Reviews for Bridge Over the Abyss
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 20 . 2/25/2009
For fear of you getting annoyed with me, I think I'm going to just put the review for chapter 20 and 21 in one review, and leave it at that for this story. Understand, though, that I am a big believer in leaving a review for each chapter, so if I had been reading this four or five years ago, I would have done that.

I loved your use of music in Chapter 21. Music is a huge part of my life, so I can understand and appreciate how it enhanced both the purification, and also Chichiri and Joss's time together.

Speaking of which, that had to be one of the most sensual sex scenes I've ever read. Again, your power of description amazes me. In my opinion, it really does take talent to write about something so intimate and keep it just that.

Now, on to chapter 21. I think that my suspicions that Joss is actually your sister were finally confirmed.

It made me happy to know that you acknowledge that when someone loves another enough to want to marry her, he doesn't get over her so quickly, even if it has been nearly two years. Perhaps when they meet again, though, Joss and Chichiri will be able to be together without the phantoms of the past swirling within them.

The last scene of the chapter brought tears to my eyes, but they are happy tears, because I know that I'll see them again in Hidden Paths. Which I'm going to read now. Oh, and I'm reading Casting Stones at the moment as well... loving the drama.
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 11 . 2/25/2009
So the Doctor is worried about what'll happen if Shun'u ever gets his hand on an incendiary device, huh? He has no idea...

Aww, he called her Nee-san. Though I don't think that he ever would have admitted his affections for her had he not fallen out of a tree and cracked his head in half.

I think my cats think I'm nuts, by the way (they watch me as I read). Every time something bad happens, I tend to squeak a bit with worry (not quite as strange at it sounds). And when something good happens, I tend to vocalize that as well (ah, the benefits of living by myself).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next chapter, which will hopefully feature Mitsukake, and also will feature some serious evil-bandit butt-kicking.
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 10 . 2/25/2009
Hehe... Naughty doctor. At least he's getting Houjun to finally admit that he feels something for the lovely lady Josselin. I'm a bit disappointed that nothing happened at the spring, but hey, I happen to know that one of the last chapters MORE than makes up for it, so I forgive them. :P

And I will say that, though I never really had a "favorite bishi" when I watched FY (Nuriko was my favorite character, but not in a "I want him" kind of way), White Stones pushed Tasuki to the top of my list. So I'm really glad that he got a more prominent role in this story.
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 9 . 2/25/2009
This whole chapter was adorable. Okay, except for the whole Kutou-warriors-showing-up-to-screw-everyone-up thing. But even that lent to the hilarity, since now the Doctor and Joss are "engaged." I really liked seeing fun!Saihitei, as opposed to sad, lonely Saihitei.

Also, I loved seeing little Nuriko/Kourin. Houjun is really going to touch the lives of all of the seishi, isn't he? And none of them are going to remember him? Hmm...
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 17 . 2/25/2009
Okay, I promise to go back and review the chapters between 8 and this one, but I just have to say

That was INTENSE! And amazingly well-written. I am officially in awe of your talents as a writer.

That's really all that I can say for this chapter. Brava!
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 8 . 2/25/2009
Sachiko is a little spitfire, isn't she? I would definitely want her on my team if I wanted to get something done. She seems to have a certain amount of luck in getting what she wants.

Joss's reaction to the announcement that she had to marry Saihitei was priceless. And I like that Lord Ashida told her to stop because it was upsetting the guard, not that she shouldn't be speaking to the emperor like that. And the whole "I'm not a virgin" thing, screamed into Chichiri's face, was hilarious. Even though it DID get them temporarily thrown in a cell.

Speaking of the cell, why thirty-seven? Tamahome noticed the same thing. It really does seem like a strange number of bars to have on a cell. I vote that they miscalculated when they carved out the first cell and placed the bars. They probably originally had thirty-six bars, and the got to the end and went "aw, dammit, there's too much space. I guess we'll have to add another bar." Then they had to make the other cells like that so that no one knew the mistake that they made.

Joss really isn't too keen on tact, is she? "Where'd you get the other eye?" LOL

Wow, I really leave long reviews, don't I? Sorry if you're getting annoyed. Though I suppose if you keep apologizing for long chapters, I can apologize for long reviews, right? I think that it's nice to comment on the whole chapter, though, not just what happens at the end. And, by the way, long chapters are awesome.
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 7 . 2/25/2009
So I get the feeling that by the end of this fic, Joss will be smited by Suzaku. :P

That said, I really do like her. As well as the other four characters you introduced. Especially the teens. I suspect that they'll get into a lot of mischief as the fic progresses.

