Reviews for A Stone's Throw
Summoner Luna chapter 2 . 10/16/2012
Sorry it has taken so long to read part II, but I finally got there!

I love the "water and stone" analogy-not only is it, well, them, but it's a nice nod to their zodiac signs. I don't know if that's what you were going for with it, but that's the first thing I thought of when reading that.

And "pudding!" So fitting that Squall would give such a simple response to that question.

Again, sorry I took so long to read part II, but I found it quite enjoyable!
Eternal Tiet chapter 2 . 9/15/2012
I’m finally getting a little time to catch up on the submissions, I apologize in the delay. That said…

Another wonderful chapter. I still can’t believe how much you’ve grown from The Promise. You’ve captured both of their personalities perfectly. I loved the symbolism with the rock – that would be my favorite part of this (well, aside from the Rinoa/Squall emotional interaction, that is) what simple meaning an imperfect stone could hold.

The one thing I’m in shock over – and rightfully impressed – is skipping a stone that many times. On top of that, counting that many skips. My brain just doesn’t register that quickly, I guess. Gotta say I love it, plus now want to go out and skip stones. Of course your husband’s art ties the piece together, but I’ve already praised his accolades enough, all I can say is that you a very worthwhile muse for his ‘mad skillz.’

Thank you for taking part in the “Where I Belong” challenge; it’s been great to reconnect after all these years. I wish you the best in everything you do.

Kris (Ashbear / Eternal Tiet)
effect20 chapter 2 . 9/5/2012
Am I crazy if while reading the end of this I was screaming at my phone "SQUALL DON'T DO IT! NO DON'T DO IT SQUALL" there are now people who think I'm crazy...

Great fic and perfect complement to possession.
effect20 chapter 1 . 9/4/2012
Everything seems to be going well. It's funny knowing that at some point it went to nightmare mode.
Emerald-Latias chapter 2 . 9/1/2012
Rushed? I wouldn't have known the difference in a million years. This is oh so wonderfully awesome and intricate as always. Hands down, between this and Possession (duh), I swear that you have the best characterization of Rinoa and Squall ever. I just...it's so inspiring, really. I wish I had it down pat this well because I can't find a flaw with it for miles. Rinoa's the right amount of silly (I nearly died at her struggling to find a proper adjective and had to stop herself from saying 'good with his hands'), hopeful and endearing.

Getting back to the fic, you really really captured the dynamic of a person sitting in limbo romantically. There's always that last bit of hope you never know when to quash as much as it aches and, almost by serendipity, something happens to renew your faith in what could be.

Knowing what happens next, I loved the way you wrote the sudden shift in Squall's behaviour - just had the right amount of subtlety. Interesting idea about why Squall likes wearing the coat. I'd done something similar (an accidental training scar) and I very much like the idea. I also liked how they inadvertently worked together to learn how to skip stones in his case and beat the record in hers. Stupid, perfect Squall. ;)

Gah, I'm rambling. I just, really, really love this.
Twin-Lance chapter 2 . 8/31/2012
Pudding. I'm really thinking about pudding right now... Darn you. And I'm kind of cursing the captain of that boat... Squall was so close... Oh well, at least she gets to look forward to playing with his gunblade. ;) Seriously though, Squall holding his gunblades as such a cherished possession is not a surprise to me. I would see his offer as an honor. After reading this, I may not throw rocks at the water without imagining Squall and Rinoa. :)
Bebedora chapter 2 . 8/31/2012
I loved this...especially how you tied it into Possession. Well done.

Rinoa teaching Squall to skip rocks was so sweet, and damn how I wanted him to kiss her! Curse the boat horn!

B
Twin-Lance chapter 1 . 8/30/2012
Very well written. I like how you've captured both Squall's professional side and his stubbornness. :)
Jebus Creiss chapter 1 . 8/24/2012
Sigh... see, THIS is what happens when you rule out the possibility of violence. Or pranking. Did Rinoa forget everything she should've learned from the Timber locals?
Never did read Possession. This, though, has kinda piqued my interest in it. Maybe after the challenge is done...
Ashbear chapter 1 . 8/16/2012
I’d say ‘it’s nice’ but I’m sure countless others have beaten me to it, so in light of being thorough like Squall, I shall hit the thesaurus for a few other choice adjectives: admirable, copacetic, fair, ducky, pleasant, unpresumptuous, winsome, and winning. (Had to throw that in for dear-ol Charlie Sheen – Winning!)

