Reviews for The Dreamer
Legendary Biologist chapter 1 . 10/26/2016
Now, this brings back so much memories of the movie...

That first paragraph sure has fantastic metaphors. Because the movie is a lot about floating and balloons, it's just right to compare dreams with balloons. And of course, that's Ellie's characterization to a T. She has always been dreaming of having great adventures after all.

"Don't you remember? I asked what color you wanted and you said, "RAINBOW!" - A little grammar nit here: the [RAINBOW!] is a speech within a speech, so the correct form of the punctuation is using single quotation marks and then ends it with the standard double quotation mark.

I really love the details you put on the mailbox, making the scene when the construction worker damages the mailbox even sadder. They painted it together and left a mark there. When Ellie dies, that mailbox is like Carl's memento of Ellie. How sad. :(

And how Carl commenting on the final product of their work and realizes that his and Ellie's handwriting is very similar is just so sweet. :D Thought you could trim this [wrote the symbol for "and"] into just a simple [drew an ampersand].

Ellie's way of reacting to Carl's carelessness is pretty sweet, too. Carl leaving a handprint on the mailbox by accident? Well, Ellie just adds one of her own. Sweetness!

I kinda think that the last paragraph is rather sudden. I thought you could add some hints at the first paragraph that the whole mailbox scene is a flashback. That aside, though, the paragraph itself is a very powerful and touching one and just fits the movie's spirit. Ellie may have gone, but her dreams are still around. And Carl just tries his best to make her dreams come true.

Well done!

PS. Since Up fandom is pretty dead, I thought you'd be interested in joining this forum. The forum is called "The Plight of the Little-Known Fandom", a support group for authors for small/dead fandoms. Here's the link:

www . fanfiction forum / The-Plight-of-the-Little-Known-Fandom / 178363 /

Just edit out the spaces. I'd love to see you there!
Guest chapter 1 . 6/7/2014
That was beautiful, and I loved the balloon metaphor in the beginning. A charming insight into that scene, and marvelous characterizations. You should be proud.
UPlover chapter 1 . 7/30/2012