Reviews for Night
owlhero chapter 5 . 11/17/2012
Stupid site logged me out...

Very anticlimatic but revealing at the same time. I supposed we listened to the heroic version? I am thinking maybe he does not want Cody to hear of his failings and his hero worship.

But what does that say about him then? His strength?... What does it say about his strength to stop lying to himself after his lies were thrown into his face and his deeper self revealed? Who else would do the same?

Here comes the massive guilt and resentment from his soul. I had to laugh a little at the mockery in his words. I mean its somehow funny. Even if what he spoke of was morbid.

Another thing to point out is the repeated emphasis on himself with "I" being used constantly. Its almost like he regrets what he is or what he became but is dealing with it even he grasps as anything to maintain his pitful but maybe sane state of mind. At the same time, he is hearing Cody's rebuttals inside his own head. Or at least that's the first things I think of when I see the words.

Its like the ashes of the events are burying him in some fashion. As the truth can be crippling sometimes. Here the question is it worth it to face the truth or run away from it? If only to keep one's sanity and the hope of others alive. Even if its false hope. Sometimes its better to die having something positive than being swallowed up by darkness.

But for Zack, its too late. The fire is gone. The heat has vanished. His soul is destroyed. The ending seems like the condemned walking to their deaths. Their marching feet matching the beat of the drums as they fight to the death.
Guest chapter 5 . 11/17/2012

owlhero chapter 4 . 11/11/2012
After seemingly so long, here it is: my review.

Having Zack face Jayden makes it seem like his animalistic natures retreating with the boy acting as the lever or talismen to his father's primitive natures.

Zack commenting about being a robot could not but make me be reminded of the fact the solder's training and their experience turns off their humanity and Jaden reminds him how far he has run from it. Also with the reality, they turn it off in order to survive battle and how scary it is to come back to normal society.

Another thought about this is a parent soldier being away from their children. Time flying by and memories being missed. Even for parents missing the occasional one is hard enough but missing whole months is heart wrenching. It just adds another level of pressure to life and relationship. But this is just darkly twisted. His homelife obliderated while he is away fighting his demons.

Bringing the war home is probably one of a parent soldier's worst nightmares. An artifical sense of disconnection between the warzone and the homefront is wanted but its not always there. A wall between fatherhood and soldiering but here its total war. No rules, no restraints. Jaden's injuries just adds to the tearing apart of Zack's life fabric...and his guilt. Just one brick you added to his burden.

The hate has me worried. It can be savage, saving and destructive. So many ways to go with that. But the constant questions and grief could make him insane. But the stripping of the aliens of any concept of mercy for them does not limit his options. But at what cost?

But perhaps maybe that is what is needed. To force the aliens to understand what a human is. As they say curiosity can be lethal. To shove their morbid (?) cursiosity back down their throats.

Zack's self-description seems to be a person who has accepted himself as he is. A human welder of destruction. A destroyer of lives.

Words can have so much power but sometimes the need to connect the thoughts to words is impossible.

But even with Jayden around, there's so much the presence of a child can do to prevent the destruction of a father with lethal training.

Marrying childhood memories with battle ferocity and combat is mixed with sadness. A poisoning of the happy times with the blood of the enemies.

The chase just seems so slow motion in my mind with the sreams and rounds wizzing by their heads as they run towards the only hope they had.

The ending with US national anthem lyrics in the story just brought life and hope to the depressing mental scene. Only to die as the innocent did.

I detected some form of detached glee with the enemies deaths after the attempted escape.

The last line is the cold brutal truth even with the questions and guilt. The chapter title brings up my knowledge of the Halocaust and the related testing or extermination.
Wyntirsno chapter 4 . 10/31/2012
So sad. Poor little Jayden, he must have been so confused. I wish Zack could have saved him, so hard for a parent. However the story seems to be going downhill for the characters, maybe its better this way. Still very sad.
No one left to fight for but themselves? Hopefully there are others somewhere.
owlhero chapter 3 . 10/20/2012
It is funny about human beings. Sometimes we are so desperate, we will believe or do things we would never do under normal circumstances. We would be willing to drop everything if only for a better chance at survival or a better life.

