Reviews for Good Men
TortoisetheStoryteller chapter 1 . 6/16
This is what should have happened. Thank you for writing this.
Werde Spinner chapter 1 . 1/16
I. CRIED. ACTUAL. TEARS. This masterfully crafted conversation is all I've ever asked for. THANK YOU.
mana chapter 1 . 7/5/2014
that was awesome it changed my perception of everything in the books and it just hit best recent fic
fringeperson chapter 1 . 5/13/2014
Thank you for writing this. Thank you.
MADStar529 chapter 1 . 3/8/2014
Much better ending. Loved it.
Zexs chapter 1 . 11/23/2013
The sad thing is this could have easly become canon with just one conversation
Firebirdie chapter 1 . 10/29/2013
Oh my god, Anakin and Obi-Wan actually having a conversation about their issues and secrets that doesn't end in a pointless shouting match? AWESOME. Sappy this may be, but it's the good kind of sap. The kind that provides a sliver of hope that maybe, just maybe, these characters might not be quite as hopelessly doomed to tragedy as expected. (By which I mean: yay, fix-it! :D)

Nice insight into the differences between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan as Masters. Qui-Gon's selective affections are often glossed over; Obi-Wan's difficulties connecting to Anakin make so much more sense in this light.

Well done. :)
miarath chapter 1 . 7/17/2013
Wow! This was really touching.
Love it very much.
misakigirl chapter 1 . 5/18/2013
I really liked your characterization, especially Anakin's. It shines throughout the movies that, while Obi-Wan did love Anakin, he just never knew how to express them and Anakin never say them. Besides their different backgrounds, IMO, Obi-Wan's and Anakin's personalities are too different to show their feelings in the same way.

But, returning to Anakin, I agree with you in that he put Qui-Gon in a pedestal and sometimes wished that Qui-Gon had been his master. He's really naive and, at age 9 and just been freed, he would have never thought about the repercussions of Qui-Gon taking him as a padawan, while he would have been left with the impression that Obi-Wan only trained him because of this promise to Qui-Gon, never pausing to analyze their changing relationship or the fact that a promise could have changed into a more brotherly or fatherly affection.
Jayim Duinara chapter 1 . 4/28/2013
I don't know how this got onto my favorites list without me telling you how awesome it is! Brilliant, brilliant characterization. I don't find this to be sappy, it's just the sort of breakdown/breakthrough for them that I like to read. Thank you so very much for writing! D
HazySunray chapter 1 . 4/2/2013
Hahahaha I love the part where Anakin's like "are you encouraging this?" and Obi-Wan's like "Well, as the baby is already on its way, I see no way of DIScouraging it" xD
Great work! You captured their bond perfectly! I love the flow from Obi-Wan's past into the present and how the truth is revealed for not just Anakin but for all readers.
Sin of the Fallen chapter 1 . 11/8/2012
Sappy but awesome. I can totally see this happening in canon.
StarCaptain299 chapter 1 . 11/1/2012
Of all the alternate universes I have read so far- this is the one I wish actually happened.
'sniff sniff' excuse me, I need tissue, I have something in my eye...
AniIsaProcrastin chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
YES! This is beautiful- so well done, so sweet, and then, even better, turns into a saving-the-galaxy-and-Ani-from-the-Dark-Side fic! (Do another chapter saying how they defeat Palpatine and tell the Council?)
Valairy Scot chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
Well, I'm sure Qui-Gon was a tad bit more fond of Obi-Wan than it seems, but - still, the point is not disputed, just the degree. Loved this:

Qui-Gon had cherished Xanatos while the light still held sway in him, and Anakin had always known he was cherished by the tall Jedi who freed him from slavery. The affection had been blindingly obvious. And Obi-Wan?

"Qui-Gon never… cherished you, did he?" Anakin stated in a soft voice.

Obi-Wan's only answer was to bow his head lower.

Anakin had greatly respected Qui-Gon Jinn, well unto his adulthood. Idolized him, even. Put him on pedestal no one else could ever reach, let alone match or outgrow. Most days, he had wished Obi-Wan were more like him. Warm, friendly, wise, generous, a maverick… a truly good man. He had thought Obi-Wan less of a man, and less of a Jedi, than Qui-Gon because he lacked that warmth and vitality.

But now?

It seemed like warmth and friendliness were things Qui-Gon Jinn had selectively employed with certain people, Anakin being one of them.

Obi-Wan had not been so lucky.

Did truly wise, warm, and generous men leave one boy out to dry in order to cherish another in his stead? Did a truly good man leave a boy he had practically raised, in order to take up another boy with more urgency than the first boy had ever been given? Anakin couldn't even spare a second to doubt his answer.

The definition of a truly good man now became something entirely different for Anakin. His entire world shifted on its axis to make way for a better description, an even more honest and faithful adaptation of the fairytale ideals his mother instilled in him as a small child.

A truly good man took what he was given and never complained, because he thought of others first. A truly good man took a child in without question or bitterness, because of a promise made as another man lay dying. A good man cried over the death of someone who had hated him. And a good man offered to tell painful tales to his former apprentice in order to help him understand something he had never taken the time to know.

A sincerely good man – wishing to help but not knowing how, wishing to be loved but not knowing why – had been sitting right in front of Anakin Skywalker all along.