Reviews for The Diagnosis
Supernurse chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
Your story is so compelling & realistic but especially hopeful. I have diagnosed one child with suspected auism & referred the family to pediatric neurology.

My oldest child was diagnosed at age 5 with attention deficit disorder with low IQ & minimal brain dysfunction. I remember crying & wondering what I did to 'cause' the problem. My husband just stompted out of the psychologist's office. We were told he might never complete school. My next response was to get every book I could find. My experience was pre-Internet. I went to school stores to buy any resource to provide further enrichment in his learning. We continued this through out his school years. We always maintained a positive attitude & involved our younger unaffected child in family educational activities. My oldest is now 37 yrs old with an MS & MBA degrees. My younger has an MA & MBA degrees.

All I can say is stay positive, hopeful & don't give up. You know your child better than any doctor/neurologist/psychologist. You'll see improvementsboth small steps & great. Take it from a mother who knows how you fell.
Saissa chapter 1 . 8/30/2012
I firmly beleive that the MMR vaccine causes Autism. I have read far too many stories of children who have been damaged by vaccines to NOT beleive that, despite the scientists who claim that there is no causality.
I have also read several of Temple Grandin's books. Have you seen the movie based on her life starring Claire Danes? It's called Temple Grandin, it was made in 2010 and is a TV movie biopic, but I found it on DVD at my local library. It's also on Wikipedia as well.
I have also read a number of books about parents who have used early intervention to bring their autistic kids back from the depths of autism and got them functioning again in our world.
This was a very interesting story. Thank you.
JamesTKent chapter 1 . 8/7/2012
I've known several autistic children, and any number of adults with Asperger's Syndrome. There ARE things that can be done. Many people with problems along the autistic spectrum can live productive, happy lives.

There's actually some evidence to indicate that science fiction fans, particularly those who attend conventions, may have a greater frequency of Asperger's syndrome than the general population, and you'll find a large number of the really specialized engineers and mathematicians are affected to some degree. I used to work with some brilliant scientists at JPL who had no social skills whatsoever, and had to be reminded to bathe and change their socks.

Thank you for this.