Reviews for The Musings of a Brandybuck
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 1 . 4/5/2012
A great story. Very well written.
Vi Co chapter 1 . 3/22/2004
I really liked this piece. There were a few places where the wording was exceptional and caught the spirit of what I had always imagined that Merry and Pippin must have been feeling. However, the last paragraph seemed almost to switch time periods from the time of the books to after all of the action had been completed. The sentence length and phrasing seemed to fit in well with the rushed atmosphere, but the lyrical quality also fit with the slower pace of a musing. Overall very good and quite enjoyable to read!
Fashiondiva chapter 1 . 7/13/2003
That's nice. I really like it. It is quite impressive and masterfully written. You convey emotion with such clarity, and your words are a smooth as a ocean-beaten stone. Amazing. Write on!
two stupid gits chapter 1 . 9/28/2002
Wow that's a really good beginning!

Very original idea!

Thankyou for reviewing our story and adding us to your list: we now feel loved.

Keep writing this fic. I hate not getting any bloody reviews - it took us ages to get more than three - but just hang in there mate. People will realise you've a very talented fic here. Excellent work!
RachelStonebreaker chapter 1 . 8/15/2002
Huhmphf! I don't say that lightly or in derision. That's my breath coming out all in a whoosh. What a well written little vignette.

As Gilraen intimated, you could very well extend this story and get away with it.

I'm not sure if I, like Talking Hawk, found this story through someone else's review or if I saw it months ago sitting on the new story first page. I bookmarked it with a simple "should read this" note. I'm glad I did, and sorry that I didn't read and review it sooner. I see that you've only written two stories. You have MUCH more talent than to just let your story list sit at such a small number.

Consider writing more Merry fics. I'm a Meriadoc fan if you can't tell by my fics ;-) so, I'd love to read more. Email me when you post a new story, I don't get the chance to browse the stacks for good new stories and have to rely on others to tell me what's good to read.

I'm putting this story on my next "go read" comment in which ever story I write next, I think it's that nice a read; though I really would like to see more.

I especially liked the bit about Merry being an ambassador. THAT is a nice insight.

Hope to read more from you soon.
Talking Hawk chapter 1 . 7/23/2002
(Eyebrows shoot up.) Awwwww... Not only was that very well thought-out, but it was pretty durn sweet. ) I found you through a very long review you left for a story I was browsing through, and I was thinking, "Gee, if someone can find that much meaningful stuff to say, they've got to have a good fanfic or two." Well, even though you only have two stories posted at this time, I am very pleased to find that they're G and PG. I have ran across too much crud these past couple days, and this is a very refreshing change of pace. I thank you for it.

Isn't it funny how we writers always critique our own work more severely than we do others' or vice-versa? Well, I thought this was awesome. You got Merry nailed, and I loved the insights on him - how he was surrounded by Big People, how he wasn't "important," and my favorite part was the ambassador thing. And it's so true too. I bet a lot of people he met, whenever they hear the word "hobbit," will think about Meriadoc Brandybuck and, though despite his shortcomings as a person, he had the heart of any Big Person. (blinks back tears) Okay, now you got me all stirred up.

Did I mention that this was awesome? Short but sweet. Just how we like them. ) Two thumbs up.
Melilot Millstone chapter 1 . 7/10/2002
I love the part about just sitting and breathing with the people you trust. That is just a great way to word it. Your descriptions of the characters are amazing, especailly the one about Frodo, I loved that one. I'm glad you've written a fic where Merry isn't comic relief. I can't see anything that needs improving. This is beautifully written.
Gilraen chapter 1 . 6/30/2002
This is a great idea for a fic - Ive seen a few like it - and that is the problem.

You have a goldmine of writing talent here, and I can see that just by glancing at the layout. You've stayed as true as you can to Tolkien's works, and I love to see that in fanfiction.

But you need to make this piece stick out from the rest. You have the chance to put words into Merry's mouth, and you should do so.

You've used emotion here, that I like, but you need to give more. "Good writing can tug at the heartstrings with all its might, and it does no harm when it makes the reader blubber like a baby. Make us laugh, make us cry, make us hurt."

But so far, (and you've said this needs improving) You're onto a good one!

Keep it up