasugi today". The way he was defending Takasugi, threatening the people on the road, insisting everything would be all right. Just trying to reassure himself, not wanting to accept anything else. It was heartbreaking. This whole story was heartbreaking. I hope you're happy.
Murayama Tsuru chapter 19 . 11/18/2013
You have great timing, you know? Just when I need inspiration to keep writing myself, out comes a chapter of Steel and Blossoms. And, oh boy, that was a doozy of a chapter. It was really good, and I'm quite glad that you didn't go into too much detail about Nishiko cutting Taka's eye out. I admit, I was kind of dreading that part, despite anything I've said about Takasugi and wishing him a painful death, I'm more than a little squeamish about medical stuff and blood. But, I'm glad I didn't have to skim over that part. Also, you almost got me crying in that chapter. Takasugi's laughter at the sight of his eye missing really got to me...it was sort of my reaction to when Ito Kamotaro died as well. He was another character (before I had even read Gintama) that I didn't especially like. So, when he showed up in GIntama and betrayed the Shinsengumi, I was like 'Yeah, I want those guys to beat you!' but then, at the end, I was in tears about his backstory and his death. And I don't really know why I'm telling you this...Anyway, we have the same experiences with GIntama. Watching the show helped me start writing as well (not quite the same, but still). There, surprisingly enough, was a time when I didn't like Gintama at all (though, I like it now, so that's what matters). And had I been writing when I started Naruto, that's probably the fandom I would be mainly writing for. But, I'm glad it was Gintama because I get to read all these lovely stories here. As usual, I seem to have gone on some random tangent. Well, can't wait for the next chapter.
-村山鶴
farispie chapter 19 . 11/18/2013
Well, I don't exactly know where to start on this to be honest.

We'll let's go with the eye scene first. I gotta say, I knew that Takasugi was missing his eye and all, but it didn't hit me of how he lost it after the Amanto slashed it. The scene was quite powerful. From Gintoki's tough front, Nishiko's absolute pain, and of course Takasugi's suffering all reallly has put the character build up front.

Also, Takasugi's bitter joke about "the girls won't pick me up now!" bit was the icing on top of the delicious cake .

As noted before, I think Nishiko is really coming on her own and I think she's at least a bit more of a walking plot device now.

I don't think I have any particular issues with this chapter.

So yay for basically morphing my head canon once again , Nada! Keep up the good work and make sure to to include smut next time for fanservice *shot*
BlueBlizzard1725 chapter 19 . 11/18/2013
Seeing this update made me jump with glee. Seriously.
When Nishiko started cleaning the knife, I began to get worried. When she was about to cut his eye out, I curled into a ball, buried my head into a pillow and made strange noises while demanding how I could possibly keep reading. After several seconds of that, I just jumped back into it and all I can say now is "Takasugi!"
I feel so bad for him. I can't imagine how much that would hurt. The wound, and everything he's going through.

Anyway, I sware I've been waiting for this chapter since the story began and it does not disappoint. I can't recall if I already asked this, but how long do you plan on making this fic? Long, hopefully. I know that re-reading the entire thing will be quite entertaining one day.
Guest chapter 18 . 9/17/2013
*giggling* Hehehe, I'm sorry...? XD no i'm not, i said "DO IT!" and ya did, w00t! *takes deep breath* wow, was that a crazy read or was that a crazy read? phew, lots of feelz as always. and I applaud ya Nada-sama, I may not be the best judge and this may have been the hardest thing to write for you but i say it came out fantastic! b Dunno what else to say really i mean, it's a great read, it's coming along beautifully, and i'm excited as ever for more! 33
farispie chapter 18 . 9/17/2013
Finally, FINALLY WE GOT TO THE SCENE FROM SHIROYASHA KOUTAN!

I can now see why all the build up was required. I also am pretty happy with Nishiko's direction . I mean , you really can see what Takasugi can do to a person, and the horrible circumstances of war certainly don't help.

All the fight scenes were pretty nicely written, and I imagined the fight in my head without any problems. I don't have any problems with this chapter really, and keep up the good work.

Ps: Zura/Nishiko ftw, word of god be damned :) (I kid I kid).