A few words can change who we are. At what cost though? Our souls? Another question to ask whether those fragile beliefs make us human? Or is the relationships and feelings that fill. Or is it all of it?

I love the reference to Ancient Egypt. Even then you can tell in some way they fighting to find who we are as sentient beings. How we climbed from the trees and learn to form groups to hunt. When morals did not exist.

We are now but a few msitakes or disasters from going back there. The wars constant reminders of what we could be and was. We are disgusted with the possibility. Afraid of its destruction of our civilized world as a result of this impulse.

The blind seeing made me think of the idea that they are not biased or "blinded" by the look of a person for sometimes the voice and words speaks for the person's soul.

The spilled blood remincent of the slain in the past and the future due to primitive natures. Ever constant.

I have to wonder if these aliens forced Zack in the dark to see another side of him. Fear. Fear is another way to find our truer selves as we search to find our inner strength. Or not and become our own worst enemy.

Why did you taste to describe Zack's realization of his actions. The blood in his mouth from the spray?

"It's funny, when a mind awakes to life in the presence of hope, things like that don't matter." I would have to say hope is the block to the thoughts the brain really does not want to discover for fear of going insane.

What Zack described is pretty the exact motivations of the aliens. How far could they push until we crack or see what makes us tick.

The caged animal is probably true. In the end, we are still animals. Just animals with higher brain functions. But the line is very thin.

The scream shows our social animal mentality. A soldier's training maniplates this tendency for a purpose. Of protection and advantage for a single function.

maybe it is love...so powerful, so overwhelming, its takes over our lives no matter what. The heart pushes until it dies so the scream rings to it like it was inseperable from himself.

So maybe its another test by aliens, this involving a child. Another button to push, another string to pluck. How cruel you can be? I sit with partial dread and wait for the next...

I can see why you were shocked by how it went. I sure am...

Have fun...
Wyntirsno chapter 3 . 10/9/2012
This was a great, and confusing chapter; I think talking to you about it only gave me more questions. I was surprised to see Jayden here, and he is Zack's son.
Now for the non answerable questions:
How did they know where to get Zack's son, how did they get him, where is the mother? Where is Jayden now, since Zack is with Cody telling him this story at the beginning? Jayden is another test for Zack like the food test? That should be enough... even tho I do have more. :)
I hope chapter 4 will be posted sometime in the near future.
owlhero chapter 2 . 8/29/2012
This is faster than expected...

I pray Zack's capture story will be told eventually. There's just so many ways of telling it and untold ways of being held captive. Oh wait its being torn here. LOL.

Their closeness is going torn at best. But war does tear apart the fabric of any relationships and will rebuild into something truly unknown. To ourselves and to others.

The questioning of each other and our reasoning for our action is natural and Zack's almost dumdfoundness at Cody's joining is not shocking at all.

The two lines about time making the impossible reality is very striking. It makes wonder what else is out there for us to choose if only we went with another choice in our lives. What changes in us would come about, the good or the bad.

"They told us that it was natural to keep these things inside. That it was best to forget it, not burden the innocent with those stories." These lines hit my heart directly." I wonder about any possible pandemic of this thought or idea. I wonder how many military vets and other trauma survivers do this becuase they think they know noone would truly understand what they went through. Of course, it could be a matter of human pride not admitting they have a weakness.

A search into the unknown darkness turns a hellish trap. Not much worse than this. The prison adds another dimension to the story. Almost the monsters want to find what makes human being tick. To see what makes us who we are. Just how far are we willing to go for something. Anything including life itself.

The test of the human spirit. So cruel yet the only way they would truly find out about us. Whether civil societized surfaces would beat or lose out to our primitive natures. Zack's sarcastic (?) comment about instincts overcoming morality is so true. Especially when you are eating what could be termed as blood food with the man's death scene hauntinh your vision.

