Reviews for WRITING IN WATER Book 1: The Waterbender's Scroll
Dudeman1397 chapter 97 . 6/2
I've been reading his story for nearly two whole weeks now, and it's been a great read. It kind of shocks me that I hadn't found this story before, because I thought I had run out of new stories that would really capture my attention, but obviously I was wrong. Good job with the story.
TL7 chapter 97 . 4/29
I have a secret to tell you. Over the course of the last three months, I have gone on my own journey reading your adaptation of the ATLA story through Katara's eyes. I have laughed, I have pondered, I have cried, and I feel like this Fic is every bit as indispensible an experience as the series itself. There's really no way to describe how great a piece of work you did, but I will try my best to communicate it to you (I almost feel like I should be writing THIS in water ;). This is going to be long, but something tells me you don't mind considering how you enjoy writing long chapters with amazing detail.

First, let me just say thank you. Writing In Water was absolutely EPIC. For the longest time, I had been looking for something just like this, that delved deeply into the story, turning each and every rock over. Something that was written with the level of quality and attention to detail that could match the show, while adding more details and RESPECTING canon. Thank you for exploring Aang and Katara's relationship, which is one of the most sincere and well-told examples of what love is suppose to be.

I have been a long-time Avatar fan. I'm an enormous fan of the series, of the characters, of Aang and Katara's relationship, and now I'm a huge fan of yours. I must have watched the series a dozen times through already, and really the only thing missing was more of everything. Thank you for somehow reading my (and countless other fans) mind and writing EXACTLY what I wanted. I still can't believe that someone else thought just like me about how the deeper story should be told.

When I first found your Fic, you were only around chapter 25. I eagerly read it all while re-watching the series, but life got busy and I forgot to look for updates for over a year. Even with the first few chapters, I already knew that your Fic was "the one".

When I came back, I was delighted to see that you had finished writing it. I decided to give the Fic every ounce of attention it deserved, and went through it by watching each episode and then reading the concurrent chapters before moving on to the next episode.

What an epic journey I will never forget.

First, your attention to detail. I use to think I was a stickler for detail, but you blew me away. You managed to notice every tiny nuance in all of canon (TV and comics) and filled in amazing details that are just as good as any canon could be. In fact, often I found that your explanation of what happened behind the scenes was so perceptive of the tiny details and emotions of the characters that it helped make the show more complete. The characters thought and spoke exactly as they would have. There were many times when I could tell that you developed underlying stories and reasons that perfectly match on-screen actions, some of which were confusing on-screen, but made a whole lot of sense after reading between the lines through your Fic. It's written in a way where it might as well be canon, because the entire story is richer with your work being part of it.

A simple example is when Toph metal-bended the hole in the ship in the Awakening chapter. It was never discussed, but the ship was repaired, and your explanation fit perfectly.

Other examples I can recall:
- When you linked Sokka's erosion of confidence in Sokka's master all the way back to when he was stuck in the ground in Bitter Work.
- How you described Hama teaching Katara to bend water out of plants, and how Katara was able to feel it and then do it. This chapter almost felt like science - it was so precise.

Next, your acute perception of what defines/drives each character and what their personalities are like. You are truly an expert at answering questions like: "what would Katara say?", "what would Toph do?", "how would Aang react to this?", "how would Sokka solve that?".

Finally, your own beautiful canon that develops the story into something so complete that I am tempted to petition Bryan and Mike to accept it as an extended canon. If they really took the time to read your Fic, they'd know that either 1. it deserves to fit seamlessly into canon and IMPROVE the overall story or 2. they should offer you a job as a writer :).

Central to EVERYTHING is the way you developed Katara and Aang's relationship. It not only added layers to their amazing story, but reminded all of us why this is our favorite love story through and through. The irony is that the Kataang story pops up subtly here and there throughout the grand scope of the Avatar series as if it's secondary to the theme. But those of us who are really paying attention know that it is the core of the entire thing, and it's proven by the choice of scene at the beginning and ending of the show. Bryke said so themselves that Katara is the heart of the show, and the show is seemingly told through her. Aang's crush is wholly transparent right from the start and is shown growing every day. Katara's growth is every bit about her heart knowing what she wants before her head does. Her random jealous fits are absolutely adorable to behold, and you just know that she cares so much, she can't help herself. But at the same time, she doesn't know how to come out and say it, which left the audience of the show wondering until the end whether she really shared everything Aang felt. You captured this thread PERFECTLY and ran with it, to the delight of all of us.

I won't spoil the way you ended the story here in review, but all I can say is that you wrapped the whole story up in a way that left me delirious with amazement.

Please accept this long-winded note as a token of my praise to you. I will always be a huge fan of you and your talent. Thank you for creating such a rich universe for us fans.
Steeeveee chapter 97 . 4/9
This was amazing. I read it over the course of a week and it was just fantastic and enthralling! I'd definitely read it again :)
blueflame21 chapter 1 . 5/31/2015
This is an amazing story so far!
kataangfan1999 chapter 97 . 5/25/2015
Loved it!
ILikeMuffins chapter 97 . 3/27/2015
Well, it's taken me months to finish, but I've finally reached the end of this story. I can firmly say that this is one of the best stories I have ever read. You are an amazing author.
asiastana chapter 97 . 2/25/2015
This was awesome. All the romantic interactions reminded me of a Victorian novel as they had to be small! I still swoon over th hairbrush scene!
Gabby chapter 97 . 10/18/2014
Wow I can't believe that's the end. This was a great read and an interesting way to revisit Aang's story. I hope to see something new from you soon ;)
bigtomato chapter 88 . 7/26/2014
Such an awesome bit of writing...
Only thing missing really is an episode where the gang come to better appreciate all the chores Katara does daily and without complaint... cooking, cleaning, mending, etc. :)
Guest chapter 97 . 7/5/2014
I can't believe this fic ended 2.5 weeks ago already! I read it the day you posted it (although knowing it was the final chapter, I almost didn't because I didn't want to it to ever end) and have reread the entire fic again and I just want to say thank you. Thank you for writing this. Your dedication to writing almost a solid 2 years on this was everything I would have ever imagined to have happened had Bryke shown us all the extra details that you incorporated. I absolutely love this and I am so sad yet grateful that this is over but that it was done. I wish you all the best in the future and if writing will still play a large role, well you have a fan right here.

Once again, Thank you!
Alt-Ale chapter 3 . 7/1/2014
I like it :D
Alt-Ale chapter 1 . 7/1/2014
Just what I was looking for XD

Good luck :D from México.
Passing Obsession chapter 90 . 6/30/2014
I feel so sorry for the gang right now...But that was hilarious!
Passing Obsession chapter 85 . 6/30/2014
Katara is trying really hard not to be a Kataang shipper, and every time she decides to deprive us of Kataang-y feels, I scream "NNOOOOOOO!" Darn it, Katara, be Kataang-y already! :O
Passing Obsession chapter 83 . 6/30/2014
And this is why we love Sokka. Lesson learned.