Reviews for Rust and Tarnish
LapinNoire chapter 15 . 9/12/2013
Oh God that was so good... You put us all to shame, really...
After such a long time of veritable silence in this fandom it's really nice to see you're still here, holding the fort as it were :)
I love the fact that Quistis' unwillingness to leave him almost seems like a disability:
"Not that kind of person," I reply instead.
"No…you never were." I can hear regret in his voice.
This bit - to me at least - read as though Seifer was disappointed that she was never hard enough for SeeD, as though her inability to leave people behind was what wound her up in these situations anyway, even from the orphanage days...
Seifer has always been my favourite character so I was getting a bit antsy until that bit at the end, thinking we'd not get anything from him haha
Sorry, it's hard to write this review and find interesting stuff to say, not just the usual "yeah, great, keep it up" and "you're doing great" just always seemed a little condescending to me.
The effects of the cold on Quistis were wonderfully protrayed, like an art form really. All too often the only real description of temperature is "it was unbarably cold, they went mad", but your 'dementia of the ice'... only those three words and yet they paint such a wonderful picture... Truely your grasp on your story is very thorough. Everything is displayed with such clarity...
The shifting of personality from his eyes to hers was so good it was almost tangible, as though he purposefully kindled his own fury to feed into her blood, as if his strength gave her strength, as if it was alright to use your anger for a greater means.
I hope this isn't a prelude to you killing them off or something 'They stumbled into the freezing shack and fell upon the floor, surprised and relieved that they had made it all the way through havensden without being seen and even more relieved that no one was waiting for them upon their return. Struggling to pull Seifer further inside so she could close the door, Quistis suddenly keeled over and died, howling "Oh it's got me! The Frostbite has got me! Oh no!"' Or something along those lines. I'm afraid I would be sorely tempted to do that if it were my story, but then I always go ahead and kill the characters off when things just start getting good :)
Anyway, rest assured I shall be watching this spot with great interest :D
-Lapin
RadicalEdward6 chapter 14 . 8/4/2013
Very interesting! But I can't wait to find out what happens to Seifer and Quistis!
Enige-Iets chapter 12 . 4/18/2013
Thank God for writers like you - huge gaps of nothingness and then a return with a chapter like this! The depth in this is amazing. It contains concepts I had never even considered...
I think when I get back to writing again, after the exams, I might use these concepts for my inspiration.
I wonder what the next chapter will contain... I hope a little of Seifer because his end of the story should be hotting up around about now, what with the impending attack on Trabia. I wonder how that's making him feel, doing it all over again... Is he also considering what Quistis would be doing while he's off destroying stuff? Is he reminiscing on how he turned out from the war?
I'm almost inspired to begin writing something now - even though I'm about to leap into my bed as soon as I can haha.
Well, good luck with the next chapter, I'm interested to know what happens next.
RadicalEdward6 chapter 12 . 4/17/2013
I'm glad you updated! I understand all too well how hard it is to write when life gets busy, so don't worry but I will be waiting patiently because I love this story!
Oddly Inspired chapter 11 . 2/27/2013
I have to say that I usually hate hate hate first-person narrative. But you use it so successfully, or maybe your writing is just good enough, that it hasn't bothered me at all.
I really hope that you continue with this, and update soon... this little section of the site has never been very active, but it's been extra-dead lately, and it's SO nice to see something that's A) been updated recently and B) actually good and worth reading. So, please, don't abandon this!
Einsamkeit chapter 11 . 12/16/2012
And the relationship is evolving :) It's gonna be interesting finding out what plan they think up, but it's going to be very difficult to execute without external help.
Enige-Iets chapter 11 . 12/15/2012
OHHHHHHHHH! Very nice! Finally we're beginning to get down to the nitty gritty, I like it, especially the chemistry between Seifer and Quistis. I like the fact that neither the war nor their progressing romance is getting in the way of the other, there are quite a few cases of fics on this site (and others) in which either the main point of the story or the romance is forfeited because someone gets pregnant or they get separated in the action and blah blah blah... I'm not saying getting separated in the action is reason to abandon the romance side of it, but quite often it seems like it's just been forgotten about... Which is a shame as everybody enjoys a bit of action and sexual tension here and there :D
You have held the fort admirably :D
RadicalEdward6 chapter 11 . 12/11/2012
Oh my gosh! I'm completely hooked. I can't wait for the next update!
RadicalEdward6 chapter 10 . 11/29/2012
This is so good, I can't wait for more!
Enige-Iets chapter 9 . 11/12/2012
Nice, very very nice. I am sorely looking forward to some action, I'm afraid it's been too long since I've read anything good, but I hope your talents as an author can deliver. No pressure ;)
Einsamkeit chapter 9 . 11/11/2012
Thank you for posting! and I'm already looking forward for the next chapter; this one prepared the story for tha action that's coming up. It seems like the progress in the Seifer/Quistis relationship is gonna have to wait, but that's ok, if I only wanted silly romance I would be reading a fluffy fic.
Einsamkeit chapter 8 . 11/4/2012
I am so glad to see some updates here! And I love that you keep the mystery regarding what happened at the beach but you are giving us some clues. And of course, we still have the mysteries of Havensden. I'll be waiting for the next chapter!
Enige-Iets chapter 7 . 10/24/2012
I like it :)
nikpt-o chapter 6 . 9/17/2012
I just read the whole 6 chapters in a row and I must say I'm impressed by your amazing writing skills. You gave the characters a maturity and a baggage that makes their interactions incredibly interesting. I'm dying to hear about their stories and to discover the changes this world has lived. The plot is so far spotless and it seems that you have thought everything through.
All in all, I'm loving this story: how everything is developing (the pace, the atmosphere) and your characterisations (and of course the coupling ;)). I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
Einsamkeit chapter 6 . 8/28/2012
I just started reading this story and I couldn't stop until I got to the last chapter. This looks really promising and I like how the characters are written, I think they seem very believable, even when thay have changed due to certain circumstances. I can't wait for the next update!