Okay, now that I’ve gotten my difficultness out of the way, me, huh? Great piece of work! I think back to your early pieces and you’ve grown so much from the Promise, truly it almost feels like another lifetime to you I’m sure. The way you portray the characters at that ‘post-game relationship awkward stage is perfect. You’ve captured both of them, Rinoa’s zest for her life and Squall still feeling trapped between two worlds, or two duties. He’s afraid to let himself go, but little hints of humor shine though – little smiles, and little moments of being human, rather than being a ‘robotic commander’ that they’ve all come to expect.

I’m looking forward to how this goes – I’m guessing with the ‘art’ that we can assume that Squall and Rinoa skip stones together, but that sort of makes sense. I, personally, was lucky if I could skip it once, but betting they’re going to end up a whole lot better… plus it’s canon that Squall skips rocks at Obel Lake, so can’t wait to see how the ‘good natured competition’ should go. Love the summary of the story too, so perfect and so true, and let’s face it… it’s nice.

Looking forward to the next part; sorry about the birthday kidnapping and the subsequent ‘post birthday icky-ness’ that ensued. I’m sure it was worth it, plus you got a rockin’ present. Gotta say though, I thought you’d use your husband’s picture as title art. It really is good in that modernistic sort of way. You still need to add it to the collection at DeviantART we really want it in there – just go to your DA messages and agree so it will officially be with the other WiB art. ;)

Looking forward to reading the rest on the 23rd.

Kris [Ashbear/Eternal Tiet]
Summoner Luna chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
Very cute! You write their bickering very well-very rooted not in actual animosity but just in such different personality. You do a really great job of capturing that. I'm looking forward to part II!
Niqsta chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
This was ... nice. Lol.
Honestly, it's a very good piece and it was nice (oh see, now I can't think of any other synonyms or adjectives) to see Squall and Rinoa pre-Possession. But did they really have to kill a wabbit? Poor lil' bunny :(

I couldn't help but laugh at the bit where Squall wouldn't share a bed with anyone. Oh Squall definitely doesn't share a bed, but he'll share a lot more ;)

Anticipate the next entry, wonder what will go down at the Orphanage.
Bebedora chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
Wonderful! I like the tension between the two of them, and how Squall sometimes just doesn't know hie to respond to Rinoa when she gets talkative.

I feel for Rinoa...I was never any good at skipping rocks!

Oh, and the "adult-themed virus"...only Irvine, indeed.

Looking forward to the next update!

B
Missyluv chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
Wow. Lots of tension here. They really like each other, are really good for each other, but yeah, they clash a lot. I like the way you're honest with this - as I feel it's very real to both their personalities - instead of just writing the typical rainbows and butterfly poop sort of story. There was a definite grittiness here. But then camping and eating rabbit IS a bit gritty in itself! And poor Rinoa, ruining the tent. Very easy to do!

Her attempts to skip rocks at the beginning was great for setting up the mood of the story. I'm curious to see what happens next at the orphanage. I almost feel like I need to go re-read Possession. It's been a long, long time. But I remember thinking it one of the best things I'd read on here.

Thanks!
M
Emerald-Latias chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
Again, I am just in awe of your wonderful characterization between the two of them. Most impressive is the nuance of the writing to show the unresolved tension (and the source Rinoa's frustration) in Possession while hinting at the underlying feelings of both parties without making it seem impossible for it to be eventually reconciled. I guess a simpler way of putting it is that you can see the hope for them to eventually be together and not make it seem like mission impossible with improbable odds - which is key to have a believable resolution instead of relying on some kind of 'magical' ending that somehow resolves all and detracts from the struggle itself. Also, I very much liked the segue between Rinoa's struggle in skipping rocks to walking over towards Squall. What can I say? Well-placed/written metaphors, especially humourous ones, are my weakness.

Belated happy birthday and I will eagerly await the conclusion to A Stone's Throw. :)