Reviews for Connecting The Dots
lillyindy chapter 12 . 3/14
I enjoyed your story. Felt like a new episode. I particularly liked the quotes to start off each chapter..gives additional pondering. Thanks for writing.
JJ Rust chapter 12 . 8/11/2013
Great ending! Loved the battle with the werewolf becoming part of Kolchak's battle to end the threat of the dot painting. Very cool how his wounded arm become his means of achieving victory. Plus, a great way to end it by having Carl use what Pops told him to take control of his vampire dream.

One little typo I caught: "it got worst" should be "it got worse."

Loved this story. Keep up the good work.
JJ Rust chapter 11 . 8/11/2013
Good chapter. Boy, Carl can play the con man when he wants. Act like you know what you're doing, keep the other party off balance by not giving them time to think, and BAM MORRIS! you get your way.

We, now to see how this baby ends.
JJ Rust chapter 10 . 8/11/2013
GREAT CHAPTER! Excellent job on the whole conversation between Kolchak and the dream guy. I really liked everything that was said about how most people cannot or will not control their dreams and how chaotic they are, and Kolchak struggling to understand and yet be treated like "a small child."

Brilliant twist with the picture in the camera's memory card!

JJ Rust chapter 9 . 8/9/2013
Good chapter. I like how now were seeing more physical effects on Kolchak when it comes to his lack of sleep. But at least the guy is making progress. I really enjoyed the conversation with the law office and using Emily like he did. Clever stuff.

"I hate Muzak." Just another nice little touch that makes Kolchak relate to the readers.

"You look like death on toast." Wicked cool phrase.

JJ Rust chapter 8 . 8/5/2013
Sounds like Carl is getting closer to the truth, given how people are starting to clam up. I like how things are progressing. Also, nice to see Carl try to crack this case on very little sleep. I do like to see heroes go through some pain, or in this case exhaustion, in trying to reach their goal. It adds a nice human quality to them.

JJ Rust chapter 7 . 7/28/2013
Whoa! The clues are mounting up now. Great interview segment there with Carl and Connie. Nice job of showing some reluctance on Connie's part to share her story. Can't wait to see where this leads.

Some typos I caught:
"endear you to your editor" I think you meant "endear you to my editor"

"loosing her innocence" should be "losing her innocence"

"some body" should be "somebody"

JJ Rust chapter 6 . 7/25/2013
Good chapter. I have to say your dialogue is excellent! It all sounds natural and you can see the characters' personalities come out in it. Carl's behavior throughout this is very believable. Most people working on a lack of sleep have a short fuse to begin with, now add the weird dreams to it and, yeah, Carl would easily pop off at everyone. Carl's confession and fears over his nightmares also make him sound very human.

Now we're getting some more information about these dream injuries. I wonder where this will lead.

JJ Rust chapter 5 . 7/23/2013
Good chapter. This is really getting strange. What's going on where's Kolchak's dreams are hurting him?

Love the mystery. Keep up the good work.
JJ Rust chapter 4 . 7/20/2013
Good chapter. The dialogue is very natural. Heck of a twist with bullet holes not caused by bullets. Can't wait to see how that could have happened. Again, I like the job you do with Kolchak's voice. I can really hear Darren McGavin in my head when I read this.

JJ Rust chapter 3 . 7/4/2013
Good chapter. I really liked the dream sequences. Intense and creepy. And what an end to the chapter. Curious to find out what's going on with Carl.

One little typo: "alright" should be "all right."

JJ Rust chapter 2 . 6/30/2013
Good chapter. Very good job of capturing Kolchak's voice. I really like how you show how all his experiences are affecting him, with all the nightmares he's having. Anyone who has seen what Kolchak has seen would have to have nightmares from time to time. It makes him more human and relatable to the reader.

One minor technical thing. Since Kolchak was set in the 1970s, he wouldn't be using a digital recorder. I'm a radio reporter, myself, and I didn't start using one until the 2000s. He'd likely still be using cassette tape recorders.

Excellent job. Keep up the good work.
JJ Rust chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
Great beginning! Great job on Kolchak's thoughts when he realizes there is no way out of it, and still tries to use his head to find a way to keep from living life as a vampire. Very good descriptions of the moments before the bite. Nice job drawing out the tension.

LuckyLadybug chapter 12 . 11/20/2012
What an intense finale! The scene on the ship is so vivid, the terror so real. And I love the reappearance of the old man. :)

I think that's the first time I've heard of Russian roulette being played with an actual roulette wheel instead of a gun.

I figured out Kolchak would use blood before it actually happened! I'm guessing the wound had to be real in order for the blood on the painting to be real and seal the portal, but owwww! Poor Kolchak!

I love how you go back to the original dream from the beginning and have Kolchak put what he's learned to good use. I would have liked to have seen one more mention of Tony, but regardless, this was a very good ending.

Excellent, exciting story! Kolchak's voice is perfect all the way through, as are the other characters' when they appear. I look forward to reading more.
LuckyLadybug chapter 11 . 11/20/2012
Oh, Tony, I love you. Best part of the chapter. :)

LOL, Ms. Hoyt's reaction to being asked how she's slept lately.

And yay, Kolchak has saved the world from another copy of the dangerous painting! Now, for the real thing.