Reviews for The Archdeacon and the Gypsy
Great story, loved it :)
AP.Violin chapter 3 . 8/28/2016
This story was even better the second time I've read it 3
IMustHaveSaidItWrong chapter 4 . 8/23/2016
This is one of the best Frollo/Esmeralda fics I've ever read. Beautifully written, with care for the word choice, spelling, grammar... No matter the plot, such should every fanfiction be, polished to the every single dot between sentences. And the plot... well, I love when these two have a challenge upon them, and aren't just placed with each other without any tribulations... thank you very much for writing this, it was a pleasure to read!
Nine Bright Shiners chapter 4 . 6/7/2016
What a gorgeous story. It's the best story I've read in months. So tender and yearning and heartfelt, with some beautiful historical details too. I loved this role reversal - I wish the original story could have been like this one. Thank you so much for sharing. I adored your portrayal of their feelings for each other - so full of longing, and I loved seeing Frollo's struggles with his priesthood and his love for Esmeralda, and the way he adapted so quickly to being exiled because of the strength of his feelings for Esmeralda. The whole story was perfect. I know I'll be revisiting this story again and again. I wonder, are you at all familiar with the French musical Notre Dame de Paris? It has some lovely music, even though it does of course follow the story of the original so sadly Frollo and Esmeralda by no means end up together. For Frollo I recommend the song 'Ou-est t'elle?' - he has a lovely passionate few lines in the first minute, and I also adore the songs 'Lune' and 'Le Temps Des Cathedrales' sung by Clopin. I will now be going to check out your other stories :) I see you have written a few SS/HG stories! I'm excited to read them. Your Frollo actually reminded me of Snape in some ways. Thanks again for sharing this story - and gorgeous cover image by the way :)
AP.Violin chapter 4 . 9/29/2015
Awwwww :') will I be burned for heresey if I said that I prefer this to the original? :D
Guest chapter 4 . 9/11/2015
Beautiful
ThaiLegoCityLover chapter 4 . 8/28/2015
I love this so much.
Malakaii chapter 4 . 2/4/2015
I loved it! Incredible read.
Malakaii chapter 3 . 2/4/2015
It's taken me months to read this, and not in some insufferable, agonizing endurance, but because it's only four chapters and I was enraptured by the very first chapter, very first paragraph and I knew if I ate it as fast as I thought about it, I would have finished it in days. Of course, I didn't. I stretched it out and tried to enjoy your work as long as I could until the conclusion of the story. You're a wonderful writer. Now to part 4!
Yeghishe chapter 4 . 12/16/2014
I am in raptures. This was a lovely story with a pairing I never thought I could love so fiercely as I do now. Thank you!
Chris chapter 4 . 8/31/2014
I really enjoyed this story, I stumbled upon it by chance and I really couldn't imagine this pairing, and yet you made it work (while I have only seen the 1996 movie, I am aware of the differences with the book) it's really well written and the way the relationship developed was very believable.
G chapter 2 . 3/5/2014
"From years in the Crusades, Phoebus knew the Church was full of wily men who..."

That doesn't quite work. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is set at the end of the fifteenth century. France had not been involved in a Crusade since the fall of Acre in 1291. The closest thing taking place around this time were the resistance efforts to the Ottoman incursions into Wallachia and Moldova, and their war with Venice, and again, France was not involved in any direct way. Conceivably, Phoebus could have been there as a mercenary, but I doubt if it would have taught him much more about the Church than ordinary life would have. There were a lot of parodies and discontented rumblings about the Church going around at that time anyway.

Otherwise, an excellent tale. This is my third read-through and it's the first time I saw that error. It's fascinating to see the whole story turned on its head.
Psyko-chan chapter 4 . 3/3/2014
Lovely, lovely piece! Marvellous job! Thanks for sharing!
Ryuuko1 chapter 4 . 9/12/2013
16 Reviews is not nearly enough for the magnificence of this story.

Watched the video on your recommendation, thought it was interesting, and so began to read this piece of fiction (because it is no not fanfiction. So, so, not fanfiction). What I got was a tumultous journey of happiness and despair; love, not lust; hatred and intrigue and social mores and it was just beyond great.

The way you characterized Frollo in this piece was beautiful. I've never read the book and have only glancingly watched the Disney film, but you've truly brought him alive. His anguish, his resolution, his desire, his devotion, made him so human. The scene where he finally caves to his devotion, only to have it snatched away moments before its culmination, was heart-wrenching. That time and distance didn't embitter him to his situation or lessen his love for Esmeralda made it remarkable and painfully sweet. The way you make it a slow descent into love is also remarkable, as is the fact that you keep them chaste as per Frollo's vows until the end of the story when they are married.

The way you worked with Esmeralda was also fantastic. Having the woman chase after the man is, of course, nontraditional, and you made it work. Her plans and machinations to give them stolen time together, her persistence even in the face of repeated rebuttal, is spectacular. Her revenge against Phoebus was magnificently executed, detailed without being overly so. The help of her gypsy brethren in her escape and in her pursuit of Frollo was well done. You made her, too, a very human and sympathetic character who I was cheering on throughout the entire tale.

I also liked how you treated Phoebus. His aggressive envy, his rage, his possessiveness, his impulse towards revenge were all very good driving forces and contrasts to the 'purity' of devotion between of Frollo and Esmeralda. Part of me wishes he got his just dues, but I suppose that it's better for the villain to get away with some things. Afterall, we're never told the fallout of Esmeralda escaping.

Quasimodo was also treated fairly. We didn't see much of him, but he was a charmingly innocent character.

I don't always mind sappy endings, although I myself find them a challenge to write, and may or may not have done the 'vanish into the countryside to live happily ever after' trope myself...

There were a few stupid spelling mistakes, but nothing that really tripped me up in reading, and I don't remember any glaring grammar failings. Good job editing!

Long story short: I love you for writing this gem. I truly, truly wish that it could be published. You've also helped me out as a writer, since I now know why all my writing has been falling flat lately, so thank you for that as well. If only i could somehow bring you internet fame.

Suffer well,