Reviews for Penance
andysanime chapter 1 . 8/13/2012
...AWWW *hugs Nate* I feel like I've said this a lot but... poor Nate! T.T
Twinchy chapter 1 . 8/6/2012
What an emotionally laden scene and heart-warming apology.

In the end, I believe none of the team was as surprised as Nate of how he was finally able to put into words what he had left unsaid before. Yet, just like on the job, they got through it together... and it helped a LOT.

I wasn't at all surprised at the team 'welcoming' Nate in a pretty gruff way upon his return and loved how you described them trying to appear less occupied with worry than anything else. The whole situation wasn't easy for Nate, not by any stretch of the imagination but it wasn't at all easy for the others, either.

Neither of them would have wanted to have to live with Nate shooting himself for their sakes right in front of their eyes - and that's not even considering the possibilily of their mark/captor killing them as well - , least of all Eliot who sees his job in protecting his team mates at all costs.

I think what truly helped Nate through this emotionally tense moment was the way each of the team didn't push too hard while pushing alright in their own way. Parker, with her childlike innocence, always adds a different perspective to things, and Hardison... he may be young but he is mature for his age, just like you wrote yourself. As for Sophie, she has her special way of suggesting rather than pushing with words, while Eliot always keeps pushing both physically and mentally, although he seems to have a pretty honed detection to stop before he goes too far (unless he wants to, as seen in "After the Storm").

They all need each other so much - as support, as a guide line, as friends and family - and Nate of all people knows that very well. It's probably the most important reason why he decided to go through with the penance in the first place, that he needed to mend the fences with his team instead of trying to brush things under the rug and just drown his emotional break-down in another glas of Whiskey... or ten.

*adds a really good helping of virtual cookies*
rivendellelve chapter 1 . 8/5/2012
Aww this fic is really beautiful. I alternated between laughing ("Mr. Slimy CEO", "Plan N" - hilarious) and close to tears wanting to give Nate a hug.

I can practically hear Sophie, Hardison and Parker talking all at once when Nate asks them to give him a break and I can see how Eliot just stands there, calm and he says "Let him talk." and he doesn't even have to raise his voice and they listen to him because he's just this badass.

and Nate's explanation? How he'd rather die than lose his team - I don't know what to say, it's just so much like Nate, not wanting to lose his only family.

So I just wanted to say I love this fic
gibbsrossi chapter 1 . 8/5/2012
excellent! :)
Sheherzade chapter 1 . 8/5/2012
I've really liked this saga. Cos honestly it shows that the team is Nate's achilles heel. The team is Sam to him, and he can't even think of going through that agony once again. Call him a coward if you must... But... As an old quote goes - "if you life to be 100, let me live a day less so i don't see a world without you." - that's how it is with him.
Sphinx chapter 1 . 8/5/2012
Wow. I truly, seriously, loved this. I love this whole series of fics, but this one was very nearly tear-inducing! Which is rare for me! Great, great work here!