Reviews for My Dad
Edward Carson chapter 7 . 10/14
I read it in one go. It's a compelling tale. I'm not sure I'd want to stay in Schooner Bay if the community is that flaky, but you did a good job portraying them, and also how rumour spreads. But the centrepiece here is the development of the relationship between the Captain and Candy, coupled with the coping with grief and emerging from it. All nicely done. As ancient as this series now is, it still pulls at the heartstrings because of the relationships between the characters.
Guest chapter 7 . 3/11/2014
Congratulations on completing an intricate and emotionally challenging work. Your take on 'Candy meets the Captain' was well done; they formed a great friendship over a short time. Enjoyed the Captain looking out for his family so well; and it was great to see him put everyone in their place at the school assembly. Jonathan's improvisation was great!

Poor Carolyn, I really felt for her; trying to keep her family together through all the shunning. Revisiting her husband's death with no one to comfort her was heartbreaking.

The family bond was strengthened so well. The kids, Carolyn, and Martha are lucky to have someone like the Captain at their backs, he's definitely the type of person to have in your corner when the chips are down.

I also liked Martha's no nonsense lecture to the townspeople.

Great work, I hope you write more for "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" sometime.
Upeasterner chapter 5 . 12/26/2013
Unmitigated fun! More, soon!
phantoms voice chapter 3 . 12/11/2012
oh, I really love this story...
PLEASE update soon !
Yva J chapter 3 . 10/7/2012
Holy cow, get a bunch of old bats together, and the result is a rumor mill like nobody's business.

It's very much like small towns, though. You've depicted it so perfectly.

What a great story this is turning into. Please write more, I'm putting it on alert and will be waiting with baited breath for more.
Yva J chapter 2 . 10/7/2012
I like your continuation of the story and am really glad that you decided to continue the story. I am enjoying how this one is unfolding. I do feel for Candy at the end of the chapter.
Yva J chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
Awww, this is just the sweetest story I have read in a long time. I can clearly understand what motivated Candy to write the story about Captain Gregg, and it's a wonderful way for the two of them to meet.

The realism of Candy's essay was something that I thought was very well done. To be so young and not remember her dad must have been hard when a teacher wanted an essay of this kind. Of course, it does leave me to wonder why it is that the teacher demanded such an assignment if she already knew that Candy's father was dead. Saying that Candy should have counseling is also rather pesumptuous. Of course, I know that teachers from 25 years ago were, in fact, that way at times. They made plenty of presumptions about me when I was that age, too.

So, all in all, a really good first chapter. Looking forward to reading the next chapter.
Guest chapter 3 . 8/20/2012
Boy, Candy really did stir things up, didn't she?

Great chapter, and I am anxious for more, but I am a bit confused about one thing. I am pretty sure homeschooling was not common in the late sixties,(at least in the US) unless you were so sick you couldn't come to school, like you had lukemia, or something. Other that this one point, great chapter!
VioletStella chapter 2 . 8/14/2012
I'm practically speechless from your citation of "Anniversary" in the notes. I'm touched and honored that the story inspired a continuation of this one. Thank you for dealing with the consequences of Candy's actions, you've delved into situations that require character development and you've ably explored those characters. Great work.
Upeasterner chapter 3 . 8/13/2012
Another lovely chapter with excellent dialogue! I also like the fact that you've created a Carolyn who's still pining for her husband while countenancing a new relationship with a ghost. It's a nice change, the nuance!
Tabitha12 chapter 2 . 8/11/2012
Oh dear - trust Penelope Hassenfinkle to get up in Candy's face about such a sensitive issue! (Ok, but I did love what Candy did to her) Kind of reminds me of a couple of times I had to do the same kind of thing... once a teacher sided with me, the other time we ended up in the Girl's Dean's Office.

Can't wait for the next chapter!
AnonymousLily chapter 2 . 8/8/2012
What a cliff hanger! I enjoyed Candy's take on how the captain was useful in keeping her mother unmarried- smart girl! I'm in shock about the view teachers had of parents- I can picture it more easily for now then in the past, lol!
Upeasterner chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
Very touching, poignant piece that captures beautifully what I think we all presume to be Candy's dilemma: Responsibility for her mom in the wake of a father's death. Your writing was so good you even make it believable that Candy doesn't feel hurt or left out. And . . . somehow gets him to admit he loves her mother while validating her feelings about her father. Chapter 2, please?!
gaylesam chapter 1 . 8/1/2012
Welcome to GaMM story telling - you've written such a wonderful piece here, and I truly loved how you captured both the dialog and 'spirit' of everyone at Gull Cottage. Can't wait to read your next piece!

GratefullyDead chapter 1 . 7/31/2012
What a great story! Very clever idea and you've executed it beautifully. Do write more stories for us.