Reviews for With Each Year
Flyere chapter 19 . 10/10/2013
Great story! I'm presuming Victor had died, right?
Flintlightning chapter 19 . 9/29/2013
I think apart of me has just died inside. This story is so perfect and Victor felt so real to me. A lot of authors just give careers personalities of monsters. This might be the best OC story I've ever read. And Pearl I can't...
horsegirl0403 chapter 19 . 8/6/2013
Aww, that's sad
cherrybubble chapter 19 . 4/3/2013
Oh my gosh, this story is amazing, but depressing!
Radio Free Death chapter 1 . 11/22/2012
Telling, telling, telling, telling. This is the one thing you should avoid at all costs. you're basically describing an entire scene to the reader through basically just telling straight to them. This entire scene is just one description, not a vivid scene. It would be much better if see them talk to each other, the dialogue exchange. It would tell us more about the characters than this impractical text would. Also, the whole deal about Cornelius laughing out loud by throwing back his head is way too over the top. He's also a stereotype, which is a cheap way of making a character and it prevents the reader from having to think.

Ways to improve: develop the characters, show interactions, don't be afraid of dialogue, and don't be afraid of making complex characters that don't rely on stereotypes.
Guest chapter 19 . 9/1/2012
Wait did Victor die and creepy ending
misshippopot chapter 19 . 9/1/2012
I'm confused, Did Victor die in the arena?
PurpleDurple chapter 19 . 9/1/2012
This story was truly a tragedy. It was written well and more people should read this. I loved it and it made me cry.
September Samstar chapter 19 . 8/31/2012
ahhhhh!
poor Victor. Your story is incredible., it's amazing, because usually the careers are very arrogant, Victor has depth and is a real person. Good job. ;D I love your story.
Anla'shok chapter 19 . 8/31/2012
That's actually a pretty awesome end.
The web of lies in District 1 is staggering. Maybe that's why District 2 has so many more victors lol. But destroying the family fabric and solidarity using training is pretty neat.
Anla'shok chapter 17 . 8/31/2012
Again, he should've been shown these images at 7 and told it was the ways of things, crippling a person's empathy is much easier than people like to think (think hard core racism, slavery...). The idea I'm getting here is that District 1 is a nest of rebels at heart, sure they're in denial about it but they're handling this in such a bad way (or Victor slipped through the cracks somehow, which is unlikely, since the instructors are probably paying very close attention to their few prized trainees of the upper years) that it's almost sad.

But, aside from that, the way you write his awakening is lovely to read.
Anla'shok chapter 16 . 8/31/2012
Why is bullying like what Jasper's doing wrong here? (there could be a lot of great reasons but I'd like to have yours)

Something that has been bugging me, why is the difference between female and male trainees so different. Training should wish to erase gender differences (I mean, giving 'weaker' girls huge weapons is counter productive, better build on what they are good at, but when Victor thinks about romantic girls going to dances, considering he basically only knows the ones in training, it means girls being trained are allowed to be more sensitive then guys, which is counter productive in the arena.)

I like the relationship he has with his sister and how training progresses.
Anla'shok chapter 13 . 8/31/2012
Feelings can be a very violent thing. Someone who was never taught about love might have a huge crush in the arena without knowing what it is and lose because of that. Being taught about feelings as something to fear, distrust and disdain is the more usual training type (in the countries that formed young soldiers to be merciless.)

Of course I'd like to hear your opinion on this and know why you picked this type of training

If his mother says she loves amethyst why is he wondering if love applies to humans?
Anla'shok chapter 10 . 8/31/2012
The last paragraph seems a big leap to make for a kid who loves their parents and Crystal handles this really badly. Especially since she has no way of enforcing it. And if she beats her kid to toughen him up for no reason it will just subdue him or make him hate her. Her husband and her seem to be in good terms with their parents, which conflicts with the way she's educating him (she's doing everything to make him hate her.)
It feels a bit like a convenient plot device...

Pearl's so candid it's cute.
Anla'shok chapter 6 . 8/31/2012
Why do they keep him in the shadow about what the arena is? if he grows up hearing about it, by the time he's old enough to understand, he won't challenge it because it's really natural. If he's told at 7 or 8, he'll ask many more questions and the acceptation process might be hard.
I'd not have pictured the Games or training as a taboo subject for little kids in One.
And wouldn't Victor ask?

Otherwise I love the domestic interaction.