Reviews for The Rusty Engine
TexasDreamer01 chapter 1 . 1/6/2014
I like boo-boo, better, anyway. It's a cute nickname.
BiblioMatsuri chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
*claps* Because jobs don't get much more high-stress than that, and Zuko has at least learned to take some time to decompress.
FairladyZ2005 chapter 1 . 9/14/2012
How in the world did I not review this alread? Maybe I was saving it to read on a rainy day or something. Anyway, this is great! I love the well-rounded picture you paint of older Zuko here. His daughter is adorable and I liked how comforatable Zuko felt being a parent, and what I mean is despite his nervousness at answering her questions, he also seemed to a natural in his role as dad and letting his daughter see what he was doing, etc.

I like how much Zuko doesn't fit into the role of the "typical" Firelord, a theme I always enjoy writing about and seeing others write about and as usual your knowledge of mechanics and all things seaworthy lends weigh and interest to the story. I like Zuko's hobby of fixing things by hand. The TLA equivalent of fooling with cars. :-) It fits his personality but I was even more impressed with how this tied into the bigger theme of Zuko's need to "fix" things on his own (and wanting to get it all done in one day), making what he is doing both wonderfully theraputic, but excentrically obsessive at the same time.

I don't have the same criticism of Mai that Lunatique does, I guess her mellowing felt more natural to me. And Jee is always amusing. You also need to write more fics with Zuko and his daughter. I'd love to see one where he does have to start explaining more of the difficult stuff to her like the war and his scar. And I love that she calls Iroh, Grandpa, something I've used too in a recent fic. It's also fun finding ways to not mention her name isn't it. The nickname was cute, though I was half expecting her to call Zuko Yogi Bear. ;-) Also, while I think Jee's cane has been mentioned before, I can't recall if you showed Zuko carving it in another fic, if not, that would be another little scene I'd love to see from you.

Two minor nitpicks. While I can see Zuko having a few premature gray streaks in his hair due to stress, white streaks just sounds way too early, since people go gray before they go white (unless you know something scentific that I don't). Second, would Zuko need a welding torch being a firebender? Or perhaps he just doesn't trust his fire that much to create such a tight and focused beam in such an enclosed space, but it could show the evolution of his skill level. Just a thought.

Good job, and it was nice to see a new story posted.
A Fire Nation Citizen chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
I like this story. :)
maiko122 chapter 1 . 8/17/2012
Very nice story. I especially loved Zuko trying to tell his daughter about his banishment. He was looking for Uncle Aang...adorable. I haven't read the rest of the series so maybe I'll go do that now. I liked that the daughter's nickname was boo boo. Parents tend to call their children by nicknames when they are being affectionate and reserve the real name for times when they are in trouble. Or at least that was my experience.
Whitetree-Nimloth chapter 1 . 8/14/2012
I love how you picture older Zuko! Him finding it hard to stop once he starts is just so right. And Mai's awesome, but we already know that ;)
Carolnuts chapter 1 . 8/7/2012
I love how you let maiko's offspring's name a mystery! she's so cute!

and zuko is a totally paranoid fire lord,hoho, always fussing over little details and imagining conspirators everywhere! I like the idea of zuko being a good with engines and stuff, it gives him some sort of "hard working" appearence.

y'know, sexy.

love it!
Somariel chapter 1 . 8/7/2012
Awesome story. I can totally see this happening.
Lunatique chapter 1 . 8/7/2012
Squee this is so awesome! I love Zuko's characterization here, the heavy burden of his office and the clash between who he's expected to be and who he is, and the deep love he shares with his family. More than in any other story I've seen of him as Firelord, he is depicted here as a full and relatable man. Small details like the process of repairing the engine and the cultural differences between marine life and palace life are handled with a sensitive touch.

I also love the way you depicted his daughter and wrote the whole interaction without stepping on canon's toes. Both her adorableness and the kind of dad Zuko is came across vividly. You are a keen observer of details like children's behavior, a skill that is always valuable in a writer.

If I have a complaint it may be that the dialog toward the end with Mai is a little too sentimental, or pat. Mai as a teenager had a knack for verbal jabs. Compared to that her lines here seem saccharine, though I guess marriage, motherhood, and being a royal consort could change a person. She's still spot-on about people, though, and the way she helps Zuko put things in perspective is both in character and sweet.

Overall, I love how warm and human this story is. Your writing has gotten even better during your time away from fandom. Great job!