Reviews for Wish I Was the Moon
Chyme for the Rhyme chapter 1 . 8/28
This is a rather mature tale about growing up and learning how to balance your own personal selfishness with truth and desire - Katara lies to herself quite a lot at the start of this, pressing down her own wants and needs to make room for accommodating Aang's. But then she builds up resentment for him, acts impulsively with Zuko and really is a little unfair to everyone. Zuko right when he calls her out, when he's angry with her, but he's also fair enough to know that he is at fault too. But then perhaps that's because he's already gone on his journey of self-discovery throughout the coarse of the series and he's gained things through being by himself so often in contrast to Katara who has always been surrounded by people and so has never really had the chance to learn. It might also speak as to why he never sets on after her while she's disappeared. He of all people can understand why someone might need to break away and discover themselves.

And I like how this attitude is reflected by the people Katara meets. Jia, who firmly brushes aside Katara's probing answer of 'alone?' to point out that being alone isn't bad and is something everyone needs to master, not only because it's something everyone inevitably experiances but because we can't fall back into regret and let resentment cloud our judgement over things we didn't chase - hello, Katara's state of mind at the start of this fic! I also like the quiet respect and understanding between Katara and Chief Arnook, how he doesn't push her about where she's been or who she should be in contact with - just giving her the letters and letting her make her choice. And their nice conversation about Yue. It felt as though you were fleshing out a man we never really got to know that well, and it spoke as to how Yue might have grown up so certain of herself in such a patriarchal culture.

I just love how everyone keeps reinstating that Katara has to learn to assert herself within the navigation of a relationship. It's not a lack of confidence that holds her back, just that motherly need to take care of everybody, to push down what she wants to protect everyone. And I also found the letters hopelessly in character. Bless Sokka for being, well, Sokka.

And I liked how quite and almost understated her reunion with Zuko was, a far cry from their passionate italicised past at the beginning. They've grown into a more comfortable and secure place with themselves. And that's the basis of any healthy relationship.
EternityRoze262 chapter 1 . 8/26
I like the pacing of this story :) Isn't it great that Zutara week is such a motivator to finishing Zutara projects? Haha. And my middle name is also Jia! xD Really nice that we were able to travel with Katara as she went on her own journey and how it all leads back to what she wants.

~Roze
Lord Melkor chapter 1 . 6/15
That was amazing! I think the ending was a bit weak in that you could've developed it more but fuck this is a 10k one-shot, and that just feels like nit -picking.
Ogg chapter 1 . 3/21
It's happy but so sad. What even is currently occurring.
MADStar529 chapter 1 . 11/1/2015
Great story. So beautiful. And very well done. Loved it.
Kintora chapter 1 . 9/15/2015
And this monster of a one-shot had me tearing up. I think what you've touched on in this story is integral and in some ways, more important than the fluff (although fluff is important in its own way too.)

Great story. Love this perspective!
Vena Grey chapter 1 . 4/13/2015
Beautiful character study. I love that Zuko didn't go looking for her - she needed that time to roam.
babyvfan chapter 1 . 11/8/2014
Oh my god, this was TOO FUCKING GOOOD. I loved it
icarianred chapter 1 . 7/6/2014
this is absolutely breath taking but i'm sure you've heard everything in terms of praise for your writing. what i want to tell you is that you made me realize what i've been doing wrong. i have been unhappy for the longest time without knowing why. and then i read this story, and breathe in the truth of it, and realize what has been missing. i want to thank you for nudging me in the right direction. i'd sooner find happiness if i had the indulgence of just leaving and not telling anyone where and why i'm going. but i dont and that's okay. i find that leaving is only one option. i'm going to have a hard time finding out what i need to do for myself but, (i hope) like Katara, i'd find my way. thank you. -hannah hunt
mecaka chapter 1 . 6/24/2014
This was really good!
ophxlia chapter 1 . 5/26/2014
I'm sorry that I'm too lazy to establish more of an opinion, but I'm actually crying right now. This marvelous story sent me on an emotional rollercoaster ride, and I loved every word of it. Fantastic job.
peter pan's horcrux chapter 1 . 5/8/2014
I think I grew as a person just from reading this (in between crying some more about Zutara OOPS).

This was stunning, I don't really have words to justify how beautiful this is and I feel bad because this deserves one thousand amazingly long and in-depth reviews, but you've left me speechless. I cried and I laughed and I don't normally love OCs like I do canon, but I think I just found the exceptions (Jia and Stack) to that rule.

I dunno, I feel like I'm tainting this flawlessness with my awkward words. I guess just thank you for writing this? Haha :)
a spark in the embers chapter 1 . 1/29/2014
Thank you. We need more character growth fics.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/4/2014
i love this fic! so sad yet sweet! :)
2BeRini chapter 1 . 12/14/2013
wow . . .
i don't know how i missed this gem!

this whole story read wonderfully. when reading, i felt i was like one of the gods or goddess on mount olympus looking down on everything while it's happening. not many authors can do that but you gave off that feeling just perfectly for me.

i love how once katara leaves the FN, she removes herself from expectations (aang) & temptation (zuko). during this time away, katara learns more about herself and what she really wants. from jia she learns that real love isn't safe & living a life of "what ifs" isn't a life at all. katara learns how to live without regret, something that she wasn't ready or willing to do six years prior. it's a year of growing pains, but it's neccessary because the way she was living prior with aang was slowly killing her spirit.

& the way you completed the story - perfection. katara comes full circle. the beginning of of her tale starts in the FN with her running away from her love. the end of this tale ends in the FN with her returning to her love.

instant favorite! wonderful job!