Reviews for Perhaps Not the Best Idea
Abracadebra chapter 1 . 9/4/2019
Mrs Pencil’s latest poem, “This Is the Cooler,” prompted me to both watch the episode again and reread this story. It is really quite a gem, a very well imagined take on the burden of command and the tribulations of being a common soldier. I think I gave this story short shrift when I read it seven years ago. As I reread it now it stands out as an fine example of the missing scene genre.
mrspencil chapter 1 . 8/29/2019
Well put...this did seem an unnecessarily risky move to insist on, with a potentially very high cost.
NickTonyK chapter 1 . 10/26/2012
Excellent!
Hoganfan chapter 1 . 8/17/2012
It's a good story. It puts me in mind of a story I heard about George Washington encouraging a member of his army to be brave the next day and his own regrets about what had to happen. The young man had deserted and Washington had been forced to order his execution. However, it occurs to me that this conversation might have occurred before Newkirk went out. In other episodes, Hogan gave his men a chance to talk about any misgivings prior to their assignments, such as when Carter pretended to be an expert in chemical warfare to gain the location of a secret German base. Otherwise, it was a very good effort.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 8/1/2012
Very well-done look behind the scenes of this episode. I re-watched it and Captain Kurtz was as smarmy as ever! But I confess I hadn't thought deeply about the chances Hogan took in exposing Kurtz for the low-down dirty snake that he was. I think this was partly because of Newkirk's behavior right after he was shot at...his smart-alecky remarks were so typically Newkirk I hadn't thought much about what a traumatic experience that truly would have been for him.

But you show quite clearly in this story all of Newkirk's inevitable reaction to his brush with death, and his very understandable resentment of being put in harm's way. A really thoughtful look at the responsibilities Hogan shoulders, too, and I think Hogan explains his actions very well, ill-advised though they might have been.
Marie1964 chapter 1 . 7/28/2012
Haven't seen this episode yet, but really enjoyed this story. Newkirk has every right to be angry at Hogan about what happened, but I'm glad the two were able to talk it out. Nice touch with LeBeau ordering Hogan to do something.
Abracadebra chapter 1 . 7/28/2012
Nice one shot! I forgot about this episode. I have only seen a few of them in recent years, mostly on YouTube, and I really need to find time to rematch some of them!
piceamariana chapter 1 . 7/28/2012
Well done! I could really feel the tension in the first part.

I always thought Newkirk might be annoyed at Hogan when it came to the events in that episode. You answered the question perfectly!
Rosea chapter 1 . 7/27/2012
Very nicely done. I thought that that episode needed something a bit extra to it. I was considering trying to write it myself, but I think you've done a much better job than I could have.

Rosea
Deana chapter 1 . 7/27/2012
You read my mind! This episode came on TV last night (or the night before, I don't remember which) and I said to myself, OMG, Newkirk must've nearly had a heart attack! The scene was quite 'scary' for a Hogan's Heroes episode...they were always so light-hearted and silly, that to see how close he came to being shot full of holes was a shock. I bet when the episode first aired, that scene really surprised the viewers and reminded them just how dangerous their 'work' really was!

Great job with this! Post another one soon! ;-)
buggleston chapter 1 . 7/27/2012
Wonderful one-shot always wondered how Newkirk felt and he had a right to be a little snippy with Colonel Hogan but he did appologized for the Carter's protectiveness of Newkirk. LOL the ending had me really laughing and loved how you left the ending!That was perfect !
ColHogan chapter 1 . 7/27/2012
One of my favorite episodes. I never liked Kurtz with his smugness and arrogance. And I don't blame Newkirk for being snippy with Hogan in the beginning as he could have been shot and killed. Thankfully he wasn't. Also glad to see the two of them managed to resolve their differences and that Hogan apologized to Newkirk immediately. Also, loved how Carter stood up to Hogan about Newkirk.
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 7/27/2012
Left me with a grin after reading. Nice job! I haven't seen this episode recently. Did Hogan get Newkirk's sentence reduced?