Reviews for Article 37
Uglybug chapter 1 . 5/15/2013
A seriously satisfying story. I hope Geary gets that beating he so richly deserves.
cd11 chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
A very good tale
Nana56 chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
Oh dear! What a horrible group of men! Not too surprised most of them came from Chicago. Too bad they carried the name of my state, tho. :( War sucks and does stuff to people, but they don't have to act like pigs. Glad the rest of the Army didn't like them, either.

Very nice fic.

The Lincoln Presidential Museum here in Springfield is one of my favorite places to go. I love history and that time, in particular. If you ever get up this way, I'd be happy to take you there. :)
Alter Ego chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
I dunno, Badger...Slim makes some pretty smart choices from a tactical point of view in this one. He channels his enemies' avenues of approach and restricts their fields of fire, limits their maneuver capability, and then occupies and does not relinquish the high ground. Plus his initial METTT analysis is pretty spot on (mission, enemy, time, troops available, terrain), prompting him to call for reinforcements.

Clearly officer material!

(Fortitudine)
Badgergater chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
See, i told ya' Slim ain't prudent... LOL
NokuMarieDeux chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
I was impressed with this story on several levels: First, by your (and the other authors!) general knowledge of the American Civil War.

Rules of conduct notwithstanding, men are men and desperate soldiers are fallible. Leaders with uncompromised principles are somewhat thin on the ground (any war, any era) and it's good to be reminded that Slim Sherman was such a man long before we were first introduced to him.

This displays a dimension to Slim I'd previously disregarded (being a devotee of... you know... the other guy). His concern for and interaction with a woman so far outside his social strata underscores my belief that it would not have been unreasonable, as an educated man, for him to have later chosen a bride from a different culture. (He would have been a sociocultural anthropologist's wet dream, n'est-ce pas?)
Tess chapter 1 . 8/3/2012
I thought it was Hochbauer not Hofbauer. Now I will have to watch the movie again to be sure - what a shame.
Tess chapter 1 . 8/3/2012
Watched Star Trail, season 1, shortly before reading this. The good/bad sheriff explains how each man draws his own line - one side right,one side wrong. This story is another fine example of Slim's line. Rather a hard read - but a wonderful portrait of the Slim we know and love. Thanks.
Fortitudine chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
Right film, wrong actor, Cat. The incomparable Ben Johnson played Sgt Tyree. Michael Dugan played First Sergeant Hofbauer.

But I'm tickled pink that somebody picked up on the reference!
Cat chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
Good back-story! Sounds like Slim all right, do the right thing every time.

Sgt Hoffbauer now... Funny, I believe "Corproal Hoffbauer" was played by Ben Johnson in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" . . . but I could be wrong. (Where did I put that video?)

Point of fact: the forehead is the thichest part of the skull, so if Slim shattered THAT, he hit him with the force of a mule's kick or better! I prefer to think he smashed him at junction of forehead and nose, but that's just my opinion and doesn't change anything.

Enjoyable reading, thank you!