Reviews for You're Not Just Whistling, Dixie
Kamkats chapter 1 . 1/26
Oh my gosh! BEST STORY EVER! I just love how this played out, like an actual episode. Why WAS this NOT an EPISODE? I especially liked Dixie's relationship with Johnny. That's the one I always hoped for in the series, nothing too far, just harmless and fun. I also loved Kel's jealousy and his anger when he thought Johnny might do something inappropriate to Dixie! And her singing career back story? SO convincing and realistic! I loved it when she sang to poor Johnny! He couldn't handle it! And it would be really up Gage's alley to go off and tell Roy a secret he had promised to KEEP A SECRET! SO JG. I also liked how you mixed in Julie London's previous career before Emergency! and then putting into her character, Dixie McCall. :) You know that I'll add this to my favs! Really well-written and I saw the whole thing in my head. Absolutely beautiful! :)
I know you wrote this fourteen years ago, but I wanted to let you know that I loved it. Way back when, my late mother told me that Julie, as well as Bobby, had careers as singers long before they starred in Emergency! And a year or so later, I found Julie's first album, My Name is Julie, in a used record store.

Long before ff net, I used to daydream about a show where Julie and or Bobby got to sing on the show, but except for Bobby, who sang about 16 bars in the pilot episode, it never happened, so I would write little scenarios in my head. You handled this whole story perfectly. My only quibble is you have Johnny talking about Kerokie (sp) and as someone who was around then, and even sang a few times, I can tell you that that fad didn't come about until the mid 80's. There was a litle club inside a hotel I used to frequent in the late 1970's that had a piano player that knew every showtune in the world, and people would go in there and sing! Your story brings ba k some very fond memories. Thank ou for writing it!
Ryn chapter 1 . 8/8/2014
Loved this! Very cute how you mingled Julie London with Marie Ireland with Dixie McCall! I especially enjoyed Johnny's comment that he finally won Dixie over for a date , Just too cute!
Daze chapter 1 . 3/27/2012
I appreciated your story and I liked how you used Mrs. London's true calling as a Jazz singer and incorporated it into her Dixie McCall character, would've been great if she was in the USO since Dixie was in Korea. Nicely done.
Jelsemium chapter 1 . 7/4/2011
Ha ha ha! Loved this! "Marie Ireland" indeed. Great job!
starlight guardian chapter 1 . 6/22/2011
WOW! Very entertaining, you finish reading this with a smile on your face. Thank you.
Hanksgirl chapter 1 . 1/29/2009
Great story! I'm sure Julie London would have loved it!
Dixie chapter 1 . 1/27/2004
Ok, that was wonderful. I love it. It's even inspired me to check out Julie London as a singer. I've heard her a few times, but would really like to hear her voice again. Great Story.
virgil-t-stone chapter 1 . 11/5/2002
Great job, You really know your stuff on Emergency... bit of trivia for you. The hand at the end that holds the stamp and swings the hammer, any idea who it is? It's none otehr then jack Webb himself the creator or producer which ever he was.
Lorna chapter 1 . 9/22/2001
What can I say except this was a wonderful treat. I loved your characterization and vivid descriptions.
Deana chapter 1 . 5/4/2001
Hi! Your story was great! It was adorable, lol, I could see Kel standing there with his mouth hanging open, LOL! I'm a writer too, I have Hawaii Five-O stories all over the web, (but none on this one, LOL) Got anymore? Kel is my favorite on E! Deana :)
Kathy chapter 1 . 3/27/2001
This story was great. I love it when writers take real life things and make them part of the character's life.

I loved the jealous of Dr. Brackett and how Dixie let him sweat through it. That was so classic.

You captured the characters very true to life, I could see this happening.

Thanks for a wondeful story.
scifan101 chapter 1 . 3/16/2001
Great story! You are a great writer.
Wanda chapter 1 . 11/16/2000
That was great! Simply fantastic. I used to watch Emergency when it was first on the air and have recently gotten back into on TVland. This story was just like reading a script to the show. No errors. no strikes, this was a homerun! So sad te hear about Julie London's passing. She was a great gal. I think she would have enjoyed this story and the reference to her singing career. Great job!
Audrey Brackett1 chapter 1 . 10/2/2000
Hehehe-I know I told you this before (heck, it's on my site!) but...well, I still love it!