"And as much confidence as I have in your abilities, my dear boy, I would just as soon avoid having any spells directed at my, er, pants." I laughed a lot from that line.

Ha, flying carpet. It does seem in keeping with the atmosphere of Mount Taikyoku, though.

Also, I loved your portrayal of Nyan, and especially the Doctor's treatment of her. And yay, it looks like Hotohori is going to be in this fic. And the others, too? *hopes) Although, if they meet everyone now, why don't they recognize Chichiri in the future?
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 6 . 2/24/2009
Once again, your talent with description is amazing. You rarely get to read of what it's like to drown and come back from the victim's point of view. And I loved the song that the Doctor sang. I don't think that I've heard it, so I'll have to look it up. But where did the doctor get a cello, of all things? Not that I'm complaining. I love the cello.

I'm glad that Chichiri is starting to heal from the horrible events surrounding the death of his friends and family. His story is heartbreaking, but I think that he'll ultimately be okay. Actually, I know that he'll be okay. Because he was (mostly) in White Stones. Yay. A "no da" or two would be reassuring, though, no da?

Naughty girl, watching Chichiri while he bathed. Although, if he looks half as good as your description of him, I really don't blame her. Ahh, who captured her? On to the next chapter to find out!

(BTW, I hope you don't mind that I'm reviewing most of your chapters all at once. It's a lot to put in your e-mail inbox. But I think you deserve it.)
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 5 . 2/24/2009
Ah ha, I was right. Kurayame was up to something. Grr to her for trying to kill the Doctor. Does this doctor actually have a name, by the way? It seems kinda weird that he introduces himself as "I'm the Doctor," but maybe that's how he does it in the show/books? I don't know.

Poor Toumo. And poor Chichiri. I can't help but think that Kurayami had something to do with whatever entered his mind, but at the same time, I also think that it was something else. Perhaps he is beginning to "gaze too long into the abyss," as he said in White Stones. Whatever it was, I really don't like it, because it caused him to hallucinate and nearly kill himself. That would have been terrible, if for no other reason than there wouldn't be much of a story from now on without him :P .

And I'm really interested in this girl, now. She is strong enough to get Suzaku to answer her prayers, though she is obviously not the Suzaku no Miko. I look forward to seeing more of her in the coming chapters.
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 4 . 2/24/2009
Okay, so first Maboroshi essentially tattles on Chichiri, then Kuryami is plotting something. And I don't think that it's anything good. What did Chichiri ever do to them? Okay, I know that Maboroshi is a bit jealous, but what's her excuse? And how does Magus know who the Doctor is? It's all very suspicious. I suppose I'll have to keep reading and see... :P
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 3 . 2/24/2009
So I've never seen Doctor Who, but I think that this Doctor seems like a very kind, wise man, exactly what Shouryuu needs. (I'm still having a hard time not thinking of him as Chichiri). I liked the fishing scene. Great meeting between the two of them, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more.
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 1 . 2/24/2009
Yay, the site isn't glitchy anymore. That means that I can review. Of course, it also means that I'll be reviewing as I go, instead of writing you one big review at the end. So you'll be getting a bunch of reviews at once. :D

Okay, chapter 1. I like that you started with the details of Chichiri's life that we got a glimpse of in White Stones (though he isn't Chichiri yet). Of course, this really was the beginning of making him who he was in the manga/anime. You did a very good job in going into detail where the anime kind of glossed over.
kitsunephoenix chapter 8 . 4/8/2008
Just reading a chapter when I can -

Do I detect a hint of Tamahome in Sachiko? -shrug- I don’t know why but she seems to remind me of him somehow… The earnestness? (if that’s even a word..)

Ahh, poor Hotohori. I’d have shut the man up long ago, I admire your patience.

You have beautiful descriptive passages, Roku-chan -

Mou! Hotohori! I’m sure Joss is going to be thrilled with your impressions of her…

Hah XD Lots of my favourite expressions being used in this fic - But you’re right Hotohori, this is going to be fun :D

The Doctor is truly determined to insult and argue with every member of the celestial family he meets, isn’t he? Heaven forbid he ever meets Seiryuu…

You know, one of my friend’s objections to the Doctor travelling with Chichiri was that the incarnation she knew (umm, 10th ish?) didn’t believe in magic. I’ve reminded her several times now that this is a different incarnation XD Besides, how can someone travel with Chichiri and not believe in magic? How could he have entered the world without gaining a slight feel for it? I’m slowly bringing her round to it, bear with me -

Taiitsukun’s still a little annoyed over her meeting with the Doctor, ne?

