Reviews for Lock and Key
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 13 . 12/8/2012
Aw, this is, in a way, really sad. That poor, silly guy saw what he got himself into with Fanny far too late. If I had to quote the most outstanding line in this drabble, I'd have to copy the whole thing.
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 12 . 12/8/2012
"If she must live in a cage, it had damned well better be gilded." This is so unbelievably Fanny
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 11 . 12/8/2012
Glad to see you continued this! Loved the last line of this drabble.
Rosa Cotton chapter 10 . 10/14/2012
Lovely collection of snapshots, filled with darkness, tragedy, illumination, dreams, freedom, illusions.
Dickensian812 chapter 10 . 9/9/2012
These are great!
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 10 . 8/23/2012
Oh, Pancks. He's really awesome, especially at the end of the book. Loved how you described his defiance and how he finally snapped. It was also really sweet to have him think of the people of Bleeding Heart Yard as friends instead of numbers in an accountbook.
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 9 . 8/23/2012
'But she is not dreaming, and she is not mad. There is a secret in this house – a secret about Arthur, the only source of peace and sanity she has left.' Love it, especially because illused, scared Affery finally stands up for herself and Arthur. Really liked her description of Arthur by the way, after all, their respective situations in the house of Clennam were not all too different.
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 8 . 8/23/2012
Flintwinch is such a male chauvinist.
'Mrs. Clennam is damned clever, no denying it. Still, it galls him to be always taking orders from a woman – a crippled one, no less. He feels the need to snap at Affery more and more often, just to prove he has some power in this house.' I find this extremely plausible; his way of treating Affery is definitely his way of retaining a sense of power. You portrayed his hard nature very well by writing his brother's disappearance was almost worth the exposure of Mrs. Clennam's secret.
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 7 . 8/23/2012
How sad. Poor Pet, spoiled and naive as she is, she was definitely not well-equipped to marry such an unfeeling, cruelly indifferent husband.
'Moments like this combine, like little chips of ice into a hailstorm, and little by little it dawns on her exactly whom she has married. She sees the hollowness beneath that sparkling surface, the disappointment at losing what he never tried to earn. His utter indifference – to his work, his family, to her – is the most terrifying thing she's ever seen.' I loved this paragraph, I could absolutely imagine that their marriage would resemble this situation very strongly. I also liked the reference to their child; that's going to be a very unhappy family...
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 6 . 8/20/2012
Aww, Flora. She's a lovely character in her own ridiculous, somewhat tragic way.
'The problem with reality, according to her, is that it persists in interrupting what might otherwise be a very pleasant life.' I love this sentence; and I particularly enjoyed how you depicted her struggle to face change with dignity. Hope there'll be more, you're doing a great job cramming those complex people into poignant drabbles.
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 5 . 8/20/2012
A great chapter! I really enjoyed how Mrs. Clennam described Arthur as a son in everything but blood in her thoughts. And the last paragraph was perfect, very fitting indeed.
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 4 . 8/9/2012
It's great how you emphasized Mr. Dorrit's loss of reality, and how much he really appreciates and cares for Amy. I also liked the 'chained to his own pride' part. I really do hope that you'll add a lot more characters to this collection, as I'm sure it'd be as intriguing as those four were.
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 3 . 8/9/2012
Aww, I always thought Mr. Merdle's death was so tragically hilarious. It was intriguing reading a drabble about a minor character that's not so well-known, or rather not so thoroughly explored. Wanting to keep everything in order, asking for a knife with a darker handle ... it's really wonderfully bizarre.
'The parrot cannot read, and no one else will miss him.' Great mix between sadness and irony.
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 2 . 8/9/2012
'As for his birth mother's letter, it's enough to turn his cell as boundless as the universe.' That's such a sweet line, makes me feel really happy for Arthur.
Sheila Chiaroscura chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
Oh, that's lovely! (Not) escaping one's prison is such an important aspect of LD, and it's really interesting reading drabbles about each individual character's situation.
'Living for others, her greatest strength, is also her greatest weakness. Marrying Arthur Clennam is the most selfish thing she's ever done. She could not be happier.' Perfect, you did a great job packing Amy's character into just a few sentences.