Reviews for Some Semblance of Meaning
Hey Volcanic Lily! I read Some Semblance of Meaning about a year ago, I think, and I fell in love with it. Now i'm reding it again. This is the best fanfic I've read! :)
T. Alana M chapter 14 . 6/9
The main plot hasn't even started yet and I already love the characters. Can you PLEASE make a no-Hunger-Games oneshot where Valesidian babies happen and Kit goes on being snarky?
T. Alana M chapter 10 . 6/9
"...for as long as she lived." Kind of loses its meaning there...
T. Alana M chapter 4 . 6/9
Okay, I admit I just read a couple of the final chapters and the entire TV Tropes page of this fic before I wrote my last review, and only now am I reading it from the beginning so it didn't strike me just how *awful* the ending is. Maybelle's all ready to volunteer, and Averill could have been chosen... all that hype and worry, and they STILL die? :'(. Crueler than Suzanne Collins!
T. Alana M chapter 97 . 6/9
This was absolutely heartbreaking, with such a downer ending. GOOD JOB! It's actually a bit more realistic than the actual series, or at least there's less sugar coating. This fic is sort of like Battle Royale with more character development and humor. What I'm saying is, it's great. Great work.
Congratulations. You have created one of the few things that have brought me to tears when I read or watched them. I hope you're happy now.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
clara0414 chapter 97 . 5/4
Oh. I really thought Laurel would be going into the games at 16 and Glint at 17, and we'd be shipping them like Valesidian all over again, haha (except the Gamemakers would ensure that they died sooner, and as gruesome and punishing as possible). Ameline volunteering was so sweet, and of course, tragic, too.

(... And I'm an idiot. Go ahead and laugh - it literally took me 97 chapters to realize all the Whitakers' children's names rhymed. XD)

The Valesidian reunion was nice. (But you know what I actually miss? Vale's pragmatic voice. ;) ) The arena feels like a lifetime ago... Oh, wait, it probably was over a year ago, haha. Vale and Obsidian must be feeling so incredibly guilty, watching the Whitaker children arrive one year after another. At the end of the day, they were both still so innocent, still dreamers who remained kind of hopeful despite everything, and that was their downfall. :/

Glad to see Nerissa make a short return. I liked her. :')

Also liked the brief look into Hazelle, how she had already grown to be stronger than their mother before even stepping into her own first reaping. Loved her character in canon so much already, but this makes it even more beautiful.

One more year, and then it's Haymitch's Games. Was that the reason for choosing to start with the 44th? (Haha, maybe he drew the inspiration for the "star-crossed lovers" act from watching Vale and Obsidian's Games.)

I've heard that song so many times, but I actually never figured out its name. XD

As usual, update soon. :)
clara0414 chapter 96 . 5/3
(It feels odd to write reviews anymore. Lurking is so much harder and easier at the same time.)

Oh gosh, maybe all this death in SSoM has made me a sociopath now. XD I mean... I set out reading this chapter really hoping his Career training would still be able to get him out of the trap, or that some unexpected saviour would show up at the last second, but that didn't happen... and I actually found the ending so beautifully ironic. :D There's the fact that it happened in the same way he intended to trick them that he died, how Vale's necklace is the one that escapes the death this time, while Obsidian does not, how he escaped the arena of rain to be burnt with fire... The list probably goes on. (Okay, haha, I do have this /ever/-so-strange feeling I shouldn't be smiling after that scene... XD)

And wow, that piece of foreshadowing in your A/N at the beginning, too, about there being no fire despite the head Gamemaker's name? Gah, I should have seen something, but I totally didn't until it had already hit me at the end. ;)

I love that whole second-last paragraph (though stupid won't let me copy/paste anymore, argh), with all the fragmented thoughts. The "scorched away his scars" line is especially lovely.

... Um, is it bad if this is my favourite character death ever in this fic? XD (Unless he doesn't actually die, of course, which I guess wouldn't be so bad either. :P)

The short time he spent with the Whitakers was sweet... I guess I wasn't really expecting a happy ending, but I kind of hoped he would live long enough to meet Gale and spark his desire for rebellion with the "place without districts" story. Ah well. Maybe Hazelle picked up something.

I'm hoping we'll get to see how Castor and Pollux get to D13.

Oh, and this is off-topic, but I think I stumbled upon your tumblr blog. I'm not really a tumblr person, so the only page I frequented in the past three to four years was The 39 Fics, but recently, I saw your name listed in the Notes section underneath one of the posts as having "liked" it. So I clicked on it, since I figured the name was unlikely to be a coincidence, and then felt utterly confused about how to read stuff on tumblr for the next hour or so. Ctrlf wasn't helping my case, because more posts wouldn't load until I scrolled to the bottom, but I eventually found the pages of stuff tagged under "39 clues." It might take another week or two to read through all of that, ha, but it's entertaining and great for wasting time. XD

Anyway, it's been some days since I first opened the chapter, and I haven't refreshed the page, but when I clicked to read the reviews it turns out the new chapter has already been posted. Yay. I'll go off to read that now.
NorthernMage chapter 97 . 5/2
*stares in horror*

What.

I didn't even realise Sid was dead, I thought he survived.

And now you've gone and killed off two thirds of the Whitaker children.

I'm guessing this story doesn't have much longer to go.
StarTrail chapter 97 . 5/2
Oh. Wow.
panda chapter 96 . 4/20
Im that one encouraging reviewer this really touched my heart so update asap!
InsaneJJ chapter 39 . 3/30
To be honest, I started crying it was so sad, but the place without districts story was great! Kit was my favourite character an dim so sad right now. Thank you for the great story Lily.
elohelkae chapter 39 . 3/15
I've been reading this for god knows how many hours and I usually don't review until I get to the most recent chapters but I had to review this one because it broke my damn heart and I'm crying
Poor Kitty and poor Vale :'''(