Reviews for The Archdeacon and the Gypsy
Malakaii chapter 4 . 2/4
I loved it! Incredible read.
Malakaii chapter 3 . 2/4
It's taken me months to read this, and not in some insufferable, agonizing endurance, but because it's only four chapters and I was enraptured by the very first chapter, very first paragraph and I knew if I ate it as fast as I thought about it, I would have finished it in days. Of course, I didn't. I stretched it out and tried to enjoy your work as long as I could until the conclusion of the story. You're a wonderful writer. Now to part 4!
Yeghishe chapter 4 . 12/16/2014
I am in raptures. This was a lovely story with a pairing I never thought I could love so fiercely as I do now. Thank you!
Chris chapter 4 . 8/31/2014
I really enjoyed this story, I stumbled upon it by chance and I really couldn't imagine this pairing, and yet you made it work (while I have only seen the 1996 movie, I am aware of the differences with the book) it's really well written and the way the relationship developed was very believable.
G chapter 2 . 3/5/2014
"From years in the Crusades, Phoebus knew the Church was full of wily men who..."

That doesn't quite work. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is set at the end of the fifteenth century. France had not been involved in a Crusade since the fall of Acre in 1291. The closest thing taking place around this time were the resistance efforts to the Ottoman incursions into Wallachia and Moldova, and their war with Venice, and again, France was not involved in any direct way. Conceivably, Phoebus could have been there as a mercenary, but I doubt if it would have taught him much more about the Church than ordinary life would have. There were a lot of parodies and discontented rumblings about the Church going around at that time anyway.

Otherwise, an excellent tale. This is my third read-through and it's the first time I saw that error. It's fascinating to see the whole story turned on its head.
Psyko-chan chapter 4 . 3/3/2014
Lovely, lovely piece! Marvellous job! Thanks for sharing!
Ryuuko1 chapter 4 . 9/12/2013
16 Reviews is not nearly enough for the magnificence of this story.

Watched the video on your recommendation, thought it was interesting, and so began to read this piece of fiction (because it is no not fanfiction. So, so, not fanfiction). What I got was a tumultous journey of happiness and despair; love, not lust; hatred and intrigue and social mores and it was just beyond great.

The way you characterized Frollo in this piece was beautiful. I've never read the book and have only glancingly watched the Disney film, but you've truly brought him alive. His anguish, his resolution, his desire, his devotion, made him so human. The scene where he finally caves to his devotion, only to have it snatched away moments before its culmination, was heart-wrenching. That time and distance didn't embitter him to his situation or lessen his love for Esmeralda made it remarkable and painfully sweet. The way you make it a slow descent into love is also remarkable, as is the fact that you keep them chaste as per Frollo's vows until the end of the story when they are married.

The way you worked with Esmeralda was also fantastic. Having the woman chase after the man is, of course, nontraditional, and you made it work. Her plans and machinations to give them stolen time together, her persistence even in the face of repeated rebuttal, is spectacular. Her revenge against Phoebus was magnificently executed, detailed without being overly so. The help of her gypsy brethren in her escape and in her pursuit of Frollo was well done. You made her, too, a very human and sympathetic character who I was cheering on throughout the entire tale.

I also liked how you treated Phoebus. His aggressive envy, his rage, his possessiveness, his impulse towards revenge were all very good driving forces and contrasts to the 'purity' of devotion between of Frollo and Esmeralda. Part of me wishes he got his just dues, but I suppose that it's better for the villain to get away with some things. Afterall, we're never told the fallout of Esmeralda escaping.

Quasimodo was also treated fairly. We didn't see much of him, but he was a charmingly innocent character.

I don't always mind sappy endings, although I myself find them a challenge to write, and may or may not have done the 'vanish into the countryside to live happily ever after' trope myself...

There were a few stupid spelling mistakes, but nothing that really tripped me up in reading, and I don't remember any glaring grammar failings. Good job editing!

Long story short: I love you for writing this gem. I truly, truly wish that it could be published. You've also helped me out as a writer, since I now know why all my writing has been falling flat lately, so thank you for that as well. If only i could somehow bring you internet fame.

Suffer well,

Ryuuko1
firelily18 chapter 4 . 6/21/2013
I LOVE THIS!
Lita Snow chapter 4 . 2/17/2013
Eeeeeeeeeeeeee! I am intensely in love with this story! It was sooooo good. Your writing is amazing, so descriptive where it should be and the words are never repetitive. The story was great as well. I really loved it. Thanks for writing such a wonderful fic!
traces-on-a-page chapter 4 . 1/27/2013
I love this story. I started out as a Victor Hugo fan before becoming a fan of the Disney version. I love how you blended elements from the two and made such a captivating, well-written, and persuasive story. Thank you!
Claudum chapter 3 . 12/18/2012
Thank you ever so much for this wonderful story!
I wonder if you have listened to the musical Notre-dame de Paris... if not I very warmly recommend it... Frollo played by Daniel Lavoie is absolutely fantastic.
Please write some more of these stories, where Frollo is as amazing as I wish he was in the book :P
Piratechief chapter 4 . 12/3/2012
Wow, I can't believe this beautiful piece of work doesn't have more acknowledgment! I admit when I read the description I had my...doubts. But after reading this entire thing I want to slap myself for ever thinking such. This story is very beautifully written, I respect your word choice, style, and grammar. It's not everyday you meet a fan of a (let's face it) less popular category that can actually weave a captivating tale. Okay, maybe I'm getting a bit cheesy but I don't give a damn! I will be as cheesy as I have to to get my point across that you are an awesome writer! The characters are very well done and developed (though a far cry from the original, but hey, that was the point!) and I loved Frollo's internal struggles, the way he didn't give in until he was finally released from his vows. I respected Esmeralda as well for not immediately jumping his bones, and just the overall emotion in this story! It wasn't just another run-of-the-mill sex crazed fanfic (though who am I to talk? All mine are rated M...). Again, I'm amazed at how...well, AMAZING this was, and I'm so glad I got to have experienced it.
Weaver Blyx chapter 4 . 9/1/2012
Excellent story. I appreciate all the time and detail you put into this; you obviously love the characters and it shows! I also like how you've been so true to the book. Indeed, I often think this is how the book should have ended! So nice to see a version of Notre Dame de Paris with the proper ending. (Yes, I've always sympathized with Frollo. He really wasn't all that bad. Movie, yes. Book, no. And then in the movie he's just too much fun.)

Well, what can I say? Incredible work. Your style is enjoyable and concise. The characters are entirely true to form. I've half a mind to go back and review each chapter individually. This story deserves more attention than it's got!
Carmella chapter 4 . 8/19/2012
How sweet!
Person again chapter 4 . 8/18/2012
AHHHH SO GOOD! I love fluff…you've never written fluff before? You write it really well. This was an AWESOME story!