Reviews for To Hope
UnpredictablyRandomOne chapter 1 . 7/28/2014
This went by way fast. I think I've gotten used to your very long stories. Even though this was kinda short, I loved it! Awesome!
Lena7142 chapter 1 . 8/13/2012
To quote Casey in Mincemeat: Sometimes you get me right in the ticker. :)

I love this fic, and I love that you wrote it for me after I latched on to that one line in your other fic. The whump, the angst, the image of Billy with his heart stopping, moments after he's been regular old Billy... It does wonderful, heart-wrenching things to me.

' Billy, lying spread eagled on the ground, eyes open and staring at the sky in shock. Blood everywhere, covering his shirt, pooling on the ground, staining his lips and running down his chin. Billy, sucking in desperate, ragged breaths, suffocating in blood.

Billy. Dying. '

Gaaaaah! *flails*

You do such powerful, potent things with this fic. Bravo.
TheNaggingCube chapter 1 . 8/11/2012
Oh how I miss this show. We all loved it from the start and the team was just starting to hit their stride.

Great pre-series mission. And of course you know how much I love me some Billy whump.

Poor Michael... all those bits and pieces of his life falling apart.
soccermom72 chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
Awesome
penless chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
Can you feel it? Can you feel the love I'm pouring into your computer screen? Because I really, really am.

You are made of win, as is this fic. As is everything you write. Loved the banter - such perfect moments of humor and lightheartedness. You mix humor and drama so bloody well. I wish I could do that and make it look as effortless as you do. It doesn't matter if the fic is 3,000 words or 90,000: You awe, humble, and inspire me. Thank god you're in this fandom, is all I can say.

Thank you so much! Ready and eager for more :)
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
Of course you already know how much I like this, but it bears repeating. I SO LIKE THIS! And I've said it before, you do wonders with a silent Billy, building on the angst of others around him, showing his impact through them and their anguish. It is just delectably good! You also do a great job of showing the light hearted Billy, the Billy who's willing to do things others would never do if it means getting the needed results. He's heroic without seeming to be glory seeking or overtly arrogant about it. Sigh and I just love a humbly heroic Billy! I also think this positive characteristic of Billy's appeals to me because I'm such a Pollyanna and I get it. Glass half-full! Only he's WAY cuter when he does it.

Fave parts:

"I like it," Billy said, nodding his approval.

Michael had pitched the plan with no frills, laying out how Billy would be alone, vulnerable and outnumbered. "If something goes wrong, we'd never get there in time," he said.

"Essentially you'd be bait," Casey reiterated. "They'll think you're a rival faction. The only reason they'll want the meeting is to scare you into submission."

"But I just have to stand there and take it, yes?" Billy clarified.

"Yes," Michael said. "You'll have a video recorder on you. You just need to get them all on camera, and the mission is a success."

"Even though they'll probably kill you," Casey added.

"And we can't stop them," Michael finished.

Billy nodded thoughtfully. "I still like it."

Michael sighed in exasperation. "You would."

-I LOVE that you preface Billy's positive "I like it" to Michael and Casey's "I don't like it". It's hilarious and says a lot about Billy.

Billy pulled it off well. He was flawless in his cover, and he'd handled the initial phone calls with ease. As he prepped for the meeting, Michael double checked their feed and gave Billy one last look. "Are you sure about this?" he asked.

Billy grinned impishly. "I was born ready."

"This isn't the time to be cocky," Michael warned, because they'd been cocky before. They'd been sure before. And they'd lost Carson Simms somewhere in North Africa to prove their folly.

Billy's smile fell and he looked at Michael earnestly. "This is what we do," he said. "More than that, this is what living is. Sometimes you have to put yourself out there and hope for the best."

That was probably part of the problem: Michael wasn't big on hope.

- Only one word can do this moment! *THUD! The trust here, the understanding and clarity that risk is a part of life and that hope is everything. Just *THUD!

This was what Michael hadn't liked. This.

Billy. Dying.

All because sometimes bad guys took the bait.

Other times, they shot it to hell.

Michael stopped short and stared. Casey came up behind him, equipment in tow even as he passed Michael and went to his knees. He ripped Billy's shirt open, buttons flying everywhere, rending the soiled fabric apart so they could see Billy's chest.

So they could see the gunshots wounds.

Three of them, all to the chest. One was high, toward his shoulder. Another seemed to go straight through the lung. The other was right above his heart.

Casey swore, hands hovering just for a moment before he grabbed the tattered remnants of Billy's shirt and pressed down hard on the wound above the heart.

He looked up at Michael, his face twisted in a grimace. "You know those contingencies you planned for?" he snarled.

Michael blinked.

"Now's the time to use them."

- Okay that sound you hear is me fainting again! Only you'd understand when I say, LOVELY IMAGERY!

Michael looked at him apologetically. "You're going to be okay," he said. "I've got it taken care of. Trust me."

Billy's eyes moved to him sluggishly. He wanted to speak – that much was evident in his eyes – but when his lips moved, nothing came out but blood.

And then Billy was convulsing, body thrashing, almost bucking Michael clean off. Casey swore and tried to give him an ample berth even while putting some pressure on the wounds.

It was a lost cause, though. Even as Billy's body stilled again, eyes closed and breathing almost nonexistent, Michael knew that.

-The tension and pace of everything after this moment just took my breath away. I seriously read and read hoping along with everyone else. It was MAGNIFICENT torture!

Casey snorted. "And a personal nurse to accompany you on the flight home?"

Billy grinned. "Seems like a small price to pay," he said. "Besides, my condition is still precarious."

"Only because you insist on eating like a pig and flirting with everything that moves," Casey said.

Billy's smile only widened. "All important elements of my recovery."

-HILARIOUS! I love that when you finally have Billy talking, it's like he never was injured, the joviality and lilt that I can hear through the words, all there in lovely living color! The leap from fear to laughing is lovely!
robby1925 chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
Great job Faye, loved the story. Thanks for continueing in the fandom...I really do miss these guys!