Reviews for War of the Worlds: Retaliation
BigFriendlyGun9000 chapter 21 . 12/14/2012
That was awesome. How in depth you took it, the forming of a Martian government...just great. I didn't like the elimination of all Martians, however. I at least thought there would be a truce of sorts (in that small corner of the mind Rommel refers to). I liked it!
Charity Angel chapter 21 . 12/13/2012
I haven't been able to put this down. Your brave new world is engaging and completely believable. The fact that you also included the Martians' POV is marvellous and I was actually a bit disappointed when Hashzh died. Kudos for a fantastic piece of writing.
Chen ZiXin chapter 21 . 12/12/2012
And thus this great story has been brought to its conclusion. It is a pity that the unification of the Earth shattered immediately after the Martian threat is gone, but it is to be expected. Zhukov's situation, whilst one I was fully expecting, was something that I really had hoped would not happen to him... both of these go to show that 'Victory' does not mean a 'good ending', which many stories out there fail to reflect.

I must say that this story has been one of my favourites, so far, for its reference to both history and other fictional works, and for its excellent style and plot. It has been a pleasure reading this work.
Wingman1 chapter 21 . 12/11/2012
great story, loved this!
Chen ZiXin chapter 19 . 12/9/2012
Ah. Just when I thought at the end of the previous chapter that humanity had finally won we are reminded of Hashzh's secret ploy. It seems that the war isn't quite over just yet, then, with one last threat for Earth to overcome.
BigFriendlyGun9000 chapter 16 . 11/23/2012
So they finally meet! The space ark seems like a reasonable follow up to the hype. Great!
Also, Beria got what he deserved! Awesome!
Chen ZiXin chapter 16 . 11/22/2012
I must say, I was truly hoping that the 'magnificent bastard' quote would be referenced, and it seems that it has come to fruition. As had many other things, in this chapter (I shall refrain from actually saying the content here, of course, in fear that it may spoil things for other readers). Indeed, things have reached the climax phase, I believe. I shall be eagerly awaiting your next update.
Chen ZiXin chapter 15 . 11/19/2012
Excellent chapter, especially since it seems to tie into the previous chapter. Finally, it seems, that the 'alliance' is actually going to prove it's name. I wonder if a multinational force of two SPA regiments, a Russian infantry company and a battle-walker regiment will be sufficient to defeat this mysterious threat. Likewise, I wonder what this mysterious threat is.
BigFriendlyGun9000 chapter 14 . 11/17/2012
Well, that's a teeny bit of a cliffhanger! Zhukov deserved a chapter all to himself. I loved it.
BigFriendlyGun9000 chapter 13 . 10/26/2012
Well, it's hard to say who's winning here...the Martians are falling like flies, but the Earthlings are taking massive casualties too. Heck, they just lost two ships. And with the Final Plan finally coming into place...It's very uncertain. Great!
Chen ZiXin chapter 11 . 10/14/2012
I quite like how this story is set in what would have been the transition period before the development of proper mobilised combined arms assaults between the two world wars in our time line. It seems that many historical figures that become generals in the second world war like Patton and Rommel are trying to press for a revolution in tactics from the older infantry based trench-style warfare, and it is really interesting seeing how field commanders can see potential where higher-ups cannot (since the higher ups sit safely in their own offices and don't see the fighting first hand). I'm really interested in how this clash of doctrine and innovation will end up, and what new tactics may result.
BigFriendlyGun9000 chapter 10 . 10/12/2012
Nice. Really brings up the supense! Both armies are about to launch offensives. Let's hope they run into each other-for story's sake.
James7912b chapter 10 . 9/30/2012
I enjoy how you balance the combat with the behind the scenes leadership decisions and the dealings with the Martian leadership. Great seeing Hans von Seeckt in the mix. Being a student of the First World War I think its great to have him on the Human "Military All-Star" team.
BigFriendlyGun9000 chapter 9 . 9/21/2012
Well...that's a bit of a downer. Yeah, they could've, and it probably would've worked. And if the skies cleared, the jets and artillery would make quick work of the Martians. But, since they retreated, not only will the Martians recapture the city, but the French'll have to go through the same process again.

But I digress. This was a good chapter. I hope to hear from Patton and the American front soon.
Thresher chapter 9 . 9/18/2012
God, I hate De Gaulle. So very, very much.