M…Marry Joss? While I’m sure they’d get along fairly well, I don’t think either of them want that..

Joss is going to explode when she finds out about this! And how old is Hotohori at this point? 14? Feh, damn political situations…

Hotohori… I suggest you run. Very far away.

Joss, and where you are right now you could be executed for what you’ve just said… But the feminine rights activist in me says, You go girl!

-laughs hysterically at the imagined expression on Hotohori’s face when Joss screams that-

Wow, Joss you managed to do so many bad things in a row just then XD I do hope she wakes up soon and gets our friends out of their predicament. I have a feeling Houjun’s not gonna do well with dungeons…

Just who was it that designed the room with 37 bars? Hmm, so Chichiri would recognise the room now…I love going back and rethinking about stories once you have more information on what happened before and placing it in context -

What exactly is a persimmon? I’ve come across it in Bleach too and it’s beginning to nag at me.

Aww, Houjun’s inner-revelations are so nicely put -

I love that last scene :D It was brilliant. I love your humour -

-squee- You mentioned Wicca! Sorry, not many people know of it’s existence.

And on that note, I bid you adieu for the moment Roku-chan -
Spak chapter 22 . 3/31/2008
Wow, it's been a -long- time. I first started watching FY around 2001, and entered the world of in 2002. I found White Stones not that long after, and lurked a fair bit before reviewing. How old does that make me feel! AH!

Coming back and finding your stories was prompted by two things - one, KL's journal and recent discussions about FY fanfic, and two - I found part of my old "Joss" costume, from over a year ago when I played a Changeling character that seemed to be a sampling of Joss, you, and The Doctor, with her own development along the way. "Joss Kyu" was laid to rest last March, when our Changeling game ended, and she went to be filed in that dusty place where things become distant memories, to be randomly awakened to surprise you someday.

I'm reading your stories in the order I first did - White Stones, Bridge, and I'll move on to Hidden Paths sometime this week or next. After that I plan to catch up on KL's stuff. The two of you got me hooked on the Tasuki/Miaka idea a long time ago.

I think I'll reread my FY manga sometime this summer, too. And perhaps have a "meatspace" gathering with Tenshi, who I ran into at the bookstore some months ago and owe a hangout to. Perhaps it will be FY related.

I don't know how to describe this, other than it feels like coming home after a long trip. Your stories feel like old friends, as real to me as my favourite books that I've kept for a long time, to skim again when I feel nostalgic. I know I have printouts of White Stones and Bridge in binders -somewhere-, from back before I owned a laptop and could lie in bed reading on the computer without a problem.
kitsunephoenix chapter 7 . 3/27/2008
It deleted my review for this chapter... -.- think I said something along the lines of:

I now love Joss - She's made me laugh so much in the first half of this chapter - Her and her new companions :D

Ooh, Joss and Sai-san? This is going to be fun.

Ahh, poor Chichiri. Modern expressions not your forte, ne?

The conversations between Chichiri and the Doctor are written fabulously, both the serious and the light-hearted ones -

Much better introduction to Mt Taikyoku for Chichiri. I never really agreed with his Gaiden either. Too much was left out (a problem I had with Tasuki's) and how would he learn everything he knows from wandering around with Nyan and fighting mosters? Surely some studying would have been involved at some point.

So, do you always great dangerously large cats that way, Doctor? You are going to give poor Chiri a heart attack XD

... And irritate the heck out of Taiitsukun. I like the Doctor, Roku. He's shaping up to be a favourite of mine :D

My, my, Taitsukun isn't having too much of a good time with your characters is she? Not that I'm complaining XD

Well, this is ceratinly a twist. And considering most of the seishi are still rather young at this point. This is definately going to be fun -

Eh? Is that a representation of being Chichiri, a representation of his large amount of power, both, or something completely new?

Hmm, the Doctor has most definately piqued my interest now.

Ahh, now I'm guessing that Chichiri is going to learn to control the face the mask presents? Well, I'll have to read on to find out.

... Yup, definately gonna give Chiri a heart attack. XD

See! And as the length of the chapter increases so does the review. Feh, I ramble too much..