Zack's actions to me are merciful. I mean the guy was close to being gone anyway. And I doubt the monsters knew how to heal human injuries, so the pain will cease with a swift slash. A close death at the end was too close and all too true.

Wonderful addition. Dare say it was better than the first chapter.
BlendedMinds chapter 2 . 8/28/2012
Zack didn't kill for food. Ultimately he killed in self defence and that just happened to be his prize for surviving. It never seizes to amaze me what the human spirit is capable of withstanding. Espeically in harsh conditions such as this one. Under extreme circumstances, he had no choice. I can understand why he choice to block it out and not share his story with his brother at first. This reminds me a bit of the movie "Brothers" with Toby McGuire and Jake Gyllenhaull. Where Toby played a soilder who was forced to kill one of his own men in order to gain favor with the enemy and with it the right to live.

You are having way too much fun with this. :)
flufflekinz8188 chapter 2 . 8/27/2012
If my life ever came to the point where Id ever have to kill someone for food, yeah Id do it... and then feel extreme regret. Great chappie! Keep writing!
Wyntirsno chapter 2 . 8/26/2012
Like Cody said, Wow.
Poor Zack. He didn't really kill the other man for food, though it probably did feel like it. Sounds like the other man was too far gone mentally, even if Zack had just disarmed him and gave him the food, he might have killed him in his sleep.
And the powers that be wouldn't have let him do that anyway, right? They could have made the food disappear to keep the choice from Zack.
Kill or be killed, self preservation kicked in. Same with him finally giving in and eating the food, he wasn't getting fed anything else, I'm guessing.
Question...
If the food never disappeared and never got old... was it ever truly real?
This was a great chapter, very thought provoking. I hate to think what torture you have thought up for the next chapter.
owlhero chapter 1 . 8/11/2012
It took a couple to get into the poetry here but it is wonderful.

But this is pure human spirit, our unwilliness to die with a fight. The core of our making. I got the feel of two young soldiers or drummer boys the eve before a civil war battle in the first few lines. Until the end, when the end of the world comes to me.

The pair facing death when they have no choice, their backs are against the wall. no mercy in sight.
There is also a question of morality here, which you almost always some type of questioning in your stories. Which I love. The question to it for me is how much you are willing to throw away to give the person relief from their pain. Of course, whether or not you are throwing anything away is another matter entirely up to you.

Cody's questioning of his life seems perfect here if he feels if he is going to die.
The twist you put on phrases with the candle and darkness was great use of the phrase as well as using night as the darkness of the heart and the face of death.

This line "Some said the truest of humanity would be born in the absence of hope" hit me the hardest. Some will rise to the occasion while other will wilt, their courage fading.

But here at this moment all that matters two brothers' love and the slim chance they might survive. If not, I know what will happen if one is too injuried to run from battle. They fight not because they can but because what other choose do they have?

Amazing story.
flufflekinz8188 chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
Beautiful little story you wrote! Keep writing! :D
Just-another-lonely-fairytale chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
That was saddening and depressing, but it was so awesome and emotional that *chokes up* oh, this fic's too good for words.
Wyntirsno chapter 1 . 8/8/2012
I like it. And if I didn't know already, I would have gotten it now. :P
I like the feeling you bring out of Zack, they may be depressing, but it shows he has them, and how much he cares for his brother.
How many soldiers have those exact feelings while they are waiting for the battle, not knowing if they are going to come through it or not.
woundedhearts chapter 1 . 8/8/2012
This is such a sad yet realistic look at what our fighting men and women go through. Hope gone but still they continue. Even if there's a lingering fear of failure or death inside them they move ahead. "I was afraid often, but never ran." That quote popped into my mind while reading this. Cody is wounded but yet when the call is made to continue he and Zack return to battle. Love is the only thing left, when all else is gone. Great One shot. :)