Reviews for Hunting
Gyreflight chapter 1 . 12/24/2013
Beren and Shelob, and the nightmare horror of a part of the Elder world more warped than anything later days might see (seriously, darkened Mirkwood just doesn’t compare)…

This is a glimpse of the Beren who earned a price on his head as great as a king of the Noldor – pared down to the essentials of will, determination and a terrifyingly practical kind of courage that knows only necessity, accepting neither pride nor failure as options in the face of horror.

Yes, this might well be a man who would dare cut a silmaril from the iron crown, and if this is what Luthien had eyes to see, her choice to match him becomes far more telling of her strength of character than mere admiration for some simpler hero.

The Dungortheb here is a character in its own right, and Shelob herself, already ancient in her malice, but not yet fixed in all she might yet be, still in the process of discovering herself too much the Spider to reach for the Power that could have been her inheritance from her awful mother (for which the later world should be grateful).

As impressive as ever, most beautifully (and dreadfully) written, and not ever forgotten.
AnnietheHobbit chapter 1 . 8/19/2007
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: YOU HAVE AN INCREDIBLE GIFT! You show Beren as he was ment to be seen, for how anyone survive the evil and terror of Dungortheb, without having a will of iron? This man is a survivor, who will not yield to hardship, and you have brought this great part of him to life. He is definitly a man worthy enough to be the lover, friend, companion, and mate of Luthien Tinuviel.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 3/10/2006
The way you describe Beren's state of mind is astounding, and the part with him counting the steps actually took my breath away. This story shows, in striking and chilling detail, exactly what he must have gone through in that time. You have such a way of using little things in exactly the right place on the page - how do you do it? You put together a few tiny references and thought absolutely everything out to come up with a brilliant tale.
jillian baade chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
Magnificent! Poor Beren, so it is that he had spent his strenght getting to Doriath. Here you have drawn a man of great strengh, someone who has tested his limits, and KNOWS what he is capable of. No wonder Luthien loved him, and that between them they reclaimed a Silmaril.
Guest chapter 2 . 12/3/2002
Wow! That's awesome! Please wrote more! I love your writing style... you make good use of imagery and keep the reader captivated!
Morel chapter 1 . 12/1/2002
Wow. That's all I can say - wow. This is frighteningly intense, not to mention frightening. You have done a fine job of creating a conflict without a word of dialogue. Beren is magnificently rendered, particularly as he would have been while crossing that hell-on-Earth (or is that Middle-earth?) that the Gorgoroth and Dungortheb were. I have nothing to add to this story, but I think that "The Hunted" would make a somewhat better title than "Hunting" (no one, neither Beren nor Shelob, is really hunting, but Beren is certainly being hunted, both by Shelob and by Morgoth.) However, this is a minor point; a miniscule blemish on a brilliant diamond. Congratulations.
Mouse chapter 1 . 8/18/2002
While I'm waiting for the next chapter on Timelost *hums innocently* I'll say how much I love this again- for the benefit of people who read reviews before reading the actual story.

The suspence nearly killed me. I kept reading faster and faster toward the end, holding my breath as I counted the steps along with him. The descriptions- terrible in the best possible way, genuinely frightening. Beren himself- almost unrecognizable, more animal than man.

Amazing. Simply amazing.